5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published 3 months ago by it'sjustme!

3.0 out of 5 stars american "what?" story
Being a huge fan of the first & second season, I was really hoping for something just as amazing. The second season not only pushed the boundaries of horror on tv, but was incredibly complex in both character &story. It was always going to be a hard one to follow.
Published 7 months ago by J. T. Merries

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD] (DVD)
It kind of baffled me when I read the reviews saying that this season is nothing compared to the first... As when my partner and I had finished watching it, we both loved every second of it and agreed that it was our favourite season! To be honest, all 3 seasons are intended to differ from eachother and that's what most people probably forget. Personally I thought this season was very good and still remained spooky but had a fun twist to it as there was witchcraft and voodoo magic. Yes, it's no AHS asylum or murder house, but that's why the producers do a different theme each season! If you like all the gore and twisted storylines but still have a taste and value for supernatural teen shows like Buffy, then you will most likely still enjoy this season as I did

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing storyline with Emmy worthy performances from Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates!, 26 Aug 2014
I have watched the two previous installments of American Horror Story, which were both amazing. Coven is no different. I am not a fan of horror, yet I find myself compelled to tune into this show every week. The main reason is Jessica Lange. I can say without a doubt that I believe that Jessica Lange is the best actress on the planet. I watch a lot of TV but this show is at the top of my list.
Coven is a little more light hearted than the previous seasons, however the main horror theme of witchcraft remains with the show throughout its run. Lange portrays Supreme witch Fiona Goode flawlessly! One thing that made Coven so amazing is the addition of Kathy Bates playing the villainous yet often hilarious Madame Delphine LaLaurie. Lange and Bates have amazing chemistry delivering Emmy worthy scenes! I was delighted when both actresses won an Emmy for their characters.

My only criticism is that it felt a little rushed towards the end and I was left a little disappointed with the ending but all in all another amazing story, topped off with incredible performances from Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Frances Conroy, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe. Not as good as American Horror Story: Asylum but still worth every penny! I cannot recommend this show enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't watch the first two seasons of AHS because the stories didn't interest me at all, however when I saw 'Coven' being advertised here in the UK it got me intrigued & from the first episode I was hooked!

Jessica Lange along with Kathy Bates & Emma Roberts are stand outs for me as the make this entire series explosive just by being on the screen!
Especially the way 'The Supreme Everlasting' Fiona scrambles to keep hold of her throne does her downfall seem even more certain, this series of Coven is easy to get into and completely indulgent in the best way!

3.0 out of 5 stars american "what?" story, 18 Jan 2014
As another reviewer has pointed out, if season 3 had followed the same vein as the awesome title sequence it could of been something pretty special. As it happens, the horror element seems to be seriously lacking here, being replaced with comedy instead. Maybe the creators are reaching for a wider audience?
Some of the characters (particularly the girls) appear rather undeveloped with very little back story & the minimal storyline seems to meander along without much direction.
It's not all bad though, it does feature a nice homage to the evil dead via a zombie attack & some other bits &pieces, but it just isn't that dark or complex compared with the two previous seasons. Also the only character I found vaguely creepy, was the voodoo devil "papa" but he was strangely under used.
I heard that they've already started filming season 4 & I'm hoping that they will come back with something amazing again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not great!, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD] (DVD)
A disappointing third series. After seasons 1 and 2 , I was expecting a really dark, twisted 3rd series but what you get is " Hogwarts in high heels". The opening credits and images are really good, promising devil worship, sinister rites, demons and satanic magic, but the actual stories are nothing like that - a school for witches - irritating teenage girls - with some conflict with the local voodoo practitioners, zombies who look like refugees from a Michael Jackson video, adolescent fumblings and Jessica Lange chewing every available piece of scenery in sight. This series lacks the outrageousness and darkness of the previous two - it's okay. You have to wonder what happened - did the makers of the programme want to avoid causing offence to wiccans or the Church of Satan? Or were they after the "Twilight" fans? Either way, it's not a patch on the first two!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 2 Mar 2014
M. Sherlock (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD] (DVD)
Have just watched the whole 3rd season good story well acted by all will be checking out season 1 an 2 now might buy it on bluray if I can buy all 3 seasons in one box set looks like each season has a completly different story.
Just noticed will be end of 2014 to get all 3 seasons in one boxset will buy season one an two boxset on bluray now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Least Favorite Season!, 27 Jan 2014
Season 3 lacks what season 1 and 2 had, the ability to hook fans/me.

The subject of Witches can go a number of ways, this season was SLOW and Predictable.

We see the witches use there powers every episodes but your left shouting 'is that it!' !!!

The entire season story line could have been told in a few episodes but it was Dragged out for 13 episodes.

It is twisted and dark, just not as twisted and dark you would expect after season 1 and 2.

I hope season 4 is a story what make us crave more week by week and not another let down!

5.0 out of 5 stars American Horror Story - Coven, 16 Feb 2014
Mrs. Lh Tarry "louisehelen" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD] (DVD)
Well I have just finished watching on FOX TV and I loved it!!

Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett are brilliant in their respective parts, and there were actually some very creepy parts in the series. Oh Kudos to the writers to have Stevie Nicks as a witch - awesome!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural Horror Story Of A Twisted Coven, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD] (DVD)
American Horror Story: Coven caught my interest after a coworker at my job recommended this television series to me. Normally, I am not one to watch horror themed television, but I gave it a chance due to my coworker's persuasive take on why the show is captivating. The show centers around the time periods of the 1800s and modern day as supernatural rivalries surface between witches such as the characters of Fiona Good, Myrtle Snow, Marie Laveau, and Misty Day. Despite her own hardened nature,Fiona has a daughter named Cordelia who she loves very much. Fiona and Cordelia end up becoming mentors to the young witches in training: Queenie,Zoe Benson, Madison Montgomery, and Nan. Fiona is doing her best to convince her daughter Cordelia to prepare her young protégés for the magical battles that are about to take place. Initially, Cordelia sees her mom more as a nuisance and just wants her to go away. For justified reasons, Fiona is also naturally suspicious of the motives involving her daughter's husband. The protégés are far from shrieking violets themselves. I must refrain from explaining why for those who have yet to see the show, but the reasons for my analysis of the protégés are seen within the first four episodes. In modern day, witch Marie Laveau and Fiona Good end up having one of the most heated rivalries for certain reasons. This is what I am about to lead into. The other actors and actresses of this season contribute to the plot growth of American Horror Story: Coven in unexpected ways. However, I have to confess that my favorite characters from season 3 of American Horror Story: Coven are a tie between Jessica Lange's Fiona Good character and Angela Bassett's Marie Laveau character. I enjoyed Angela Bassett's terrific portrayal as Marie Laveau because she powerfully held her own magic against forces of racism and being threatened with an old enemy. Angela Bassett's Laveau character also has a magical gift of "summoning" what she requests to carry out her aims. Despite the sinister character nature, I also like Jessical Lange's Fiona Good character due to the fact that she plays a woman who is not afraid to confront the evils of racism during the series and plays both a strong and resilient spirit. For instance, Lange convincingly plays a Fiona Good persona who is not afraid to tell Delphine LaLaurie that she got what was coming to her for her evil ways during the 1830's as a blood thirsty socialite. Lange's Fiona Good character also showed a brilliant complexity when making it clear that she will not tolerate racism and appropriately making La Laurie serve Queenie (after LaLaurie made some disparaging racial remarks to Queenie). I also saw the humanity in her when she got two of her protégés out of brief brushes with the law and came to the aid of a mother in a hospital. Last, but not least, showing the will to keep on going in life even as those around her try to indirectly drive her to suicide.

American Horror Story - Season 3 (Coven) [DVD]