5.0 out of 5 stars How simple can this be
I got this because we have a fab Hardon Kardon speaker set in the lounge that isn ot connected to anything, I opened the packaging, plugged the unit in, got my phone out and linked the two via Bluetooth, inside five minutes I was listening to music from my phone through the speakers, a brilliant unit that does exactly what it says on the tin.

I would recommend...
Published 15 months ago by FLB

3.0 out of 5 stars Hums when inactive
When a bluetooth device is connected and not planing anything, the output from this unit is silent. When there is no bluetooth device connected and when this unit and the speakers are all powered on, there is a noticeable hum.

This was a problem for me, as I wanted it for a set of speakers that are always on and in my bedroom, returning.

Otherwise a...
Published 6 months ago by Chamzamzoo

5.0 out of 5 stars How simple can this be, 23 April 2013
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I would recommend this device to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does What It Says, 16 May 2013
Simon Phipps "webmink" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've purchased a variety of bluetooth receivers - I have them connected to powered speakers in several rooms in addition to using an Airport Express with each, so I can stream music from non-Apple devices. Pairing with my Nexus 7 was easy and there's a power supply so I can leave the receiver hidden and connected to the speaker. The style and finish are better than the majority of other receivers. The blue light is bright and I've stuck blu-tack over it so it doesn't backlight my speaker.

This unit works just as well as all the others and I'd buy one again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite initial missgivings about mains only operation, I am finding this bluetooth audio streamer useful, 16 April 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had thought of using this Aves Mercury Bluetooth audio streamer on the move with our superb MINIRIG Portable rechargeable speaker to save having to use the 3.5mm headphone socket to transfer sound from our 3rd generation iPad (as the cable is a pain when you're using the iPad). But I forgot this Aves receiver is tethered to the mains socket, as it has no internal battery. Still, when we supply power to the unit via either the supplied USB mains adapter or a mini-USB cable from a PC/Laptop, and switch on the iPad's bluetooth, the iPAD always finds the AVES receiver immediately, and the two quickly connect (the Aves is always flashing a blue LED when on, and once connected to a bluetooth device this LED stays on full). Being powered by a standard mini-USB2 socket you can also run this Aves unit off a 12v car power feed with a suitable USB2 car adapter. This Aves Mercury unit is Bluetooth 3.0 compatible and so supports High Speed (HS) and Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) specifications for improved Blue-tooth transfer rates and better audio quality with A2DP/AVRCP bluetooth devices. The units Blue-tooth wireless range is quoted as 'up to' 10 metres, and is certainly fine in any large room.

When connected, the bluetooth audio from the device (i.e. our iPad, Hudl/Nexus7 or Sony Xperia U smartphones) goes to the receiver unit and then out to any amplifier input or line-in via the supplied 3.5mm to 3.5mm plug cable or the supplied 3.5mm to twin phono cable. Volume is controlled from the iPad. After the Minirig speaker, I mostly feed the output to the PC speakers via the PC 3.5mm microphone-in socket (20db gain off) or to the twin phono audio input of our Onkyo HT-X22HDX TV 5.1 surround sound receiver. And this little bluetooth streams audio well, over a decent range in the room, and with good quality stereo sound - distance wise I never go more than 10 feet from the receiver and are often closer. This bluetooth reciever can't pass the audio on to a PC via its USB2 socket though, that's only for powering the receiver. Aves recommend that you switch off the unit when not tethered to a device, so when not in use I simply pull out the mini-USB2 power plug from the rear of the receiver and leave it hanging nearby ready to quickly reconnect when next needed.

The main unit feels solid and well built, and the supplied cables & power supply are decent enough. The receiver has some weight, so usefully it doesn't move about when placed somewhere. Overall I find this little unit more useful than I thought I would, as it's nice to hear the iPad sound liberated from it's tinny internal one, so 4*. It seems good value at 30. As a product I prefer this unit to the Aves Aqua Bluetooth Portable Speaker I also have, as it's cheaper and doesn't have comparable design flaws (i.e. unresponsive touch buttons). The receiver has a one year warranty with returns via Aves website. If you feel that you want a more substantial Blue-tooth receiver than this cheap Aves unit for your HiFi system, also check out the 90 Arcam miniBlink Bluetooth Receiver. For adding Bluetooth to an old style Apple powered 30pin IPod speaker dock have a look at the Cabstone Bluetooth Dock Audio Streamer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, 16 April 2013
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This device is slightly larger than I was expecting - I was expecting something maybe the size of a USB flash drive but instead this is actually around the size of the average smartphone. It is made of a lightweight, somewhat cheap feeling plastic, with a micro USB and 3.5mm jack on one side.

In terms of performance, it connects fairly easily to most smartphones and tablets - I've tried it with both Android and Windows phone and both work perfectly. In terms of music output, however, there were a couple of issues. The first was that the volume tended to be a little on the low side. Whilst that is great if you don't like louder volumes, for me it was a little too quiet. The other issue I experienced was a fairly limited Bluetooth range. It was adequate when both the transmitting device and the receiver are in close proximity, but if the transmitter goes further than a few feet the signal fades pretty quickly which was slightly disappointing.

Despite these issues, it works admirably and if it had a slightly better build quality and a higher grade of Bluetooth it would have made to the full 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is fantastic!! No need for a sonos system, 16 April 2013
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This does exactly what it should and is one of the simplest and most exciting products I have bought for years.

So all this does is, it streams the audio from my iPhone through any device it is attached to.

We have a stereo system in our kitchen which is connected to ceiling speakers. I can stream music, podcasts, youtube audio or anything else without any problems.

The sound reproduction is amazing considering this is streamed through bluetooth. Pairing is faultless and the blue light flashes to tell you it is pairing and remains on when paired.

We were considering something like a Sonos system to stream but this has solved the problem for a fraction of the cost and we are delighted.

No negatives at all - just positives. This is a great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hums when inactive, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver (Electronics)

Otherwise a good unit if you turn your speakers off or have the volumes mostly very low when not in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, 23 Feb 2013
maximus (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
From unpacking it to streaming music to the hifi from iPad through this receiver, it took less than 5 minutes. The sound quality is very good, and compared to plugging the iPad into the hifi dock, it actually sound a little better. The iPad docking method gives more volume on the same setting but if you turn it down to compare to the same output as via the receiver, then the Bluetooth streaming is surprisingly good. Now I can sit in my lounge, listen to hifi with music from my iPad ( be it the iPod app or the Spotify app for example) and work on the iPad while listening to the music.

If you want to connect the receiver into a sound system with Aux-in stereo inputs, the unit comes with 3.5mm jack to phono plugs adapter (very useful) as well as a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable if your sound system doesn't have a spare set of stereo phono inputs.

I have also tried the receiver with my android phone, which works equally well

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective., 19 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I initially ordered this item I wasn't sure if I'd even use it but I'm happy to report that it gets used regularly.

The idea behind it is to act a little like a wifi woggle. It allows you to stream music from a modern device with bluetooth to an older device without. It was a bit of a struggle to get the bluetooth to pair up but once that was done I had no problems. It's larger than a wifi woggle but small enough to discretely hide away.

Sound quality seems fine to me although I don't have the keenest ears. I tend to stream mp3 files so I can't vouch for other file types.

Great idea, great product. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars YES - It does hum loudly when not in use, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver (Electronics)
This device is great, it has superior sound quality compared to some of the better selling bluetooth receivers on Amazon which i have tried prior to getting this one. It also has a fantastic finish and build quality, but is pretty big! about the size of a mobile phone.

My reason for going for the AVES receiver this time is the fact it is permanently turned on while plugged in.. so for use in my car i dont have to push a button down to sync it for every use.. perfect! however the problem is that when there is no audio signal passing through, the receiver produces a very loud hum, id go as far as to say 'buzz' through the speakers. in my case i can live with it as it's in my car and theres pretty much always something playing while im in it, but for anyone looking at this for use indoors then forget it.. the noise really is quite loud.

One other point is the lack of USB cable supplied.. it only comes with a mains plug. For this price i think they could have thrown in a cheap USB cable too!

Overall though this is a good product which does exactly as it sais on the tin, just i think it could do it a bit better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well but hums constantly., 25 May 2014
This review is from: Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver (Electronics)
The receiver is really easy to use and set up so works well in that respect, however when the speakers are on it constantly causes a noticeable hum even whilst playing music.

Aves Mercury Bluetooth Music Receiver