5.0 out of 5 stars Great video quality from a water proof / weather proof unit
Published 7 months ago by Woodburner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camcorder, but WAIT, THERE'S A CATCH
Published 22 months ago by Katie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camcorder, but WAIT, THERE'S A CATCH, 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Panasonic HX-WA3EB-W Full HD 1920 X 1080 Tough Vertical Camcorder - White/Blue (16MP, 5m Waterproof, -10 C Freezeproof, Dustproof, Still Images, 18x Intelligent Zoom) 2.6 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I did a lot of research on active camcorders to find out which was the best for me, and settled on the WA3. However, reading the detail in the downloadable manual, I found out that "the integrity of the rubber [waterproofing] seals may decrease after about 1 year, with use and age. To avoid permanently damaging this unit, we recommend you to replace the seals once each year."

OK, so you either risk destroying the camcorder by not replacing the seals, or you pay to send it away and have them replaced every year. I emailed Panasonic to find out how much this would cost, and was directed to the DK Audio Visual Repair Centre. I lookied on the DK website and eventually found that the base labour charge for any kind of service on Panasonic camcorders was £60 (just for replacing some rubber seals!), plus £10 for them to send the camcorder back to you, plus postage for you to send it to them in the first place. And you're expected to do this every year. I expect Panasonic and DK make a fat sum out of that from customers who have been caught out and had not read the manual before purchasing the item. I phoned up DK and they told me they weren't allowed to give price estimates over the phone (very fishy) and we had to fill in a service request form online, probably comitting us to send in the camcorder, before we found out how much it would cost.

Another thing it said in the manual, not so important but still inconvenient, is that you have to give the camcorder a thorough internal and external cleaning, and let it lie in a tub of clean freshwater for ten minutes within 1 hour of every use in the water, especially in the sea. If you're out and about then you won't be able to do this - it just isn't practical!

So, if you're prepared to spend probably around £80 every year sending the camcorder away for service, go ahead and buy it - it looks like a very good camcorder. That's like buying a new one every 3 years. But unfortunately I cannot afford this and so cannot buy the camcorder. I might have to go for something like the Fujifilm Finepix XP60 instead, although I am looking for a camcorder rather than a primarily stills camera, so I still don't know what I'm going to do. I'm really disappointed because this looked like such a great little camcorder for me and I feel a bit tricked that it actually only stays waterproof for one year. Such a shame. Just wanted to warn others - read the manual before buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great video quality from a water proof / weather proof unit, 20 Oct. 2014
Really impressed with the video quality from this unit. I wanted a weatherproof camcorder for use on holiday and this fits the bill perfectly. It's compact, easy to use and delivers a lovely footage. Stills aren't bad either. Controls are a decent size so easy to use for someone like me with large hands. Some pistol grip type cameras have small fiddly controls but these are fine. Haven't tested it under water yet but have used it in the pouring rain with no problems. I'm going to put some silicon lubricant on the seals that cover the battery and card to see if I can extend the life of them as there's no way I'm paying for them to be serviced by a Panasonic repair centre. Battery life seems OK but I have bought two spares just to be safe. Overall, I'm really pleased with it. Knocks spots off my old Sanyo camcorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 3 July 2013
I needed a camcorder that provided easy use, non-threatening appearance, and the ability to snap decent still pictures as well. This device delivers on all of these and much more. The scene modes are very useful, the image stabilisation, while only digital, is very impressive, as is the option of a digital zoom, after the optical 5x zoom and these do not reduce picture quality as far as I can see. On all of the video quality settings, except the highest, the video files can be edited directly on my iPad 4, straight into iMovie if needed. This was a big surprise and very, very useful.
Some of the buttons are a little fiddly to use, for example, the W/T zoom. I also think some kind of lens protector would have been a good idea.
Battery life is pretty good, but a spare battery (or even two) is essential for being out and about.
While I do not use the underwater capability of this machine, it would be immensely useful for anyone who likes scuba-diving.........(and also if you drop it into the garden pond by mistake). The sand resistance is great for beach movies, and you don't need to worry if you drop it onto the sand.
Overall, I am very pleased with this camcorder.
CC - (London).

4.0 out of 5 stars Was very disappointed that you cannot upload direct from the camera to ..., 29 Sept. 2014
It is a bit fiddly fitting the USB cable without ejecting the battery. Was very disappointed that you cannot upload direct from the camera to a PC (and internet) as I used to with a previous camcorder. I loaded the software included and this made no difference, the PC does not recognise the connection. Luckily I have access to a chip reader and that is how I manage to upload/store data. Camera does not come with a carrying case or extras like a tripod.
It is still early days but I am pleased with the quality of the videos and still shots, and is easy to operate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product, easy to use and user friendly menu, 4 Dec. 2014
Brilliant product , easy to use and user friendly menu , The battery doesn't last too long which would force you to buy some spare batteries which original Panasonic brand are so expensive , so you have to buy replacements and they are not that good neither ... over all is good product ... I wish they had improved the battery life , and also flash light to be on throughout shooting video.

5.0 out of 5 stars A camera with the feel good factor, 18 April 2014
The fulfilment of my order was both very efficient and fast , whilst the camcorder itself embraces all the atributes that you are likely to need and saves you having to carry an extra high resolution stills camera . Its also looks smart and is easy to use ,

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job., 9 July 2014
This is a superb little camera. Firstly the image quality of photographs is very good, almost as good as a DLSR (which we have). Using the recording needs a steady hand as the video appears shaky on playback, takes a little practice but great quality as well. Haven't used it under water yet, not sure we are completely convinced it is waterproof as advised. I did take some close up video shots of my wife's bum as she walked in front along the beach and thoroughly enjoyed the high quality image on playback!! :-) On dry land though, great camera, well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Mar. 2015
Excellent camcorder. Small, compact and videos are sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera does exactly what it says, 17 July 2014
Fast delivery, great camera does exactly what it says.

2.0 out of 5 stars expensive for what you get, 2 Mar. 2014
Very fiddly controls for zooming whilst filming
Possible problems with waterproofing - if after 12 months it must be serviced to change seals etc.