on 16 September 2014
Excellent, full of information and unusual facts. I found it extremely interesting to read on a recent trip to London.
on 30 March 2015
Great delivery, but not for me so I can't review something I haven't read!
on 2 January 2014
This book was on my wish list for quite some time. At the last, I bought it on myself and can only say: I'm delighted. The very good portions of serious (e.g. historical) information and industries insight. (By the way, der Reader: Please pardon my poor English.) Do not expect illustrations. But you won't miss them. Ibell rises life from other sources.
on 14 May 2010
This is a fascinating insight into the world of London theatres - but it is not just for theatre fans. It encompasses such a wide range of related topics that it can appeal to anyone. It is easy to read and makes a great gift.
0Comment7 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2015
This should be a good book. There are a myriad of fascinating facts and engaging stories about London theatre. This manages to miss almost all. It starts well focusing on how theatre developed and where but goes rapidly downhill. It describes St Martins Lane talking about Albery but without noting that the Gielgud used to be the Albery. It is misogynistic never failing to make a condescending remark about how women may have done unusually well in some obscure branch of the industry. It wanders off into spurious tangents full of poorly argued or unsupported personal opinion.

I continued reading only to see if it could possibly get any worse. It can. The grammar and sentence construction is full of holes and impossible to comprehend. It annoys me intensely. I can't decide whether to give up or rewrite it.
on 25 January 2015