5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent enjoyment for the working manager, 19 Oct 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The premise of the writers of this book is that management itself is about bluffing others that you know more than they do - this book is a guide to that but also a satirical look at the theory and practice of the management art.

As someone who has a management job, I recognised what the authors described from the beginning. They really know what it is like to manage in a company and they give you their observations with a knowing wit. I recognised so much of what I see on a day to day basis described here and the authors also pointed out other management absurdities which i have seen but not previously labelled. I was amused to see their idea of meeting bingo where you write down the buzz words you expect to hear and then mark them off as people say them - I have (I admit sadly) actually done this in the past and I recommend it as a way to get through some of the more boring meetings that managers have to endure. A lasting legacy of this book is the fact that you will look very closely at your management practice to make sure that you are actually managing and not bluffing !

What wins this book the fifth star is the glossary of management terms - this is an absolute hoot and I have taken to quoting the definitions to colleagues(for example - "Flowcharts - An effective method of showing simple activities in an unnecessarily complex way" A perfect description of some of the stuff that passes over my desk.)

I was given this book free in exchange for a review.

4.0 out of 5 stars 62 Pages of wisdom, pared to the bone, 22 Mar 2008
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
An excellent source of quotations for business presentations - often, but not always, to set up a "straw man". To give a flavour of what I mean, consider the paragraph on appraisal:

"...avoid it like the plague...good people take their merits for granted...average people can be demotivated by being reminded how average they are...below average people can be hopelessly damaged by being told about faults they do not have the brains or personality to surmount."

Mr Courtis is a chartered accountant, but an expert in presenting the view of the plain-speaking, old fashioned, "man(ager) on the Clapham omnibus". If you can get a hold if it, this book is well worth having - but don't let it be the only management book on your bookshelf, for goodness sake!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite convincing!, 6 Oct 2013
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
I found this latest version (2103) of the Bluffer's Guide to Management a provocative read although I suspect many readers will use it to dip in and out of rather than read it cover to cover. The printed version is produced in a neat, pocketable format.

I think the philosophy of this short book of 100 pages or so is summed up in one quote on page 26 which states " It cannot be stressed enough that the appearance of knowledge is more important than knowledge itself". Whilst I don't necessarily agree with this view in certain fields - for example, medicine etc. in some general management cultures that may, to a limited extent, hold true and the book has to be judged in terms of its intent e.g. it is a "Bluffer's Guide". The text covers a range of issues such as "The Secret of Management", "Working Titles" (covering issues like the difference between a chairman and CEO etc.), "Demands of Leadership", "Style", "Management Skill Sets", "Tools of the Trade", "Outside the Box", "Gurus and Theories", "Deadly Sins" plus it features a comprehensive jargon and glossary section with space for your own notes.

What I like about this book is that because of its brief, punchy style it provokes a lot of thought about what is being said, and, in my experience, there's some truth in what is said. The brevity also challenges you to think about how you'd approach particular aspects of management or what you'd add to what is being said, so, again, it is thought provoking in an unexpected way. The style of this book is much more informative and less frivolous than I expected. I love some of the terms used, for example, one of the "Sins of Management" is listed as "MSU" - the Malady of Spurious Urgency - haven't we all come across that one before? and what an apt label! I also think the section on "Gurus and Theories" plus the glossary will help to enhance a novice manager's credibility, plus, hopefully, will stimulate them to research further into the substance behind some of the brief mentions the gurus receive here.

I think this little book offers more than you'd expect, plus, it provokes thought about management issues - if you are an experienced manager either by provoking you to think of the issues in more detail, or, to question the statements made. Also, it is inevitable that you will sometimes smile to yourself when you acknowledge that there's more than a grain of truth in what's said in this Bluffer's Guide. It's no substitute for an MBA, but for an aspirant manager it might be much more useful than one might initially think. Recommended in the context set out above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book : Learn how to speak BS.... within hours !, 9 Dec 2004
I received this recently as a present and was pleasantly surprised. It's well written, informative and easy to follow. If you're a manager, you MUST read this book. If you're not a manager, you should read it - Within hours you'll be baffling, waffling and BS'ing your manager, your peers and your subordinates. I'm sure it must be ESSENTIAL reading for Harvard MBA's - (10 out of 10, 100%, Number 1, Etc. Etc.)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you aspire to a Hire & Fire position get this book, 29 Sep 2013
Robin Benson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I never particularly aspired to a H&F position so maybe this is not the book for me because I found it very generalised and lacking in any real facts. The subject doesn't really lend itself to specific detail like other books in this popular series. Wine, Opera, Cricket, Bond and the others are no doubt full of names, dates, places but Management, least in the majority of these pages, is just theory. The last few pages did interest me though, here I read about several management gurus: Peter Drucker; Tom Peters; John Kotter; Laurence Peter and even Shepherd Mead gets a mention for writing 'How to succeed in business without really trying.' The seven pages of Jargon and Glossary was worth a browse too.

Fortunately the book is a handy size to slip into the inside pocket of your Brioni jacket or lab coat if you are reading it at one of those interminable management meetings and right at the end there are twenty-three lined blank pages called Bluffing Notes so you can fill in your own thoughts on the management you have to deal with on a daily basis.

ARRAY(0xb74b08e4)