5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play - Easily handles MULTIPLE Blu-Ray HD streams
First off, this is an awesome product, totally plug and play with absolutely no configuration required whatsoever. Simply plug in your cables and off you go - it automatically detects whichever port has the connection from the router and the which one is connected to your computer or other devices, you don't have to do anything.

I use mine to connect an AV...
Published 9 months ago by The Archer

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine when it works.
Item was delivered on September 1st 2013, it is now Jan 11th 2014.

Published 10 months ago by Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play - Easily handles MULTIPLE Blu-Ray HD streams, 4 Feb 2014

I use mine to connect an AV receiver, Smart TV, Sky HD box and HTPC to my home network. I simply plug in the various devices to this switch and then run cable between it and my main router. Everything connected and configured automatically as soon as it was plugged in.

For a stress test I streamed HD content to the Sky box over the internet, over the Smart TV and over the HTPC. I also sent two Blu-Ray rips from my NAS to the HTPC, each one averaging roughly 25 mbps. All the streams worked perfectly and the switch only got very slightly warm to the touch.

A final good point - the power cable and the ethernet ports are on the SAME side of the device. Many switches have these on opposite sides with is a pain for cable management.

One ANNOYING point -

The older version of this switch would adjust the colour of the LED lights on the front to indicate the speed of the connection over that port. That is, if you had a 100mbps device it would turn orange whilst a 1000mbps device would turn the indicator green. This is quite handy for quickly checking the network is operating as fast as it should.

This particular switch seems to simply stay green, despite the speed of the connection. I've tested it with several confirmed 100mbps devices and a green light is all you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Gigabit Upgrade - Plug It and Forget It!, 26 Mar 2014
Number13 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This has to be the easiest, best value upgrade ever for a home network. No configuration, no `correct' broadband port, no setup. I just plugged my networked devices into any of the 8 ports and they communicated instantly. That includes desktops, laptop, a hardware firewall and a broadband modem beyond it. Each PC immediately `found' each other AND the broadband through the firewall with no IP address changes required.

Obviously the switch is much faster than any broadband you can get, so the network speed really shows for file transfers within your own network. Across a 30m long Cat 5e cable I got 350-400 Mbps and that's with an old PC at one end. I'd expect still better speeds with Cat 6 cables and the latest hardware connected.

The switch is very compact and neat, all the Ethernet sockets and power socket at the rear as they should be with green power and connection LEDs along the front. The LEDs flicker to show data transfer but they DON'T indicate the speed of each connection (100/1000 Mbps) by a colour change, so you may need to check your other hardware and cables to make sure you're getting gigabit speed where you should. I found a network surge protector that was dropping a connection to 100 Mbps level, but I had to look at the PC to find this. And check you don't still have any old Cat 5 (pre - 5e) cables in your network or you won't get high speeds.

The unit only gets slightly warm when busy, it says 3.64W is the maximum power and it meets the IEEE standard for energy efficiency. This cool running means there's no need for vent slots which is good if you want to put it in the sort of dusty places routers and switches often end up in - but it's small and neat enough to stay out on the desk or among your AV boxes.

UPDATE: 8 months later, still working perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit, does what it should, and under load doesn't appear to have any issues., 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Netgear GS205-100UKS 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch (Personal Computers)
Simple to plug and play bit of kit. Don't forget the cables though. Cat 5e or 6 is needed for Gigabit ethernet.

Don't use with lower spec cables or you are just asking for trouble.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine when it works., 11 Jan 2014
Item was delivered on September 1st 2013, it is now Jan 11th 2014.

In the last 2 or 3 weeks this switch has started crashing quite frequently requiring a reboot to bring back the network, I am pretty disappointed considering the switch is only a few months old! I have 10/100 speed switches that are over 10 years old and are working fine, they are just to slow for modern equipment so there is no reason for a switch to fail this fast.

Unfortunately for me this product has began acting up out of the Amazon return window, meaning that I am going have to mess around and send the RMA directly to Netgear.

Cons:
Switch is not very reliable.

Pros:
Reasonably cheap
The "inline power switch" on the power cable comes in handy for the required reboots.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept giving problems so had to replace it, 15 Jan 2014
I have only given this 1 star because after 3 months it kept giving me obscure faults on my home network when accessing the internet. I blamed my ISP (talktalk) for the problems when it was this switch that was the problem. Eventually I replaced it with a Netgear GS108 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, and this has worked perfectly ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and effective, 8 Aug 2014
I purchased this as I'd added a NAS server to my home network. Initially I connected the NAS to my routers one and only Ethernet port by cable while my desktop computer was connected by WiFi. I was horrified at how slow data transfer was between the computer and the NAS, large backups were taking forever. After a bit of research I came to the conclusion that the problem was a combination of WiFi speed and the fact my router only supported 100Mbps Ethernet. The obvious answers was to get a new router, but this looked an expensive complicated solution, so decided to try this relatively cheap netgear unit. I connected the Netgear switch by cable to my router, NAS and computer. Setup was automatic when switched on, I didn't have to do anything else to it at all. The result is just what I was hopping for. Data transfer from the computer to the NAS has increased by a factor of 20 making backups much faster. Internet speed to my computer is unaffected. Of course accesing the NAS wirelessly from laptop, tablet or phone isn't any faster but I never expected it to be. Possibly a newer router with gigabit Ethernet support may of been a better all round answer, but for a cheap simple solution this Netgear switch worked brilliantly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked in seconds, 26 Feb 2014
I opened the box, plugged it in, connected my devices and the cable from my router and that was it, up and running in moments. Sat box, PS3 and Amp happily connected with only one cable round the room which is much better than three and I have a spare point for any new device. Perfect and great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, solid piece of kit, 7 May 2014
Mrs. S. J. Tyndall "Mrs T" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
I bought mine for £13.48, and at that price it's great value. Plug & Play. Everything on my home network communicates fine through it. Home cinema sees DLNA enabled NAS box to stream movies off it, and it now makes my NAS perform like a proper external HDD rather than being limited to 100Mbps which meant it felt sluggish.

It runs cool which presumably means it's not drawing much power, and there's even an inline power switch on the adaptor lead should you ever feel like saving another penny.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have been easier, 19 Dec 2013
J. Holden "John Holden" (Hindhead, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought the GS208 to replace an 8-port 100 Mbit hub. Very tidy unit, with a small power supply that gives off very little heat, and works perfectly. Also bought a handful of Cat6 cables for the devices that can connect at 1 GBit rates, including BT Home Hub 4. The simplest technology upgrade of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little box., 20 Sep 2013
I needed a switch box to connect my Sky box and games console to my router. This box did just the job. Cables connected, box plugged in, job done!

I'm very impressed. It is a smaller box than I imagine too, it's tiny.