Format: Vinyl|Change

on 29 March 2013
I have been a Stratovarius fan for most of my life, I discovered the band as a child and have lved them ever since. I have to admit I id not care too much for Elysium but this album is just unbelievable! Some of the catchiest melodies the band have ever come up with and the best thing of all i the consistency. There is also quite a clear Amaranthe influence on this record, with electronic sounds littered throughout and this is by no means a bad thing as it works so well. Every song on his album is amazing and I'd struggle to choose a favourite! Standouts for me though are: Unbreakable, Fantasy, Dragons, Halcyon Days and If The Story Is Over.
on 21 March 2013
...Which I happen to do. I have listened the whole album three times now, and being a longtime fan, I'm tempted to say this may be the best Stratovarius album ever. Most of the songs are short, fast and have catchy melodies. There are also many fine guitar and keyboard solos. The new drummer doesn't fill Jörg's shoes, but he fills his own shoes pretty well and will surely handle the older material competently on tour.
If you haven't listened to Stratovarius before, this is a good place to start.
on 29 March 2013
Stratovarius has managed to keep their quality despite band members' changes, musical disorientation (2003-2007), internal drama, etc., and that's praiseworthy on its own.
After Tolki's departure, these Scandinavians have found the way to retain freshness and inspiration, and Polaris and Elysium are proof of that. Now, we have Nemesis, with yet another member change, this time, legendary Jörg Michael, but just like with Tolki, they could find a replacement up to the challenge. This record integrates a lot of new stuff without betraying their style. Very Good sound and production, some songs reach to the sky, others are rather flat, but overall it's a good record, especially after that many years writing music.
Try to get the bonus-track version, because they are rather good. Way to go, Stratovarius!
on 4 May 2013
I chose this rating, as I think 4stars is just a bit too low and I cannot choose 4.5. Many of the songs by M, Kupiainen & Timo Kotipelto are very catchy, e.g. Abandon, Unbreakable, Stand My Ground and the contributions by Porra and Johansson give a subtly different flavour to the whole album, especially in terms of melodies and rhythm. For example, the rhythms of Castles in the AIr and Dragons (by Johansson) give a sense of his old days with Yngwie Malmsteen & co, yet have a distinctly Stratovarius melody, reminding me of songs like A Million Lightyears Away and Soul of A Vagabond, as well as Why are we Here (the former two by the ex-member/composer TImo Tolkki).
On the whole, however, the arrival by Kupiainen and the new drummer Rolf Pilve has very clearly given the band a new sense of direction and a fresh start, and after the Elysium "experiment", which in my opinion was good (though not as catchy and classic Strato as Polaris for insinatce).
I thoroughly recommend the Album to Power Metal fans of bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Blin Guardian, etc. Well worth the buy, and I have not even heard the bonus tracks yet!
on 10 April 2013
Many thought it would be the end for Stratovarius when writer, producer, guitar maestro and founder Timo Tolkki left for the second and final time but three albums on the Finns continue to gather momentum. While the first post Tolkki effort, `Polaris', could be described as a solid but typical Stratovarius album, the next, Elysium, pushed the boundaries a little further and this album is easily the best yet. The thing I really like about this album is the diversity in the songs. We all know Stratovarius can churn out hyper-fast power metal with their eyes closed but there are many progressive flourishes on this album with lots of interesting melodies, changes of pace and catchy choruses. My only advice would be to give it a few spins before making up your mind - while their are songs that hit you between the eyes immediately there are some that take a few listens before their beauty unfolds. It's worth 4.5 stars but Amazon doesn't let you have halves!
on 18 April 2013
This is the first album by Stratovarius I have bought having already become a fan of the band. I started my journey with them on Elysium and was blown away only to discover what an amazing back catalogue these guys have with albums such as Elements Part 1 and 2, Visions, Infinite and Polaris. What was interesting is how different each album is compared to the others and how the band is truly progressive in the sense that they don't allow themselves to stagnate in one style. Having listened to Nemesis, I am happy to say they have continued this trend!

This album is notable for being a more straight ahead melodic metal album without much in the way of epic length songs or complex instrumental work. They have embraced a more pop-orientated style and I must say that it suits them on this occasion. Every song has a tantalising intro, an involving verse and a rewarding sing-along chorus. The formula is so perfect that the album feels a lot shorter than it is.

If I had one criticism it would be that they didn't exchange one fast song for a second ballad. 'If the Story is Over' is a fantastic ballad that comes as a prelude to the final track and one just feels there was room for a similar thing at the half way mark. But still, every song on this album is quality and I would have been sad to lose any of them.
on 20 March 2013
I have taken my time to write this review, because i wanted to be sure of my view after many repeat listens, but , for me , i am sure that this album at least equals anything else in this legendary band's catalogue, and i am a massive fan of this band.
a track by track review i feel is not necessary in this digital age where you can stream anything you want if you want to try before you buy, its what i usually do, so i shall just state that there is a very bold fresh reinvention of the Stratovarius sound fans such as me love, and it works brilliantly for me. And what seals it for me is that the sonrwritinNemesis [Digipack]g is absolutely killer all the way through , matching the glorious peaks of the best of the Tolkki era - which are some peaks!! Furthermore , as expected the band members are really on their game- of course there could be nothing less than this of course , but they do sound very inspired even by their own heady standards. Jaw dropping in fact. This is Stratovarius for sure at the height of its powers yet again. One of the very finest albums i have ever bought.
And one more thing , the extra price of the digipack is well worth it as the two bonus tracks are superb and definitely not to be missed out on.
on 21 May 2013
I was very skeptical in purchasing this album as I wasn't too keen on the previous recent albums ie Polaris. I liked Elysium but I didn't believe that Stratovarius could produce a great album again, but I was proven wrong.

I loved all the songs on this album, many of the tracks I am still singing along too hours later. With a song about Dragons that suits me perfectly. Anyone who loved the old Stratovarious such as Element 1, Hunting High and low etc... then do check this album out.
on 24 December 2013
read some reviews of this band so i thought i would give them a listen.well glad i did. good lyrics and voice, very good guitar play and musicianship all round.
on 9 January 2014
I love this band and this CD was not a disappointment.It was definitely money well spend.I think I've played this CD to death.