5.0 out of 5 stars Samuel Johnson and Hester Thrale
Having recently read a book about Samuel Johnson and his friendship with Richard Savage, I looked forward to reading this book about Johnson's friendship in his later life with Hester Thrale, who lived from 1741 to 1821, and whose writings are a vital source of information on Johnson's life. Her eldest daughter, another Hester (nicknamed "Queeney") was born in 1764 and...
Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by Keen Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Well researched
Bainbridge has researched her subject well - I came away feeling that I had learned something about the characters of a number of famous names - James Boswell, Joshua Reynolds, Fanny Burney, etc. However, the tale itself felt disjointed at times with the technique of switching between centuries (Each chapter is interspersed with a letter from the older Queeney, looking...
Published on 4 Jan. 2003 by Gillian Caddy

5.0 out of 5 stars According to Queenie, 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: According To Queeney (Paperback)
I bought this book after seeing Beryl Bainbridge reading excerpts on the TV. Very enjoyable, details of the life of Samuel Johnson.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 22 Sept. 2014
My first read of Beryl Bainbridge's work and not the last. A good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 July 2014
This review is from: According To Queeney (Hardcover)
item is good just as described, thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Why the rave reviews?, 2 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: According To Queeney (Hardcover)
I read a lot of historical ficiton, and I was looking forwards to this one. It had a ton of excellent reviews and many people seemed to have greatly enjoyed reading it. Interesting, as a lot of reviewers are very snotty about historical fiction (not a "good" enough subject, like science fiction. Take a look at the reviews in newspapers of Tolkien, no one wants to admit to enjoying it for seeming a geek freak). Anyway, off I went, read it straight through, although it was a hard slog. The characters don't seem to be at all well developed, and I failed to have any sympathy or empathy with any of them (heavens, I do with dry historical writing, so I should with a novel). By the end it was a relief to see the death of Johnson, as I had pretty much had enough. This really isn't a terribly good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and profound, 11 Sept. 2009
Readalot (West Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: According To Queeney (Paperback)
If you're looking for a review that does real justice do this book, far more than can I, read 'BOOKER COMMITTEE' by 'Taking a Rest'. Having just finished the book, I've read many of the reviews on these pages and that one really sums it up. Sorry, I'm not wishing to review the reviewers! It wasn't an easy read but was worth the effort and I wouldn't attempt to describe it better than the reviewer mentioned. My thanks to them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
as advertised

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Sept. 2014
Enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars ACCORDING TO QUEENEY, 20 July 2013
This review is from: According To Queeney (Paperback)
Strongly recommend this seller. It arrived in double quick time well before the "expected "delivery date.
I have not yet had time to read my book so cannot give it a review.
I look forward to starting it sometime soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars View from the margin, 26 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: According To Queeney (Hardcover)
I searched in vain for a plot or a person that I could care even slightly about. I read three-quarters of this book (and love historical fiction!) but I admit absolute defeat. I can see that many loved this book by reading the reviews, but after pages of strange people behaving rather strangely, I felt completely unmoved and uninterested.