4.0 out of 5 stars better than we had any right to expect
Well I'll admit, the genius marketing scam of issuing "Where Are We Now?" out of the blue with no warning at all certainly worked on me. I've got Bowie's last few albums, and they all have their moments, but I didn't buy any of them when they came out and perhaps partly because of that, I've never made the effort to really get to know them. I was mostly content to...
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by freewheeling frankie

3.0 out of 5 stars Bowie's Back, If Not to His Best
There's a great line in Matt Beaumont's "E Squared" which talks about how hairdressing can enhance the creative process: "It's no coincidence that during his most fertile period, Bowie sported some of the wackiest hairdos in history. As soon as he got the bank clerk cut in the 80s, he went right off the boil". For the last decade, it hasn't mattered what...
Published 4 months ago by Mr. Iain R. Wear

‹ Previous | 152 53 5460 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Classic Bowie well worth the wait. His ability to produce great music after his long career is truly an amateur achievement!

5.0 out of 5 stars He's great, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I love it, but the person I bought it for was very disappointed. He likes the David of the 70's

5.0 out of 5 stars Music, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Future son in law had this on h is wish list and was more than happy to receive it. Thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had anticipated., 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I chose this rating as I thought that it lacked the pezzance which always attracted me to Bowie music.

This album has a varied choice of melodies & tunes.
I beleive that this alnum will one of those that the more you listen to it the better it becomes.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love David Bowie, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I'm not too keen on this album but I'm sure the more I listen to it I will grow to love it.
The CD arrived in perfect condition and well packaged.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 27 April 2013
L. Freeman (Lancashire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I definitely prefer David's older albums. I have been a fan since 1971 - how old does that make me?
Favourite is still Ziggy Stardust, but I suppose we should move on with the times.

I have this CD in the car, and it is good to drive to. Not safe to drive to some of his other CDs as the passengers keep bursting into song!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 13 April 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Not in the same league as Heathen, but some nice tracks. Hopefully, I'll get to like it more over time.

4.0 out of 5 stars It`s good but it`s not the second coming, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
First off, I have every Bowie album and I have been a fan ever since that Top Of The Pops show of Starman in July 1972. I`m saying that so you know where I`m coming from.
However this album while good is not as good as some are saying.I wonder if this album had come out in 2005 or 2006, two or three years after Reality, the reviews would be quite so gushing?
Yes it contains some great tracks but in my view also some not so great tracks too. I actually prefer Heathen and Reality as they are more tuneful. If Mike Garson had been playing then I think that could have made the difference. I hope he plays on the next album, (if of course there is going to be one).
As for the mastering, now that is a surprise.By todays ridiculous standards the mastering is a revelation, so well done to Bowie and the engineer for that.
All in all i`m over the moon that Bowie is back, but let`s not get carried away, this album is no second coming...Let`s hope the next one is though.

UPDATE
After more listens some of the tracks I thought were weaker have grown on me,but I got it wrong about the mastering. I initially thought it was good but now realise it is poor with limited dynamic range. There is also a muddy quality to the sound which may or may not be deliberate but also may be due to the loud mastering. According to the DR Database site the average dynamic range for the cd as a whole is 6db, with 4db minimum and 7db max....That is not good!

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (MP3 Download)
The David Bowie story ends with Scary Monsters. Everything else that he released after it sounded desperate, boring and uninspired. There were always one or two good songs on these albums, but as a whole they were just forgettable. It is simply a pity that he returned after his long absence. I already forgave him for his sins since Scary Monsters, and now this!

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
Not sure what I was expecting but I afraid I did not gel with this at all. Maybe ok for the Bowie purists.

‹ Previous | 152 53 5460 | Next ›

The Next Day
The Next Day by David Bowie (Audio CD - 2013)