Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 April 2013
I've seen so many 5 star accolades, and all have merit - but possibly these reflect the sign of the times in that this is "the best new album in ages", but its not the best Bowie album.

With references spanning his entire career (lots of Lodger, Heroes, Heathen and snippets of Alladin) you'll hear a man who is singing brilliantly but also covering new ground, but you won't find any snappy little ditty that you'll be humming for week's afterwards - this certainly isn't an album of singles (despite the 2 releases) but one complete piece that I would recommend is played in its entirety.

The three bonus tracks are worthwhile too.

One negative - the lyrics to Boss of Me are almost as bad as Gospel According To Tony Day - despite the great music underneath....
on 9 April 2013
The greatest living singer songwriter this country has ever produced, its been a long wait, but the wait has been worth it, David gives us a staggeringly brilliant album. i can not fault a single track on the album, anyone who does not like this album, basically you dont like proper music, proper songs. 11/10 IS MY RATING
on 25 March 2013
I'm writing this as I mould to the grooves of this album. and while it doesn't strike me as a classic, I find myself unable to dislike anything Bowie does, because, well, it's Bowie and there is no other artist like him.
I agree with other reviews that it is much like "Hours" and "Heathen", both worthy albums. And I'm reminded that I hated the "Outside" album back in the mid-90's on the first listen, now it's one of my favourites. So this effort will no doubt follow the same path.

For now, I'm just grateful that we can still enjoy new music from the greats of "that" generation where music was crafted the ole fashioned way by artists that were truly gifted and creative and made their own rules in life. Afterall, when these guys go, what are we left with?
on 11 April 2013
After two delayed releases for the vinyl of this album, it finally arrived last week. I had resisted the urge to get a quick fix CD copy, so this was my first listening, and I think it will take time to appreciate the album in full. For the most part it is excellent, and Bowie sounds great, strained and tortured all at once!

The Vinyl itself is a two disc effort with some very interesting artwork and a continuos lyric layout which looks weird! The vinlys are the heavy duty variety so should last a long time! Oh and they sound brilliant! I'm looking forward to listening again just typing this....

Plus I got it at the pre-order price, so saved nearly £10, thank you Amazon!

Enjoy
on 3 February 2014
Bought it for a friends birthday didn't realise it came with the CD version as well. Great price. Well packaged!!
on 4 December 2015
When this album came out it was a total surprise. And when I played it from the very first time, I totally 'got' it. What I loved was the lack of hype on its release. He has a new 'surprise' release any timrenow. ...fingers crossed....I for one feel he will not disappoint
on 8 April 2013
The next day arrived totally without any fanfare and after 10 years of silence so how is it?
The two singles are good, I'd rather be high a hard hitting critique of war and youth, the balance a slow burner that merits multiple listening. The lyrics are typical Bowie, from pop to left field (think Outside).
Probably the fourth best album after Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters on a par with Outside and a very pleasant surprise after so long; definitely NOT the music of a 66 year old pensioner and please can the press stop reprising Angie's tired recollections and concentrate on the man, the music, the giant of the last 40 plus years. truly unique.
on 5 March 2016
Wow, this CD is absolutely fantastic. Great tunes, great lyrics, special mention for Dirty Boys, Where are we now?, Valentines Day and I'd rather be high, although the whole CD is really good to listen to. An absolute must for any collection in my opinion.....
on 24 March 2013
A lovely album,
Its not Bowie at his Best, But good.
I have been a Bowie fan from day one.
The last Bowie Album to really grip me was "Outside" I played it non stop,
His Albums With Brian Eno were fabulous,
This Album I've played a few times, its just got no teeth. lots of echo's of past glories.
nice , but not cutting edge.
This album is still far better than a lot of stuff around at the moment, hope it does well.
But what's with that cover? looks like someone slapped a post it on and said that will do.
I hope Bowie gets back with Eno and lets have some strangeness again.
on 20 March 2013
A fine record and no mistake. It is a grower, not a grab you by the lapels like the majestic and ever changing seventies long players. My slight gripe is that Mr Jones does now seem to have a Bowie sound. There is real consistency between this and the other Visconti records: Reality and Heathen. Both of these are equally good to these long term Bowie lugholes.

My favourite post Heroes record (lets try a different benchmark) is Outside, by the way. There really is no need to go back to the early eighties: Bowie like his hero Lou Reed is still making exemplary music. Lets be glad.