Colour: BlackSize: XX-LargeChange
Price:£54.99 - £94.99

on 8 February 2015
This jacket is great at first but declines rapidly in performance after 1 (2 years max). I’ve had 3 of these jackets and cycle 14 miles round trip 4 to 5 times a week in all weathers. After about a year however, the same weaknesses come back over and over. Firstly the breast pocket seams are glued and not sewn. The glue on the seam gives way, even after moderate use. This is really annoying as it is useful for carrying a phone or MP3 player. Secondly the stiff plastic surface to the velcro wrist straps always split. They don’t break as such but simply hang on the remaining fabric. Normally I don’t bother contacting big companies like Altura about faults because, well you know how it is. However, these faults were so consistent that I made the effort. Altura were friendly but insisted these faults hardly ever happen. Well, it has happened on ALL my 3 jackets (so take your choice)!

Also, the cleaning instructions are vague and I saw nothing about this on the official web site. It could have been there or even on the initial jacket tab, but again, you know how it is.

The forums on cleaning are all confused. Over 40 degrees or not? Tumble dry / don’t tumble dry, use waterproofing liquid in the wash or not? One thing you will find is a list of people who have ruined their jackets in the wash.

To conclude; if seeking the definition of built-in obsolescence then go no further. This is a great but short lived but disposable jacket. If you don’t need the high visibility then I would suggest buying a better quality jacket with sewn seams and a means of washing.
33 comments11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2014
Very pleased with this coat although I find it very warm and therefore will be limiting my use to only the cold months of the year. Also the reflectors are very good, although I find the positioning of the arm ones tend to be hidden towards the body when on the bike. Great wind and rain protection. I find the collar a little high under the chin though that's just being fussy. Would recommend this jacket and would've given it 5 stars if it were not for these very minor points.
on 29 December 2014
I originally ordered a large size in yellow for the winter riding my bicycle. It arrived on time only for me to find that it was a XS and wouldn't fit me at all. I emailed the company and sent the jacket back at the cost of £4.49. This error I don't think was the supplier as the label said it was a large size and it was in a sealed bag when it arrived. I only noticed that it was an XS when I looked at the sew in label. So I guess that the was an error by the manufacturer.
On returning the Jacket I hope that they still had a large size. Cycle Surgery, emailed me to inform me that they were sending a large size which arrived in a couple of days, and before Christmas too. They also refunded the postage. Well done Cycle Surgery!!
The jacket fits well and is warm windproof and waterproof too. Its bright so I can easily be seen in the daytime or night time. The quality is good and its well made.
If I have a criticism it would be the pockets are not deep enough and I even lose my tissues (to blow my nose) if the pocket are not zipped up.
The red light attached to the rear pocket is fine with my (Trespass 15L) rucksack on and can be seen easily by motorists approaching from behind. You should always have other lights on your bike and not relay on this one in the dark. Maybe I wear my rucksack higher on my back than other people.
Finally, there are cheaper Jackets around but I think this one is worth the extra money.
on 13 May 2013
Being a regular cyclist in all weathers I wanted a breathable,waterproof jacket. This fits the bill perfectly.a great fit,good ,material and really bright. I had two rides over the weekend, one in sun and one in rain and arrived back dry after both. Great product
on 11 April 2013
Great jacket, the default option for the price.

Pity the hood is extra, otherwise can't think how I'd improve it.
on 23 December 2015
The pros are: This jacket looks good, it's comfortable, it's warm enough and the hi viz bits seems to be effective.

The big con is, and it is a big one: This is not a fully waterproof jacket. It's fine for showers, but in a heavy rainstorm water comes in through all the zippers so that I can be soaking when I get to where I'm going. The problem is that there are no proper storm flaps - the material just kind of meets together outside the zip. The pockets are exactly the same. I'm not going to be critical about them being very small, but I've made the mistake of putting my phone in the coat pocket and that has got soaked too.

For a jacket that is advertised as being waterproof this seems to be just downright misdirection. When I cycle in heavy rain from now on I'll go back to putting on my Berghaus hiking jacket, but I bought this coat because I didn't want to wear that for cycling.

The flashing red light on the back is at best a gimmick and at worst it is a real annoyance. First of all, it isn't really bright enough to be any kind of replacement for a proper rear light and secondly if you're wearing the coat at any time when you're not on the bike then you'll be switching this light on and off every time you sit down or lean against anything. If you're cycling wearing a backpack then it gets covered up anyway. I'm looking forward to the battery running down.
on 9 September 2013
This jacket is definitely a high quality item for those who do a lot of commuter cycling. Just be aware that the sizing can be quite different from existing Altura jackets. I bought this to replace an existing Altura jacket, also XL. The arm length was about right, but King Kong could have got in beside me and still left space. I'm 6ft 1in and 85kg and have had to go for a Large. Body room is still generous but arm length is a little lacking by about 1-2cm!
Still love the jacket and can't fault the quality. Delivery was first class and returning the jacket was made very simple
on 3 September 2014
EXTREMELY comfortable and light, yet warm - - but not hot, and very waterproof.
I've been using it summer & winter, with only a Base Layer underneath in the cold weather (it has zippered side vents for the warm weather)
3 zippered front pockets, and large zippered back pocket, with built in "button" rear light.
Surprisingly, the zippers are somehow waterproof.
I don't leave home without it.
on 14 November 2015
The first review on this list is totally correct

This jacket is good for a year and then it starts to degrade

I had Exactly the same problem with the hard plastic splitting on the wrists on both jackets I have bought.

The waterproof membrane starts to delaminate from the outer after about two washes, (I only used gore-tex washing liquid)

The seams around the pockets start to come apart.

It happened on my first one and again on the second same jacket

I bought the second one because it was on special offer at £59.99

If you can get one for £55 then for 12 months use it is fine, but don't expect it to last much past 18 months.

As another reviewer has said, the breathability is not very good also.

Its main attributes are, it looks and it fits very good. Which is why I suspect it is popular, however don't expect it to last

I only do about 5 miles cycling 5 times a week, so not a heavy user either.

Don't think I will buy a third one, however it is currently £55 on Amazon, so I maybe tempted. Certainly wouldn't spend £90.

If you are thinking of doing so, spend an extra £50 and get a Gore-tex or even an Endura jacket , as I understand from others that they tend to last a lot longer, even though they are not quite so stylish.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2013
i am very happy with this Alura Hi Viz jacket its a good fit with room to move, i like the zipped pockets for holding keys, phone,etc.the jacket looks real good and keeps the wind +water out. i have this jacket a month now,i wear it while riding my Boardman road bike. Its lightweight design is perfect for cyclists.i would highly recommend this jacket to my friends.PATRICK.