5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for swimming
USAGE CONDITIONS:
I have been using the Walkman for four weeks now. I am swimming every second day for 1.5 hrs - all strokes but majorly front-crawl and backstroke and some fly and breaststroke also.
I'm a competing approx. four times a year. So, one could say I'm not a pro-athlete but not a pure amateur who swims for fitness purposes only.

I'm...
Published on 20 April 2013 by m_schell

1.0 out of 5 stars This Thing is Complete Gargage
Published 10 months ago by Meko

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for swimming, 20 April 2013
USAGE CONDITIONS:

I'm telling this to you so you know under what exact conditions the player is used and how it performs.

GETTING STARTED:
When I bought the player and used it for the first time, I was able to reproduce the malfunction other reviewers describe here.
If too much water gets into your ear it gets into the player too and as water isn't particularly good in transmitting sound waves, the volume goes down to a level that I would describe as: the TV/Radio is playing in the background.. It's there but you don't really pay attention to it.
You don't have to let the player dry out over night, with some firm tapping as described in the manual (don't be too shy.. it has to be quite firm without being too hard) you are able to get some of the water out immediately and continue at 75% of the maximum volume - which is quite a lot as the player gets very loud.

The second time I was using the player this issue happened to me much later in my swim-session when I tumble-turnded and pushed of the wall quite hard (We were doing 100m individual medley sprints - for those who wondered). One of the earpieces fell out and some water went in again, the volume went down and I was staying at the end of the lane tapping the water out for a minute or so. Adjusting the strap that gives additional tightness for the player helped and it didn't happen again until the end of the session.

AND ONCE YOU GOT STARTED:
Since then I never faced any severe problems or issues with the player. It took me a while to figure out how to fit it on properly but since than, swimming with music makes the training sessions much more fun and enjoyable.

ADDITIONAL OPERATING HINTS
- An additional hint would probably be to put the player on BEFORE you go into the pool as obviously water gets into your ear and you seal it in your auditory channel if you then put the player on.
- If the player slips off: adjust the neck strap to give the player extra tightness so it doesn't happen again. Additionally, try to get as much water out of your ears and the player as you can before you continue as otherwise, again, you seal the water in your ears and it gets into the player.
- If water gets into the player and the volume drops to a VERY low level, try to tap out some water as described in the manual. IT HELPS (even if it doesn't get out the water completely for the current session you're in).
- Try to find your right earpieces: I didn't mention it above, but between the first and the second time I used the player, I tried some of the earpieces. For me, the pre-fitted ones fit best. But it seems that you sometimes need a different size for your left and right ear.

SUMMARY
I was struggling whether I should rate this player with 4 or 5 stars.
I decided to give it 5 as the initial problems weren't a malfunction of the player.
Here's why: If water gets in, the volume drops. Thats not a problem unique to this device, it's a problem called PHYSICS. Water is bad at transmitting sound-waves. As soon as the water gets out again, the player works fine.
This can happen to you with every other water-usable MP3 player.

Yes - one may say: Sony could do better ensuring the earpieces are sealed with your auditory channel to avoid water getting in. But hey - if you read the manual, they tell you pretty much everything that I just told you, i.e. if you read it, you know how to use it properly.
If you use it properly - it's brilliant:
- Nice sound quality
- You hardly notice that you are wearing it
- Good battery life
- Easy to use

Overall this Walkman is fantastic to make your swimming more fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars This Thing is Complete Gargage, 27 Aug. 2014
This Walkman only worked for a month tops. It constantly needed to be reformatted (every couple of weeks) and the buttons stopped functioning properly. I never used it in the water because I couldn't trust the simple operation of the thing. I owned this thing for about 4 months and it finally stopped functioning all together. The shuffle, play, volume buttons seemed to all be stuck at the same time. The volume kept fading to nothing. When I tried to turn the volume up the shuffle on/ off would sound. Sometimes the set wouldn't even turn on. The ZAPPON function wouldn't turn off and would randomly just turn itself on even when no button was pushed. The charging of the set was horrible too. It would take several attempts of docking and undocking to get it to charge. My computers wouldn't recognize the USB frequently. So basically every problem this thing could have it had. It's not worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product when get fitting sussed out!, 2 July 2014
Ms. C. Norquoy "Carrie Norquoy" (Kirkwall, Orkney) - See all my reviews
I got these as a present from my sister on Monday! Couldnt wait to wear them swimming today, tried all buds and got perfect ones, went swimming and the headphones kept falling out! Really disheartened by this!

Went away and googled if anyone else had this problem and most people said they fixed with securing with goggles but this did not work for me! So...i went and bought a swim cap and this is the best thing i did!!

I now put my headphones on, cap on top securing headphones underneath with ear pieces peeking out and then goggles over the top! They didnt move a mm!! So chuffed this product works coz when i was doing my lengths all i wanted was a bit of music and my friends husband had these and said they were great!!

Rated 4 out of 5 because of the initial fitting problem!! If you want these, expect to have to buy a swim cap also :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 17 Sept. 2013
Light,it doesn't fall off and the sound is superb, much much nicer than the old model which I had to replace. I recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A fault developed when used in the pool the first time., 30 Oct. 2014
I don't know if we were unlucky but we bought this as part of my sons birthday present who swims 6 times a week. It worked great out of the water and was easy to charge and load up with music but the first time he used it in the pool the sound coming from one channel almost completely disappeared. I gave the ear piece a brisk shake incase it was a drop of water in the bud but to no avail. Once it had dried out completely after a day in the dry again it worked fine again so our guess was this unit was just not completely sealed properly. Amazon were excellent as always and refunded our purchase on return without any quibble. Five stars for our seller and Amazon but only two for this item.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, Not Durable, AVOID!, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - White (Electronics)
I bought these headphones as I am a personal trainer and spend a lot of time in the gym and triathlon training. I was excited to use these as there were no cables to get tangled and they were waterproof. I used for a few weeks in dry conditions, and found the left headphone suddenly went dead.

Very unimpressed that they were not anywhere near as durable as they were advertised to be, and I now have to fork out for a new pair. Won't be buying again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic underwater goodness., 16 May 2013
S. Minchin "state_of_flux" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Seeing as I'm genetically half fish (on my dads side, don't ask), I jumped at this clever little gizmo when it popped up. They do what they say on the tin and work underwater. Not flawlessly, as several other reviewers have pointed out, but they FAR exceeded my expectations, and a few sharp taps is enough to clear the sound when water does get in.

The sound quality is clear and crisp with good levels of bass and EQ in general, and the watertight nature of the earbuds means they are rather good at keeping out external noise, which is particularly good for gym workouts, especially if like me you can't stand the cheesy euro-trance and pop rubbish they tend to play for "motivation" at gyms. I've always preferred drowning out that garbage with some solid death metal, so whether on the treadmill or in the pool, these do the trick. I did find it rather disconcerting doing swimming laps to the dulcet tones of Slayer, but once I got used to the weirdness of listening to music in the pool, I found the whole experience to be very therapeutic, and ended up floating on my back, relaxing, and blasting my eardrums with the new Anaal Nathrakh record.

Mint.

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating and fiddly, 7 Sept. 2014
R. S. Garbett "lawnt" (Co.Down) - See all my reviews
I was looking forward to getting these so that I could use them when exercising. So far I have had 10 minutes of use and hours of fiddling trying to get them to recharge and/or work. The controls are fiddly and imprecise. The battery flattens quickly. My computer (using Windows 7) fails to recognise them meaning endless resets and restarts.

2.0 out of 5 stars inadequate for proper swimming. Maight be OK for leisurely swims., 10 Aug. 2014
I found these to be inadequate for swimming. They might be OK for leisurely swims by non-swimmers but they will leave anyone who is more serious about the sport disappointed.

I swim 3 times a week - 5 km each practice (about 1h 40min). I've had these for about 4 months now.

First, you have to know that once water gets into the headphone the sound is barely perceptible. Water can get in simply by the water pressure breaking the seal due to a splash or you might knock them out with your shoulder or upper arm - their design makes this a likely event.

So far, they've consistently failed every time after about 20-30 minutes of swimming. After water has gone into the headphone it becomes basically an expensive ear plug because you cannot hear anything. What's worse is that water seems to be soaked inside the headphone and they take days to dry out. If water get's in the headphone, it will not play properly even when being used outside the water. You have to wait for the water inside to evaporate which takes days.

Battery - if you put the volume to the max (and you will want to when swimming) then the battery appears to last up to 4h but not more (it actually is more like 2.5 - 3h).

Comfort - not great to be honest. If you use a cap you have to tuck them in. You probably will want to use a silicone cap and the tube that wraps around your head will usually position itself between your skull and your year. This becomes extremely uncomfortable after a short time. Of course you can't do anything about it if you've already entered the pool out of fear that moving your headphones will get water inside the plugs. The other thing I found uncomfortable were the plugs but I eventually got used to them.

The charging device of these headphones is horrible. They are so unintuitive that I can't tell if mine are broken or that's how they just are. The docking station doesn't seem to work all the time and it takes a while to get the headphones to start charging. This is very frustrating because often you will leave them to charge only to find out (just before your swim) that the battery is empty.

In conclusion, save yourself some money and skip this one. Look elsewhere. These headphones were made for light swims/jogs in the rain, not full submergence.

1.0 out of 5 stars no use for audio books, 14 April 2014
Although sharing music with my Itunes library was easy enough, audio books are not compatible. I then wasted money on a download from Audible, again the file was incompatible. It should be made a bit more obvious on the Amazon page that not all files work with this player.