5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for swimming
USAGE CONDITIONS:
I have been using the Walkman for four weeks now. I am swimming every second day for 1.5 hrs - all strokes but majorly front-crawl and backstroke and some fly and breaststroke also.
I'm a competing approx. four times a year. So, one could say I'm not a pro-athlete but not a pure amateur who swims for fitness purposes only.

I'm...
Published 15 months ago by m_schell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could be a lot better
This is now the 3rd set of Sony MP3 players now that I have purchased downloading music is very easy to do just drag and drop really
Music does sound really good on these ,I use these nearly everyday at my local gym but they just don't seem to last long and at the price they are you would think that they would last forever.
This new set I have seem to be the...
Published 20 hours ago by ginna

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for swimming, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Sony Walkman Waterproof All-in-One Sports MP3 Player - Black (Electronics)
USAGE CONDITIONS:

I'm telling this to you so you know under what exact conditions the player is used and how it performs.

GETTING STARTED:
When I bought the player and used it for the first time, I was able to reproduce the malfunction other reviewers describe here.
If too much water gets into your ear it gets into the player too and as water isn't particularly good in transmitting sound waves, the volume goes down to a level that I would describe as: the TV/Radio is playing in the background.. It's there but you don't really pay attention to it.
You don't have to let the player dry out over night, with some firm tapping as described in the manual (don't be too shy.. it has to be quite firm without being too hard) you are able to get some of the water out immediately and continue at 75% of the maximum volume - which is quite a lot as the player gets very loud.

The second time I was using the player this issue happened to me much later in my swim-session when I tumble-turnded and pushed of the wall quite hard (We were doing 100m individual medley sprints - for those who wondered). One of the earpieces fell out and some water went in again, the volume went down and I was staying at the end of the lane tapping the water out for a minute or so. Adjusting the strap that gives additional tightness for the player helped and it didn't happen again until the end of the session.

AND ONCE YOU GOT STARTED:
Since then I never faced any severe problems or issues with the player. It took me a while to figure out how to fit it on properly but since than, swimming with music makes the training sessions much more fun and enjoyable.

ADDITIONAL OPERATING HINTS
- An additional hint would probably be to put the player on BEFORE you go into the pool as obviously water gets into your ear and you seal it in your auditory channel if you then put the player on.
- If the player slips off: adjust the neck strap to give the player extra tightness so it doesn't happen again. Additionally, try to get as much water out of your ears and the player as you can before you continue as otherwise, again, you seal the water in your ears and it gets into the player.
- If water gets into the player and the volume drops to a VERY low level, try to tap out some water as described in the manual. IT HELPS (even if it doesn't get out the water completely for the current session you're in).
- Try to find your right earpieces: I didn't mention it above, but between the first and the second time I used the player, I tried some of the earpieces. For me, the pre-fitted ones fit best. But it seems that you sometimes need a different size for your left and right ear.

SUMMARY
I was struggling whether I should rate this player with 4 or 5 stars.
I decided to give it 5 as the initial problems weren't a malfunction of the player.
Here's why: If water gets in, the volume drops. Thats not a problem unique to this device, it's a problem called PHYSICS. Water is bad at transmitting sound-waves. As soon as the water gets out again, the player works fine.
This can happen to you with every other water-usable MP3 player.

Yes - one may say: Sony could do better ensuring the earpieces are sealed with your auditory channel to avoid water getting in. But hey - if you read the manual, they tell you pretty much everything that I just told you, i.e. if you read it, you know how to use it properly.
If you use it properly - it's brilliant:
- Nice sound quality
- You hardly notice that you are wearing it
- Good battery life
- Easy to use

Overall this Walkman is fantastic to make your swimming more fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 17 Sep 2013
Light,it doesn't fall off and the sound is superb, much much nicer than the old model which I had to replace. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Player, 3 Sep 2013
Ideal for sports or around the house. Easy to use, easy to transfer MP3's too and and great sound quality. Get one now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for swimming and gym, 14 May 2013
I have tried two of the Xsories Aquanotes and had to send them both back as they both had product defects where it wouldn't play more than 10 songs and I couldn't switch the shuffle off. I then found this item and it was only 10 extra. I am so glad I gave up on the Xsories as this product is more amazing than I could have imagined. Immensely fast charge (you can do a quick charge for 3mins to get 60mins!).

So easy to transfer my music too - no need to worry about the format, it has played everything I have copied over from my Apple Mac so far.

Very light, nice design that does sit close to your head - so less resistance against the water which could make the ear phones come out.

The first time I swam it was a freaky experience. Started the music playing and put my head in the water to do Front Crawl. There was NO change in the audio at all.. If I didn't know better I wouldn't believe the were under water.

First time, 20 lengths before I got water in my ear and the volume dropped. As per the instructions tapping them did work. However, I then did start to have problems as my ear was then wet. 2nd visit I took a face cloth with me (I have a bag at the pool to keep another pair of goggles to hand/ear plugs etc so the face cloth was dry). When the problem happened again. I tried the tapping, didn't quite work so I followed the other instructions to take off the ear plug, wipe the end. I took the opportunity to dry my ear first and I was off as good as new.

I then tried changing the earplugs to see if it made any difference. I must admit, I couldn't see any difference in the size but wow - I'm now off and running. Next visit - 70 lengths before I got water in one ear - I just kept going the last 30 lengths as the sound in the second ear was sufficient.

I have been twice since - 100 lengths front crawl both times and no drop in sound quality at all.
The key seems to be, put them on first. If wearing a cap, put it on and pull it down until just the player stick out - no movement at all.
When you get passed the fitting issues - you will forget its there and just get to focus on the swimming with the company of some good music for distraction. This product is definitely worth the teething issues.

I can only think the negative reviews have not tried some of the alternatives out there. Get this product - what have you got to lose!

Only improvements:
More choices in ear bud shapes may keep more people happy.
A case would be useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic underwater goodness., 16 May 2013
S. Minchin "state_of_flux" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Seeing as I'm genetically half fish (on my dads side, don't ask), I jumped at this clever little gizmo when it popped up. They do what they say on the tin and work underwater. Not flawlessly, as several other reviewers have pointed out, but they FAR exceeded my expectations, and a few sharp taps is enough to clear the sound when water does get in.

The sound quality is clear and crisp with good levels of bass and EQ in general, and the watertight nature of the earbuds means they are rather good at keeping out external noise, which is particularly good for gym workouts, especially if like me you can't stand the cheesy euro-trance and pop rubbish they tend to play for "motivation" at gyms. I've always preferred drowning out that garbage with some solid death metal, so whether on the treadmill or in the pool, these do the trick. I did find it rather disconcerting doing swimming laps to the dulcet tones of Slayer, but once I got used to the weirdness of listening to music in the pool, I found the whole experience to be very therapeutic, and ended up floating on my back, relaxing, and blasting my eardrums with the new Anaal Nathrakh record.

Mint.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could be a lot better, 30 July 2014
This new set I have seem to be the worst of the lot the volume on these are really really crap so see how long it will be before I throw these in the gym bin
I have been looking at similar products which look the same some are dearer and some a little cheaper but there isn't
Enough reviews on these items to say ok I will buy these instead so anyone out there who have purchased the other ones it would be nice to share with all on amazon who are looking for a really nice pair of sport mp3 playing head phones..I can only give these 2 stars because they are my 3rd set..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 April 2013
Bought these for my mum who loves swimming. She loves them. They stay in the ears and are very comfy and also very good sound quality. Makes her swimming sessions all the more fun.

Nice product!

1.0 out of 5 stars no use for audio books, 14 April 2014
Although sharing music with my Itunes library was easy enough, audio books are not compatible. I then wasted money on a download from Audible, again the file was incompatible. It should be made a bit more obvious on the Amazon page that not all files work with this player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof MP3 player, 21 Mar 2013
P. A. Ward "patsywoo" (U.K) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant piece of kit. So small and easy to wear and the sound quality is really good, even under water! No separate MP3 player to jiggle about in your pocket if you're jogging. Really lightweight. Brilliant to wear in the bath and not upset anyone else in the household with your taste in music, real escapism,,,,lets you switch off and no worries if it gets wet.
The 4GB storage is great, so you can put loads of music on it and never get bored. You just plug it into your laptop and drad and drop the tracks onto the drive on the walkman, couldn't be easier. What more could you want?
Would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars For swimming you must use ear buds that fit tight or you will have problems!, 30 Oct 2013
I bought these specifically for swimming and a was at first extremely disappointed because even using the largest ear buds provided they kept coming out of my ears when swimming. I saw a YouTube review of someone diving in and having no problems so went about trying to solve the ear bud problem. Everyone's ears are different and you need to find an ear bud that suits you, is comfortable and tight, and does not let in water. The ones Sony provide, for me, are useless, other people have had no problems.. The perfect ear buds for me are Xcessor Triple Flange Conical Replacement Silicone Earbuds, available from Amazon, they fit like a glove and are extremely comfortable With these ear buds fitted I would give the Sony Walkman Waterproof All-in-One Sports MP3 Player 5 stars.