5.0 out of 5 stars A new dimension for the Sims 3 franchise...
Published 21 months ago by Dan S

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Addition, Few minor annoyances.
Published 20 months ago by EmH

5.0 out of 5 stars A new dimension for the Sims 3 franchise..., 9 Mar 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Sims 3: University Life - Limited Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I own all of The Sims 3 physical releases (expansion packs and stuff packs), and from what I have seen of it so far, I would say this is potentially my favourite of them all. Like my previous favourite (World Adventures - glitches aside), this one takes the game in a new direction by creating a sub-neighbourhood, the University Campus, that your Sims can move into (whilst keeping their original home to return to later). For uni graduates like myself, this expansion is terrifically nostalgic, but it also gives you plenty of new gameplay options to explore and enjoy. As the game was only released this month, I will try and give potential buyers a rough idea of the good and the bad below, and will update this review as I learn and explore more:

The Good:
* there's so much to do that we haven't seen before in Sims 3. Attend lectures and seminars, hang out in the Student Union, throw house parties with your roomates, and study for finals exams.
* the game has moved with the times to push social networking forward. Sims can now use smart phones to text friends and take photos, as well as a whole host of other upgraded features like blogging and streaming videos.
* university students can belong to different social groups: nerds, jocks and rebels, and you can use your new social power to immerse yourself in your chosen group.
* there's new activities like street art (graffiti or murals), ping pong, frisbee, student protests and group bonfires, and you can have 3 new personality traits (Avant Garde, Irresistible and Socially Awkward).
* you can major in one of six different subjects of your choice, and you will get special items to help you reach your Sim's full potential at University (my Sim is currently majoring in Fine Arts, and carries a scrapbook around to do live drawing etc). The subject choices are: Business, Communication, Fine Arts, Physical Education, Science and Medicine, and Technology. Each is linked to specific graduate careers after university.
* once you graduate, there are career perks, salary increases, and new job options (Art Appraiser, Sports Agent and Video Game Developer).
* you get a good choice of living options: dormitories, sororities and fraternities and individual houses (if you can afford one), and there are great household dynamics to be explored (particularly from the new social groups).
* a bit like World Adventures, you can choose how long your sims(s) spend in the university sub-neighbourhood by choosing how many credits and terms they will study for. If your Sim has amassed a wealth of skills before enrolling, these can contribute towards your credits.
* the sub-neighbourhood and campus architecture look very impressive, and there are new venues like a bowling alley and every student's favourite, the night owl supermarket. You can also go inside *some* classrooms.
* you get the regular new stuff with an expansion pack - a great range of hair, clothes, objects etc. Most of it is quite tasteful and fits well with the University theme. You also get stuff like new lifetime goals, wishes etc. All the usual stuff you expect from an EP.
* there's lots of little features that are quite thoughtful to detail. Mascots, the accommodation / admin office, aptitude entry tests, weekly timetables, meet and greets with the professors etc. All little touches that bring back my uni days...
* you can slack off on exams and use cheats if you wish, or alternatively buy your Sim an honorary degree with the lifetime happiness awards.
* If you buy the Limited Edition, you get a statue which allows for exciting new festivities like toga or pajama parties and masquerade balls, with new outfits to set the mood!
* finally, there is a new life state - the PlantSim (returning from Sims 2). Quite what this has to do with university I do not know. They also look really freaky, and don't eat (preferring water instead). I would have included them with The Supernatural EP personally. Maybe the Supernatural: Plants vs. Zombies Limited Edition?

The Bad:
* you can't be with your sim in every lecture. Some classes are viewable, but others leave you staring at the building (and using fast forward) until the lecture is finished.
* my sim couldn't take his high school crush with him to uni. I may have missed the option, but it's a shame he can't have a romance at uni without being unfaithful. Only household members (young adults upwards) are able to apply for uni. Otherwise, it seems you have to make new friends when you get there.
* my sim is a bit obsessed with his time-keeping. He gets 2 hour breaks between lectures, yet he insists on arriving early for the next one. Until I figure out how to snap him out of it, I'm finding it very hard to meet his needs during the day (which starts at 8am I might add!!)
* you can't switch between the sub-neighbourhood and the home neighbourhood as and when you feel like it. This is frustrating, as I have a family of 5 Sims, but only one is at uni. I cannot play with the other 4 until he graduates. Again, this is similar to World Adventures, where you can only concentrate on those Sims who have chosen a vacation.
* the game is clearly based on the American major system. For British players, you may get a little lost with some of the lingo. I have two uni degrees, yet I've never come across a real-life jock, nor did I know what a sorority was either. A learning curve I guess, which is what uni is about afterall!!

I hope this review helped. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Full Marks For Sims University, 10 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Was interested to see how this would compare with the old Sims 2 University, and my verdict is that EA games has definitely made some improvements here. This expansion pack takes us beyond the "rabbit hole" which ate up much of the gameplay in the previous version, now we can actually follow our sims along to many of their classes, and use new objects (like the anatomy skeleton & the science research station)to improve their skills and grades. Your sim is also able to interact with objects like the whiteboard or the podium to give a presentation to other students.

I also liked the addition of new social groups nerds, jocks & rebels. You can gain position, rankings and influence in these groups by participating in various activities and using new objects. You can purchase a kit to gain skill at "street art", buy a megaphone to start up your own protest movements, and use the new smartphone to improve your social networking skills.

Adult and young adult sims can enroll for one or two terms at university via their phone or PC. They are then transported to the university town and can choose their residence (dorms, frat & sorority houses or private residences). A word of warning here, once you have made your choice you are stuck with it, there doesn't seem to be any "move" option. So if you are planning on building your own dorm, or just don't like your "roomies" - your sim won't be able to move, you'll just have to enroll again for another term when their course finishes. On a more positive note, if your sim has a career back home, they won't lose it while they're away at uni, in fact you may find that they gain promotion faster when they return (if their course was relevant to their career path).

In terms of value for money, this expansion pack adds quite a lot to the game. A university town, with a variety of new lots, new traits, new careers, new skills, new lifetime wishes, new ways to die, and even a new life state (the return of the Plant Sim). There's new party types added juice kegger, bonfire (also masquerade & toga in limited edition), 8 new hairstyles and 13 new outfits. There's 16 new interactive objects and 13 returning objects (including the welcome return of the bowling alley).

I got the Limited Edition on pre-release. For the first time ever I didn't get it from Amazon, simply because it was cheaper to order it from a supermarket, it was the same price as the standard edition and they actually had an earlier release date than Amazon. I note currently that the Limited Edition is about £12 more than the standard edition on Amazon. What extra do you get? A statue that allows you to throw toga & masquerade parties, and some toga/masquerade outfits. Is that worth an extra £12 ? Your decision, but personally I don't think it's worth an extra £12.

Apart from this, it's a big thumbs up for Sims 3 University Life, and would have been full marks but for the irritating lack of a "move" option in the university town. As always new players should remember that this is an expansion pack, and you'll need the base game if you want to play it. Also a good idea to make use of the "Can You Run It" website before you buy, to make sure you have the right spec to handle the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Addition, Few minor annoyances., 4 April 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the Limited Edition of the game before it was released. It was well anticipated as I had been waiting since the release of the base game for a University Pack. I loved the Sims 2 University and so had high expectations for the Sims 3 University Life. When the game arrived it loaded onto the system with no problems as I had had with Sims 3 Seasons but that's another story...

I created a girl to be sent off to university. I enrolled her for 2 terms as I wanted enough time as possible to experience the university world. This is when I encountered the first disappointment. I was expecting a choice of universities which there was not however this did not affect me really at all and the university created is really good fun and is beautiful. As I loaded into the university world I had to choose where to live. It annoyed me a little at being able to freely move into the sororities and fraternities as I liked in Sims 2 that they were exclusive and it made the lots more like single gender dorms than what they should be.

I did not encounter any other issues until I reached the second term of university. My game repeatedly crashed in this second week and I had to delete my saved game and create a new one. I sent my Sim one term at a time and had no problems. I sent two sims to university for two terms again and the game crashed. This is very irritating as I get nowhere with game play.

The limited content was probably not worth the extra money I spent. I thought that new party types would be unlocked when planning parties but they are not. Instead you have to select the costume for the Parteus Maximus statue to wear and sims automatically change into that attire when on the lot however this is not what I was expecting and can be annoying.

Other than these few issues I have only one annoyance. The social groups are cool and I like belonging to one and unlocking new interactions, jobs and items with them however I do not like how easily you can lose influence with those groups. You have to spend nearly all day every day to maintain your status in the groups which is quite irritating when I'm trying to other things.

Overall, I would recommend the game if you are unsure whether to buy it or leave it. I would say definitely buy it but don't bother with the limited edition and only send sims to university for a term at a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 13 May 2013
Its good!
It brings a whole new area for you to explore which is quite fun, although completing degree's with multiple Sims can become quite tedious.
You can be a nerd (like myself) and play online games, be a rebel and start protests or even a jock, participating in all the sports and socializing.
Once you have finished a degree you can upload a resume (CV) and start a job a level 4 (depending on what degree you have and what job you are going for).

3.0 out of 5 stars Sims, 11 May 2013
As a Sims addict I must admit I like this game, but not as much as others such as Supernatural or Seasons. Good idea though, no where near as good as Sims 2 University. Sims get stuck behind other 'students' when entering buildings which can make them miss lectures or study sessions so a bit annoying. The campus is pretty and well laid out with ample accommodation including mixed, male dormitories and female sororities. It is good, but I would not recommend it especially. The new smart phones are good and the blogging/skin add ons are very fancy, but the social groups are irritating for those who aren't at University and lose/gain unwanted influence. Aside from the negatives there are new clothing add-ons and some good furniture. Two noticeable glitches so far, however, is that you firstly can't invite friends from back home to your graduation ceremony, and secondly you don't get a certificate. Bad glitches, EA, bad glitches...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game so far..., 24 Mar 2013
This game is amazing and defiantly the most complex. In the Sims 3 University Life you go to university (Surprise, Surprise) but there is so much to do and so many more interactions that brings the Sims 3 more to life. For example instead of your dodgy 80s phone you get a smartphone on which sims can start a blog and show other sims videos or just search the web and gain skills. You can also join social groups such as Rebels, Nerds or even 'Jockeys'. The only bad thing is that even though you can go into the university with your sim for the lectures you still can't join them in classes :( But hey who cares when there is so much more to do. Did I mention that you can graffiti walls and be arrested if you're seen? Or that your sims can start protests? So that is why I LOVE the Sims 3 University Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 April 2014
Fantastic game play with brilliant features, similar to Sims 2 University Life but with some more modern aspects, such as different majors and shorter university time which is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun, 12 Mar 2014
Excellent delivery and game play fantastic. Anyone who is a fan of sims 2 university life will love this the bowling alley was a great surprise and a lot of fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary Sim-Life Stage, 25 Feb 2014
Tricia Malone "MiyuEmi" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
If you love your sims as much as I do, this will be a must have EP, giving you a life stage that allows you to enjoy more time with your creations. This is not my favourite EP, but it comes close!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite expansion, 17 Dec 2013
I got this as a present for my birthday and it remains my favourite of the Sims games. Having played through The Sims, The Sims 2 and all the Sims 3 games I consider myself quite versed in this universe and would wholeheartedly recommend this to any sims fan as well as anyone who is still on the fence (as long as they have the base version of course). It adds a great amount of depth and fun that had been lacking from the game for some time. Though it has the same basic idea as The Sims 2 University it is so much better in every respect. Great new clothes and furniture, and the addition of the social groups is a new challenge I'm really enjoying, with the secret jobs as a brilliant reward. Get it!!!

The Sims 3: University Life - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
The Sims 3: University Life - Limited Edition (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £25.00