Platform: PlayStation 3|Change
Price:£24.99+ £1.99 shipping

on 29 March 2013
Okay. You've heard it all before.

Graphics suck, level design is restrictive, gameplay is clunky, length is short.

However, I did have fun playing through the 6 hour campaign in survival instinct.

I think Terminal Reality succeeded in building a tense atmosphere, and the weapon design is good, you experience Daryl's signature crossbow first-hand and bring down zombies.

There were a lot of good elements in the game, the vehicle/inventory/survivor menus were interesting, but more often than not, the cost of sending out survivors to scavenge for you brought more consequence than rewards.
I sent a man out to gather food with 100HP, he returned with a Soda, and 38HP, where that soda would restore him to 62HP. Good deal.

Voice acting from Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker was top notch, even if Merle is only on screen for around ten minutes max?
Other characters were voiced well, even if the character models were lacking for 2013.

The ending was lacklustre and brings the review from 4 stars down to 3 stars. Not satisfying and doesn't make ends meet with the start of the First Walking Dead season in Atlanta.

Activation were obviously rushed to release the title before the finale of the television show, which is excellent.

Having played Telltale's version of the walking dead, and watched every episode of the television show on the edge of my seat, I conclude that this game is disappointing as the emotion and weighted moral choices that drive the franchise's success are missing here.

As a video game - bad
As a walking dead game - good

Recommend for big walking dead fans.

General video gamers, stay away and spend your money on Bioshock Infinite, The Last of us or GTA V.

Or go outside, get fresh air, craft some arrows...
on 23 March 2013
Really excited about this game arriving having followed the series, but it is is a very poor representation.

A big mistake, I really wish I had waited, and read the reviews and saved my money!

The dissappointing graphics, lumpy gameplay action and a general lack of atmosphere, make for a really poor experience.

Soon to be traded in!
on 4 July 2014
I'm on my 7th playthrough of this game.

finally a zombie game where you have melee weapons to bash their brains in, im getting bored of first person shooters where its just a range of projectile weapons. this game is not action , its survival, and has a very good feel to it.

i love the graphics to this game and not interested if they look like ps2, i love the lighting, and the atmospheric is creates as the sun goes down. The game is stealthy which is my favorite type of game, and offers resource management, where you must collect food, weapons, and fuel to survive, i love this feature...

there could have been alot more offered here, but like everyone said, its rushed out, which i just dont see the point... there was no need to rush, walking dead is still on tv, it's still relevant, so you could have took you time and made it even better...
on 23 March 2013
Do yourself a favour and download "The Walking Dead" (Telltale games) from the psn store for about a tenner if you like this type of game, great voice acting, excellent graphics, top notch story and characters that you actually do genuinely care about, honestly it is 100 times better than this crap, how activision have the cheek to charge 32 quid for such a shockingly bad game is just mind boggling, trust the other reviews also because games don't get much worse!
Like most of the people who bought this game, I too am a huge fan of The Walking Dead TV show, comics and the excellent game from Tell Tale, so despite all the negative reviews that this game has been getting, I thought I'd try it out for myself. Going in with low expectations I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

The first thing I noticed were the graphics, which were below average by today's standards but still not all that bad (it looks more like one of the HD collection games of classic PS2 titles that have been released on the PS3) but I'm not one to judge and not enjoy a game just because of visuals (I still regularly play PS1 and PSP games on my Vita with much love). The main levels are pretty decent and at times can actually be very scary (especially in pitch-black buildings where you can hear a walker but not know where they are until they've jumped you and your underwear becomes slightly heavier), however the breakdown and scavenge sections become very repetitive as they are basically the same level over and over again. The voice-acting from the Dixon brothers, Daryll and Merle is great, alongside the iconic theme from the show really makes this feel like a genuine spin-off. One thing I particularly admired was the stealth elements which hasn't been used enough in the zombie genre of games much and so it felt like I was really trying to survive this apocalypse and not attract the walkers. It was also nice to play a game that is purely zombies rather than having mutant end of level bosses, which would have felt very out of place here. The survivor management elements was a good idea (and very similar to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood) but didn't really work all that well, especially as the characters you send out are so character-less that I didn't care if they got eaten or not as there was no emotional attachment to them whatsoever (unlike Tell Tale's The Walking Dead game which has possibly the biggest emotional impact on me in gaming ever). Finally the story doesn't really go anywhere and gave me no extra insight into the start of the apocalypse like I hoped it would.

This game isn't perfect (far from it in fact) but is enjoyable and a good idea that I think would have been received better if it wasn't connected to The Walking Dead. I perhaps wouldn't recommend paying full retail price for it and wait for a few months as once the high expectations have died down a little and the price has dropped, I think people may actually like it.
on 23 March 2013
Don't insult the show or your console with this so called "game". PS2 graphics and a quick money spinner, I expected much better from the the COD guys.
on 20 January 2015
You totally get into the game for a bit, then eventually lose interest. I did play it through twice to get all survivors and unlimited ammo, but after the second time the game becomes tiresome and hard work. Quick play through, could probably be done in say 3 hours or even faster, if you simply run through, which can often be done.
on 21 April 2013
I'm a massive Walking Dead fan, so when this game was announced I immediately pre-ordered it in good faith (I don't usually pre-order games, I usually wait to read a few reviews first) But I thought as it was The Walking Dead and I'd already enjoyed the telltale game of The Walking Dead so much, that this was never going to disappoint me. I could not have been more wrong.

Last April, I completed Dead Island, A Game that I enjoyed every minute of.

This April I thought I was in for an even bigger treat with this, but as my title says, it only really does tarnish the legacy of The Walking Dead.

I don't usually feel the need to write reviews either, but in this case I figured I have to warn the others before it's too late! DO NOT part with any amount of money for this game.

I'm actually angry at this game, and I don't understand how it even made it to the shelves.

To the Game Developers: PLEASE Next time, do The Walking Dead justice and try to redeem yourself, instead of rushing this in order to cash in on the massive success of TWD franchise. Shame on you.
on 22 March 2013
Doesn't even deserve 1 star, incredibly bad , worth about £3.50, just wait for dead island riptide! do not buy...
on 6 May 2014
I've heard a lot of reviews about the item and how about of a zombie game it is and how buying it is nothing more than a waste of money but after playing it, I had to disagree. The game is a nice theoretical (if not actual) backstory to the Dixon brothers which was enjoyable. The game can be quick to complete if you rush through it but it focuses on some factors of surviving a zombie Apocalypse that you wouldn't think of yourself. The game itself was varied and enjoyable, the Dixon brothers were just as they are portrayed in the TV programme and the concept and features of the game itself are imaginative, well thought through and extensive without removing realism. If your focus in a game is original and genuine factors while also enjoying a continued theme (continued from the episodes) this is for you.

See one answered question