on 20 March 2015
You must have patience and read the instructions a few times to really understand how to use the product. The instructions are absolutely key and do explain well, how to use the product. I noticed that I had to use a few different containers to get the size right both for my baby's foot and to not use too much excess product. I did buy this knowing that I may mess it up to begin with and could potentially require buying further product, but if you are willing to do this, take your time to use trial and error then you should get a fairly acceptable result. My first attempt was much better than I had expected, even with the plaster running through the bottom of the mould (due to my poor casting attempt). It still had most fine details and I was so happy with it and felt quite proud. It does have an element of satisfaction. It's a lovely reward after patiently preparing everything so carefully first. You should accept that you need to take your time and carefully sand off lumps and bumps etc before painting.

Tips - do try to have someone to help you hold the baby! If you don't, try putting baby front facing (if appropriate) in a baby carrier so you can have a free hand to pour in alginate. I had to do this, it was tricky but couldn't have done it single handedly any other way. I still recommend someone to help over this.
I used a bath thermometer for the water temp. It does set quickly but if you rehearse what you are doing beforehand so that you don't need instructions then you will manage the setting time with the water at 30 degrees ( some people recommend it colder for longer setting time, I personally don't think it would be as comfortable for baby if colder).
Have all your containers planned and sorted first. I wouldn't use a plastic bag inside a container - it made things more awkward for me. The alginate is rubbery when set so just peel it off equipment as soon as you are finished.
on 26 June 2015
I bought 20 packets of this and did my whole body (don't try this at home). When I work away my wife cozies up to a lifelike, but completely silver, likeness of me. In fact the last couple of weeks she's asked if I can sleep on the sofa downstairs while she and "Gary" have snuggles. He's up there right now. Bastard.
on 3 February 2016
Love this. The attached photo is my first attempt and i'm so pleased with it considering. I did make some mistakes as everything must be done quick. Forgot i have to leave the plaster to set so the air bubbles come out before pouring it into the mould, hence all the small bubbles you see in the picture. Also my baby's foot slightly touched the bottom of the container resulting in the dents you see on the sole. But the details are amazing and i'm sure my second attempt will be perfect. Can't wait for it to dry so i can paint it.
Just a hint, as you need to use 30° water, i fixed the water on the tap at the required temp and left the tap on just in case i needed more. Like this the water doesn't cool while you prep everything and you don't have to reheat if you need more.
review image
on 26 February 2016
Great items! once you know how to do it, its such a great product. Definitely use an electronic mixer, keep the water slightly warm (too warm and it hardens quickly)
1: choose your container (i cut the bottom of a water bottle to use for the mould)
2: choose mixing container and fill with required water (warmish)
3: have items ready (container for mould, spatula/spoon to scoop mix into mould container, cup for measuring powder)
4: cream/ moisturize your baby's hand/foot
5: quickly mix ingredients
6: scoop mixture into container
7: slip hand/foot into mixture quickly and wait for set
8: fill with clay mixture and let set (no big deal if it sets overnight, i left it for 10+ hours and it was fine)
9: VERY IMPORTANT...when removing the pink gelatine-like-mould from the clay, take it slow!!! fingers and toes break off very easily.
10: enjoy and be amazed at how cute it is, and how you made such an awesome memory for yourself!

the wrinkles are awesome, such an exact likeness! such a great idea, cute memories! thanks
on 27 May 2014
Happy with the product. Does the job as described. Also fast delivery, will order again in the future. Good value for the price.
on 22 June 2015
I bought this to make a fathers day gift for my other half. I used cold water to mix the alginate instead of warm to give me more time to work with the mixture. It can be done with just one person on an older child but recomment two people for a new baby. Excellent product with lovely results. Will definitely use again.
review image
on 3 July 2013
I bought this item to make Father's Day gifts from my newborn. Although it was rather tricky taking the casts (little man kept wriggling his feet) the 3 moulds that I got were stunning. Every little line and crease in his feet show up perfectly. The silver paint adds a lovely finish (doesn't look tacky like I thought it might). My other half was made up with his gifts and they have pride of place on our mantle piece! I also have plenty of material left over to make more when he's a bit older. Would highly recommend. It is much cheaper than getting professional ones done, it was a quarter of the price of some that I've seen, and it is far more fun and personal to do them yourself.
on 26 February 2016
This product is absolutely fantastic if you've used it previously, get lucky or have a cooperative baby. We made three successful casts, but because of my baby girls hand positioning they're missing the tips of the fingers. We've had to order more alginate to make more mounds, so my advice is to order a larger pack if you're worried about getting it right as there is not much product here and watch the YouTube tutorials. You also need several plastic tubs to mix and cast in.
on 31 March 2016
It's not easy to do & did take quiet a few attempts but please with the final product. I had my first child's done professional & you can't tell the difference
on 15 May 2015
The mixture solidifies very quick even before I try to get my baby's hands r feet into them. Tried mixing couple of times n couldn't get the mould properly