5.0 out of 5 stars The best albums of the 1990's???, 25 Jun 2007
Matt Dalzell (Welland, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Deserters, Holy Bandits, and Shouting End of Life in my opinion are when the Oysterband was firing on all cylinders. From the opening anthem-like 'We'll be there' to the rollicking 'Don't slit your wrists for me' Shouting End of Life very rarely misses. Even their cover of Cockburn's 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time' sounds fresh. They've mellowed musically in the last few years but are no less brilliant. They still sing of the ills of globalization and failing political systems but can mix it up with great messages of hope, love, and patience. This album is a great introduction to the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gems (or should i say pearls), 26 Jan 2008
This is a fantastic album, emotionally wide ranging & full of inspiring socio-political comment. These guys really rock & yet have a sincerity that is second to none. In my view worth buying for the song 'By Northern Light' alone, but all the other tracks have loads to offer aswell as a bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 9 Sep 2011
P. W. Grayson "Pete" (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This was my first and is my favourite Oysterband album and I have to say it is excellent from track 1 to track 13. It goes from full on protest songs of "We'll be there" to the light hearted "Don't slit you wrists for me" and finishes on a really good rendition of "The World Turned Upside Down" which is probably my favourite version of it, even better than Billy Bragg's.

If you haven't anything by the Oysterband and want an introduction to them you couldn't get, in my opinion, a better one and if you have other Oysterband album(s) then get this one as well.

When we travel anywhere this CD is one that usually gets played especially on the way to a festival where they are playing like this year's Beautiful Days where they staged "The Big Session" in the bog top stage on the Saturday and they were stunningly good and played a couple of songs from this album. Anyway sorry for digressing a bit but a final word, if you don't own this album, buy it today!

5.0 out of 5 stars best folk rock type album ever, 25 Mar 2006
G. M. Crow "Gary Crow" (dumfries, dumfries shire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This outstanding album got me into kicking folk rock type stuff, refreshing the parts other music just can' t, lyrics on lifes rich tapestry, nestling on a bed of sound, that you gotta get up and dance to, it make you laff, it makes you proud, it educates, it cuts, it slices and dices and removes those embarassing staines from your collar !! the shouting end of life is my anthem, my north my south, my east my west, yes thats right its good,
get it !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 29 Oct 2013
Catchy, enjoyable songs that make you want to learn all the words. I've played this cd so many times now - it was a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth shouting about, 9 Feb 2009
Littlest Hobo (Floating Market, Anywhere!) - See all my reviews
A brilliant album from a brilliant band, this is definately one to stir the old grey cells and get the juices of rebellion flowing. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oyster band in Levellers Mood, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Shouting End of Life (Audio CD)
Great album this - buy it if you have not already got it. Much harder than than their other, all excellent, albums. Super songs with audible lyrics. Sometimes angry, sometimes humouress and sometimes arcane. Makes you want to jump around,get involved, sing out loud and play air fiddle. John Jones as ever in fine voice and the rest of the band are musically superb. If anyone out there has the live version let me know as I would love to add it to my Oysterband collection.

The Shouting End of Life