5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to track weight and looks great
Published 15 months ago by vortek

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and stylish - but accurate?
I've done very well in my weight loss so far - 3 stone lost since Christmas - and I put much of this down to my regularly tracking and recording my food intake, exercise and weight, allowing me to correct what I'm doing pretty much daily.

Published 4 months ago by Ian Stark

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to track weight and looks great, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
I bought this to help me track my weight in order to lose weight. Its been perfect - keep it in the bedroom and step on it twice a day. It helps me stay on track and understand my weight fluctuations over time. I have been using it for 6 months and have dropped from 14 stone to 12 stone - and stayed there - not on any particular diet - just eating sensibly and easing off when the weight starts to go up. Previous to this I really didn't track my weight and gradually put on weight - but knowledge is power! The set up of this over wireless took about 2 mins with a cable and a laptop - very easy. Linking to the ipad / iphone app means I can check up anytime. Also records body fat and BMI. Seriously thinking of buying the new one just out which looks the same but also records heart rate at the same time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and stylish - but accurate?, 24 Feb 2014
Ian Stark (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)

The convenience of the WS-30 scales can't be denied - I have used both analogue and digital scales over the last year and just the simple act of writing the weight down or recording it in MyFitnessPal often got forgotten in my rush to get out the door in the morning! No longer. Although I had some teething troubles in getting MyFitnessPal and Withings to talk to each other (both parties suggested the fault was with the other), it seems to have settled down. While readings might not be instantaneously updated they are usually there within an hour, allowing me to gaze with pride at my success (usually!)

Where I have a problem with these scales is with accuracy. I never really trusted the cheap analogue scales I had before, and the equally cheap digital ones seemed to fluctuate so wildly day to day that I had little faith there either. My hopes for spot-on readings with scales costing 90 were, therefore, high.

The scales are positioned on a tiled bathroom floor and the feet are all contained within one tile (i.e. no imbalance on the edges of tiles). I weigh myself first thing in the morning after I've been to the toilet and before I've had a drink or breakfast. That's the same routine every day and has been for the past 50+ days.

One morning a couple of weeks ago I found that my weight had increased by about two pounds one morning, but then had decreased by about four the following day. Now, I'm not totally naive, I know that weight can fluctuate like this day to day, but I was curious as to how such a big difference could occur in such a short space of time.

For the last couple of weeks I have weighed myself as normal every day, and then I have stepped off and on the scales four or five more times, all within the space of about a minute, and noted the readings. To my disappointment, on successive weighings the measurements have varied by as much as four pounds! That was an extreme example, I should admit, but the variance has typically been between one and two pounds (always higher than the first reading, sadly!) with subsequent readings taken within seconds of the previous.

Had I been weighing myself six hours later and seeing a difference like this I wouldn't have been surprised - I am well aware of how the body can dramatically change weight during the course of the day - but this is simply not right. I can determine absolutely no changes in conditions between these weighings - the scales are in the same place, I stand in the same place, I haven't eaten or drunk anything in that time, nor have I put on a heavy felt hat. Why, then, such a fluctuation?

In the scheme of things, I am happy to report that week to week I am shedding weight, so overall I am not really concerned, but it does cast doubt in my mind as to how accurate these scales actually are.

As a secondary note, the iOS apps provided by Withings are for the most part rubbish. Withings Health Mate is a slight improvement on previous versions but leans so heavily towards their higher end scales that a good proportion of the app is unusable by people with the 'lesser' WS-30.

On a positive note, the scales arrived reasonably quickly and they are very stylish.

Would I recommend them? Probably, but not if you are weighing yourself in advance of a boxing championship where absolute accuracy is crucial. Would I buy them again? Probably, but only because I know that it's what I eat and burn off that is going to help me lose weight, not how accurate the scales are, and because in the longer term (i.e week to week) it's all going in the right direction. 90 for the convenience of having a questionable weight recording transferred wirelessly to your monitoring apps? Not so sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
Well this is a great gadget and I'm a sucker for gadgets 😂 it weighs me too which is a plus haha.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply love it, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
Not too complicate to setup and keep track of all my weight change, this is a real motivator for me.
The accuracy seems quite good, 100 g when I remove my watch...

I just keep losing weight since I have it, love to be able to see the Tracking chart syncing automatically
Sync with runkeeper and plenty other apps. Also give BMI and memorize user profile...

4.0 out of 5 stars nice scales, 11 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (Dublin, D24 Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
been using this for the last few weeks. like the fact that it talks to multiple online systems (FitBit, Run Keeper, Loose It) and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
I really love this scale! It's so simple to handle and it took no tima at all to download the app to my iPhone.

I can really recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scale, poor iPhone App and website, 4 Mar 2014
Cat Mad (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
I first bought this scale's big brother the Smart Body Analyser but had to return it because the sensor in the middle of the scale was loose. Other people have also complained about the inaccuracy of the weight measurement.

Then I decided to buy this scale the WS-30. This only measures weight and BMI (and not Fat or Co2). This scale is 50 cheaper than the Body Analyser and I think it is does what it needs to. As for accuracy - my scale is in the bedroom on a carpet. It does suffer from some erratic measurements. Now I have placed a piece of plywood under the scale to give it a smooth firm surface. And now the weighing is within 0.1 Kg which is perfect. So if your scale has the same problem try it with something firm under it.

The iPhone App is a bit rubbish - it is temperamental and not intuitive. For instance, if someone new stands on the scale the app sometimes does not allow me to delete the unassigned weight. You will need to just be patient with it.

Bottom line: I would recommend the scale.

Oh yes, the Withings Dashboard on their website is pretty average. It will give you a graph of your weight in their new minimalist dashboard but if you switch to the old dashboard it simply hangs with the message "Generating curves..."!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
My son bought me these for Christmas, and they are wonderful. The next best thing to being weighed at Weightwatchers. Just stand on them and your weight is sent by Wi Fi to your computer or IPad, so easy and accurate. Would recommend to anyone serious about losing weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
These scales were relatively easy to set up via an ipad and my router. It was also easy to later connect my iMac and other IOS devices to the online account which stores your data. They also seem to be very accurate. I have only given 4 stars because I think they are maybe a bit over-priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scales, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black (Personal Care)
I bought these from the Apple store (wish I'd have got them from Amazon now). I lost 2 stone within 3 months of getting them. Each time you step on the scale it sends a push notification to your iPhone and when you open the app it gives you a chart of your weight loss. Excellent scales and very informative. If you're trying to lose weight these are a great aid.

Withings WS-30 Wireless Scale Black