on 31 July 2013
After much deliberating and consideration of other options I decided to buy this PC as my main computer.

I consume a lot of media - Youtube, iplayer, 4od and lots of downloaded content. I also do some light multitasking (like writing reviews on Amazon with media playing in the background!). For these purposes this PC meets and exceeds my requirements.

For people wondering if this PC is suitable for them, here are the reasons I personally decided to get it:

1) I wanted a PC to hook up to my TV so I can browse the net and do what I usually do, but in the living room.

2) I was considering getting an Android mini PC, however these did not seem particularly reliable and as an android user already I know that there would be compatibility issues with websites, that certain videos would not play and it would be much slower than this PC.

3) I was considering hooking up one of my existing PCs to the TV, but none of them have HDMI output (only VGA). After reading around it seemed pretty clear that VGA output would not be as good as HDMI output in terms of picture quality. Also VGA doesn't transmit sound so I wouldn't really be able to use my home cinema sound system effectively.

4) Changing the graphics card so that I could output through HDMI in one of my existing computers would cost quite a lot of money anyway.

5) I was considering building a HTPC from scratch, but it was too much hassle for me and as an off the shelf alternative I believe this PC is the best option out there.

All in all, I can't fault this machine. It does exactly what I want it to and the HDMI output looks stunning on my 51 inch TV.

PS. my version did not come with the blu ray player - but I'd rather have a separate blu ray player going straight into my TV anyway.
on 25 February 2013
I received this from Amazon 10 days ago and it makes a perfect low cost Home Media PC. The lowest spec Q190 running XBMC Frodo Media Server software on Windows 8 plays anything I throw at it, including 1080P 3D films (tested on my 47 inch Active LG 3D TV with 3D glasses) and outputs Bitstream for HD audio (my Yamaha Amp reports DTS-MA or Dolby True-HD etc).

At £249 ($348 in Amazon US) fully loaded for what Lenovo call the world's smallest PC, I see this as currently the best value full HTPC. (With it paperback book size and 500mb drive, it's also perfect to fill with kids Movies to take on holiday etc).

Only downside is slightly louder than expected fan noise that appears to run at full speed all the time, even though XBMC never raises CPU utilisation above 10% (though can only really hear it during the quietest dialogue parts of a film). I can't find a BIOS setting or get any Fan control software to reduce the fan speed.

I'm Considering rebuilding it with OpenELEC 3.0 (when it is finally released) so as to reduce boot up time. (As Q190 has Intel 2000 graphics it will support HD audio unlike HTPC's running AMD cpu's with on board graphics).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Highly recommended - I love it

(Now the emotional part is over, let's give you some rationale...)

Connecting this to the televsion provides a fully enable Internet TV. The device is so easy to set up (including all the usual things I do with a new machine, this only took two hours and I normally take at least 4-6 hours). You could, however, use it straight out of the box, but I would advise against this.

For example, McAfee is pre-loaded. You just don't need it as Windows Defender is included free of charge. (BTW - by trade I am a full security consutlant and our team at work, one of the largest in the world, has confirmed that Windows Defender is jsut plain good). Also, there is a time limited version of Office. You may be able to de-install and buy a cheaper version depending on who you work for...

Performance is great and it handles HD video without any problem

I have, however, not relied upon the wireless connection as, based on past experience, there is just too much electrical noise near the TV and a wired connection is so much better.

I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse to use from the sofa rather than using the wired ones provided.

So overall, highly recommended.
on 7 July 2013
Okay so, after weeks of deciding and deliberating, i always kept coming back to this Small Form Factor PC (SFFPC)

Has 4 USB 2.0 on the back, perfect to put the wireless keyboard and mouse receivers.
2x USB 3.0 on the front inside the panel, perfect for data transferring from my old Laptop.

HDMI connects seamlessly to my 42" LG HDTV.
I Use it only for iTunes, VLC and Chrome, that's all i have installed, all i need installed. Perfect for music (even better if you have a sound system with your TV)
Films play fine. MP4 WMV MKV (pretty much the only files i use) ranging from low quality but still stretch out well right up to the 1080p looking good.
Never had a problem with the speed Although im hardly using it for anything intensive.

People have commented on the noise.. im about 7 foot away from the unit and its a small whirr..
I imagine if you lived on a main road, after a while you get used to the cars going past and soon block the noise out.. same as..

My only slight concern is the strength of the WIFI signal, im diagonally opposite in the house where the router is, which doest help, although my Laptop and phone both receive 5 bars, this can struggle between 2/3 bars (effectively no connection) to between 3/4 which is pretty good.. If i could stay or get to a constant 5 i would probably have less buffering on Youtube etc..

Windows 8, first time ive ever used it and i love it, even after the bad reviews and publicity.. Bit like having a smartphone home screen then you have to press a button to go into whats effectively windows 7. But having a Twitter app and the desktop running split screen is awesome.

Very quick and easy set up both in terms of hardware and software.
Ive tried to review the points in which i was buying it for (the simple side of computing/internet/media)
Definitely a good machine. ( i bought the Lower spec Celeron NOT i3 model.)
on 2 May 2013
These have been around for awhile with very low power processors too slow for me to have considered. This new one caught my eye when looking for a compact PC as Lenovo have upgraded to the latest intel processors. It now has the power to do all that you need from a PC (apart from the high-end games of course). Great connectivity. Use the HDMI to connect to your flat screen TV and you have a quiet media centre pc that beats any 'smart tv' solution. Highly recommended
on 7 May 2013
I bought this to use as a media computer. It really is tiny and runs well so far, but I was not expecting the fan noise to be as loud as it is. While this might not be a huge issue for most, it is definitely something to consider if, like me, you want to use this mainly for watching films and television on the internet. It could prove annoying in quieter and more atmospheric films, depending on the size of the room & viewing volume. I have ended up covering mine to reduce the noise when watching something late at night.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 May 2013
I just got this to watch youtube on a 32" hdmi TV. + maybe do a bit of internet shopping. It is so fast, small and handy that I am considering buying a second one for my TV upstairs. There are many SFF PCs on the market - but this one seems to be the best value & the coolest. Its about the size of an external dvd drive - quite amazing really.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am impressed by the positive reviews on this Lenovo mini computer but would like to know if it plays dvds and/or makes dvds? no one has mentioned it in the reviews so far and that is what is holding me back from ordering. also, does it need separate speakers? would welcome feedback - thanks
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 May 2013
Brilliant little piece of kit and delivered very promptly.
I have got this mounted on the rear of my original Acer 19inch monitor paired up with a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. All worked straight out of the box.
Really impressed - love it!
on 28 June 2013
If you want a small computer, then this is ideal. It fits to the back of the TV with its own mounting plate, It is used to access the internet only. If you are going to be using it for operating word and excel etc then I would go for the Core i3 version