Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 1 June 2013
(PLEASE READ TO THE END TO SEE MY UPDATED COMMENTS) Well I don't often write product reviews but felt duty bound as I used the reviews to make my choice. Some background: I have used IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads for many years for business and Home use starting with T40, T42, T42P Thinkpads and more recently running a T60 and T61P which were also great machines. For a variety of reasons mostly software issues and requirements as I build and run websites for charities and needed some serious processing power for a couple of the applications I decided I needed a core I7 Lenovo with stacks of memory. I wanted to stay with Lenovo as I like their online driver download page and I generally find getting parts online from various sources is good. (Unfortunately love Lenovo products but don't try and talk to a real person in Lenovo UK as it is impossible however, well connected you think you are!!!)

I would have purchased earlier but I really wanted a machine with WIndows 7 not Windows 8 as through various industry sources they all were highly critical of Windows 8 and lack of interest in feedback from Microsoft and I needed Windows 8 like a hole in the head. However, after reading all the comments and hearing that by using 'Start8' a £3.41 utility one can turn the Windows 8 interface into a Windows look alike - highly recommended and a must for me.

As I mentioned I bought two of these Core i7 for me and Core i5 for my wife as she did not need such a demanding machine.

Pros:
I7 processor fast
Keyboard very good
Mousepad - sorry Lenovo but old style were better although getting used to it but can lead to mistakes.
Battery life good
Weight pretty good for this size
Overall feel very good

Cons:
Well obviously Windows 8 but all laptops are shipped with this so took this out of my decision.
Not as robust as T Series Thinkpads but then the price is considerably less.
Would like to see the Capital Lock indicator on the front of the machine rather than on the front.
My Core I7 Z580 had major issues downloading Windows Updates (my wife's Z580 did not) I remembered reading that one must disable/stop the Nalperion Licensing Services process and that sorted the problem. Actually just upgrade the Nalperion Licencing Service when you first get this laptop to avoid the problem.

Amazon as ever were quick with both deliveries and also thanks to all the other reviewers who helped me with this decision. Also have gone with Microsoft Office 365 and the yearly licencing option for 5 devices which for me was a good option. BTW I understand that Microsoft are finally listening to complaints about Windows 8 from large Corporate customers who are not interested in touch screens for laptops/desktops and also wanted the Start button back. Codenamed 'Blue' and due as an update later in the year.

UPDATE 11TH NOVEMBER 2013. Well I really wanted to love this laptop particularly as I bought two but the longer I have had it the worse it has got. I have delayed sending it back as I had all my applications and programs on it but the wifi reception is the worse I have know and the performance is terrible for an I7 Intel chip. I think Lenovo has not balanced the processor performance with the architecture of the rest of the machine. It freezes about twice a week and does a chkdsk (Microsoft check disk) on start up every 3 or 4 times of start up. This laptop might be ok for the casual user bit for anyone who needs to work their machine steer clear.
on 2 August 2013
I needed a new faster laptop as my older one was giving up the ghost and at first I was looking at i5 samsungs due to which but I stumbled upon this in the customers also viewed/bought (I'm not sure which one!) and I instantly liked the design and after seeing it's reviews on which and the specs I decided to go for the i7 1TB no Nvidia Graphics as I don't game on hardcore games just on the Internet if I'm bored and I was right! The laptop exceeds all my needs and even my expectations! And it is so fast with 8 GB RAM it is a huge leap from a Vista laptop with only 3GB RAM! And I don't know what people have against Windows 8 it is just a different start screen which I think is easier because all my apps are there instantly and you still have the desktop that we all know and love! I just can't wait for windows 8.1 update so I can personalise my start screen and my desktop to suit me! So I think that if you get the i7 1TB 8 GB RAM you will not be diss appointed for £500 but just think b4 u buy and check if u need to spend £100 pounds more for Nvidia!
on 29 August 2013
delivery was quick.

It is a fast machine. It was easy to set up. The laptop itself is fine. It has replaced my previous Dell desktop which ran XP.

Having windows 8, it has caused problems as I have had to learn how to use it.which has been a pain. Means having to adapt to different email and word/excel versions which is an unnecessary hassle.
on 24 February 2015
Probably it's a bad choice I ever made. System is getting struck in the middle of the work and I don't have warranty too. Before one year completion of this laptop I bought new Lenovo W540. That's also same issue. I would never command this product any more to anybody. I think Dell would be good.

1. Wifi issue if you sitting apart form router but other laptop and mobile phones access Internet fine.
2. Major one, Laptop is getting stuck in the middle of the work.- very annoying when you are doing something serious work on it.

I am honestly giving this feedback as I am being used/worked on many laptops of different manufacturer.
on 18 June 2013
I bought this Lenovo as the brand appears to deliver top functionality and specifications at a decent price. It was a mistake.

Overall the laptop looks good and seems to work well... unless you want to work over wireless and WIFI. The wireless connection continually drops, and at best only runs at about 60% when it does work. Downloading large files was an absolute nightmare and browsing turned into a painful experience which reminded me of how I used to first use the Internet with a dial up modem in the late 1990s.

Having now Google'd the issue, it appears this model, when coupled with Windows 8, is commonly known to have bad wireless connectivity. I spent 3 days trying to fix the issues myself using the Lenovo support forums and online advice but was continually frustrated so in the end had to give up before I lost my mind.

I am sure this issue would affect the majority of users, as laptops by their nature are designed to be portable and need to work with wireless. If this laptop can't do that, then it's virtually rendered useless.

Don't go near it unless you are going to be connected to the web via cable.

Utter waste of my time and money so have sent it back to Amazon for a refund and will be looking to purchase a different brand and model.
on 8 November 2013
The laptop is great, but when the battery died soon after I was disappointed. Replacing the battery here in Kenya has become drama, though its still under warranty.
on 27 May 2014
The laptop arrived with Windows 8 installed, and all seemed well at first. Then I installed MS Office and MS Project and had to restart, which I did. However, the machine refused to leave the ROM BIOS and start up Windows. I tried several times to no avail.

With no sound audible from the machine, I have assumed that the hard disk has crashed, and have returned the machine to the seller.

I should have listened to my wife who advised against the purchase of a Lenovo laptop.
on 21 August 2013
Not overimpressed, not as fast as I thought it may be, cursor moves after positioning it left and right buttons intermitant
on 9 June 2013
problems with delivery, problems with the cashback offer. still trying to solve them. the laptop itself is ok, expect the mouse pad after a month seems to wander off on the screen sometimes and the mouse pad turns glossy after a while, massively affecting its sensitivity, with cashback the laptop would cost me about 500 pound I think, so worth it, without that I don't think id of gone for it
on 19 August 2014
I have used this laptop often since it was purchased 5 months ago. It has taken me that long to get my brain around Widows 8! The computer is obviously made to last and does everything I expect of it. An excellent buy at the price and I have no adverse comments to make