5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Published on 7 Dec 2002 by H. Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars So so
Its an ok book, i read it from start to finish, but i doubt i would buy from this author again.
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. D. A. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 7 Dec 2002
H. Ford "HR" (Amsterdam, NH Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Child (Hardcover)
Once again Torey Hayden has written an inspiring book that offers hope and encouragement to all who work with children in special education and to those children themselves. She teaches us that children with special needs, particularly those who have been neglected and/or abused, must be allowed time to trust again.As always she deals sensitively, but not sentimentally, with the gradual process of recovery of an abused child.The subject of this book is a little girl, an elective mute, whose experience of life is so abhorrent that recovery of any kind initially seems an impossible goal. However the author's care for her pupil, her determination to succeed, her natural teaching ability and her gut level instinct for the right way to proceed all mean that this goal is, finally, reached. This book, along with others by the same author, should be made compulsory reading for all student teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Torey Hayden makes you want to be a better person, 26 Nov 2003
M. Graydon "Rima" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Torey Hayden has to be the best writer of non fiction I have ever read.The way she writes,you feel like you know her and all her children.You feel like you have been in her classrooms and know her little ways.She shows her weaknesses and her strengths.For people who have children or work with children,read this book and any tantrum your child has ever had will pale into comparison to what Torey deals with every day in her classroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in a long time, 18 Feb 2004
BS DAVIES "izzard7" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I thought this book would be a bit depressing, and hard to read, but the way it was written was nothing short of amazing, I read the book in one evening I literally couldn't put it down, some parts I had tears in my eyes for the unbelievable suffering little Venus suffered, to think that if it hadn't been for Torey Hayden, no-one would have even known this little girl could speak never mind anything else. But it wasn't all doom and gloom some parts of the book had me laughing, the way Ms Hayden wrote about the children she looked after could be very funny indeed. She didn't make her self look like a saint, she pointed out her faults (which were pretty human) and she seemed to write the book with so much feeling, it was a privilage to read, and I would strongly recommend this book to anyone, (I've already started reading "Ghost girl" by Tory Hayden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, as always!, 28 Aug 2007
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
I have only read 2 of Torey Hayden's books - this one and Ghost Girl. I have to say that I felt that this book was better than Ghost Girl. The story was longer and I felt that you became more involved with the characters. As always, there were some fantastic scenes that made me laugh out loud and some scenes that made me feel a bit sick. The style of writing is gripping and I finished the book in 2 days. I'm off to get another one of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, rivoting reading, 27 Jan 2007
I am not a natural reader and yet could not put this book down. I have since purchased her entire set of books, all on the subject of her experiences of having worked as a special needs teacher/psychologist. She is an amazing writer and as a mother of a special needs child, the world most certainly needs more writer and more people like Torey Hayden. I have recommended this and her other books to many. You will not be disappointed. Of all her books I found "Twilight Children" to be the most difficult, mainly because it goes into far more disturbed behaviour.

Excellent author. Fully recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly gifted author, 5 Aug 2007
I was given this book as a gift and was a wee bit apprehensive about reading it. Needless to say it was one of the best books I've ever read. Other books I have read on similar issues have been stomach-churning and difficult to read, but Torey made this book a very beautiful, moving read. I truly felt that all the children's personalities, from their laughter to their tears really shone through, especially Venus. I found myself personally willing her on. I'll definitely be purchasing the rest of the set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Ol' Torey, 4 Jan 2007
I received this book for the Christmas this year and I devoured it in 2 days.

The first book I ever had of Torey's was One Child, and since then I have manged to get my hands on The Tiger's Child (the sequel), Just Another Kid, Ghost Girl and Twilight Children.

Before this book I read Twilight Children. It was a moving story but not her best and I had read Ghost Girl Previously which was very beautiful but also slightly disturbing.

I was looking forward to Beautiful Child and it didn't disappoint. When I read One Child, it stirred very powerful emotions in me and this did the same. It's not until the middle of the book or so that something happens with Venus but it wasn't boring. The other children in her class were delightful and I especially liked Billy. Although it is mainly focused on Venus, she does talk about the kids in her class and her aide Julie.

The book was very moving and I really would recommend to any other Torey fan or anyone who wants to start this 'genre' or one of her books. It is good for a first novel, as is One Child - however I wouldn't recommend Ghost Girl as a first novel for some people as they may be disturbed, I know my neighbour was (but do read Ghost Girl).

This was another fantastic book and is up there with my favourite One Child. It really is moving and a very good book with some humourous moments in it too, that I strongly recommend. Read it - seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion this is her best, 1 Jun 2007
I am an avid fan of Torey Hayden and honestly didn't think her writing could get any better until I read this.

For some reason the story just struck me. This tale is so enchanting that it moved me to tears in places, something that is a very rare occurence for a book. It is beautifully written and engages you in a heart-warming roller coaster of a plot. This book certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat and is definitely a real page turner. The care and dedication that the author went through in helping this child is only too apparent. Although it does contain difficult issues it is not shocking in any way but is instead very sensitive about it all.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone, whether they are already a Torey Hayden fan or not. This is a very typical book for her but has an edge to it that I felt made it even better. It is warm, funny, heart-wrenching and ultimately leaves you with a sense of satisfaction that Torey Hayden has once again worked her magic and saved another child. An absolute must read- I can't say more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tory, please don't stop writing!, 10 Mar 2007
Anna Crow (London, England) - See all my reviews
I've read all of Tory Hayden's books (and quite a few others to compare it with) and although all her books are fantastic, this one is possibly her best. I stopped myself from reading it in 2 days because i wanted it to last longer! I love how she's honest and not scared to say what she thinks, definatly makes for an interesting read, and her way of describing things puts you right next to her, laughing and crying. Im devistated that this was my last one! I'd recommend these books to all, but especially those who work with children, she makes you feel normal and gives you some good ideas along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars And the Walls Came Tumbling Down, 15 April 2005
By A Customer
When author Torey Hayden first meets Venus, then 7, the child is perched atop a high wall on the school playground. Venus rarely speaks and goes into attack mode when jostled by other children on the playground. Venus remains a silent observer in the class she shares with 9-year-old Billy, a gifted child with a minor case of dyslexia and a propensity for impulsive behavior; 8-year-old Jesse, a boy who has Tourette's Syndrome; 6-year-old twins Shane and Zane who have the congenital condition of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and part-time resource pupils 8-year-old Gwennie, a bright girl whose behavior and verbalizations are described as autistic and 8-year-old Alice, also given to frequent non sequitors interspersed with very poignant comments.
This group finally unites after a series of setbacks. Early in the year, fighting broke out contantly among the boys; Venus, too displayed a fair share of aggression whenever she attacked someone who bumped into her. The tension among the pupils was paralleled in Torey Hayden's differing educational approaches with her aide, Julie.
Matters reach a critical head when Venus is placed on homebound instruction for 2 months after she severely injures another child. During her absence, the boys team up by forming the poignantly ironic named group, "the Chipmunks" as a way of helping one another and gaining positive reinforcement. When Venus returns, she literally has to start from scratch. A chance encounter with a 1980s comic figure, She-Ra, sparks her curiosity; from there, Venus and teacher Torey Hayden knock down yet another wall. Venus expresses her wishes for a better life and for power and a "magic sword" like She-Ra has; she begins to inch her way into the group.
More walls are knocked down; Julie is transferred to another school and an aide named Rosa takes her place. Rosa and Venus bond instantly; the love between them is truly heartwarming. The boys make remarkable strides as well. In one especially touching exchange, Billy tells Jesse how he has overcome his bigotry towards other races because he personally knows Jesse, who is a member of a different race than Billy. Major issues are explored; each child has good insights and heartwarming observations. During such round table discussions, even more walls come tumbling down.
As Venus develops more confidence in herself and relies less on She-Ra and her magic sword, she develops friendships in the class. Alice literally takes Venus under her wing and insists on "being best friends" with her. A good placement in a loving, nuturing home after having endured years of abuse and neglect also accelerates the progress Venus makes. I like the way the book provides updates on the progress of each pupil.
I can't recommend this one highly enough.

Beautiful Child