5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera
Im not a camera buff and have only used a few digital cameras,but i found the Olympus sh-50 very simple to use.
I tried it in many different places and it took really great pictures without ever changing the settings from auto.
Published 11 months ago by Runeweaver

3.0 out of 5 stars SuperZoom; but laggy software and noisy images
Published 11 months ago by Chris Hoare

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 7 Aug 2013
Runeweaver - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My mum's camera always had problems taking pictures of her dolls houses,half the picture would end up blurred,but the Olympus had no problems at all,the pictures were sharp and clear.

The camera is a little heavier than the few others ive used,but not enough to make it seem overly heavy, Its very solidly built,the zoom is very quick and easy to use like most of the other functions on the camera.

If your looking for an idiot proof camera this is a very good choice,As i said at the start im not a camera buff or even use one regular but i was able to take some great pictures indoors and out with only a press of a button and sometimes a slight movement of the zoom switch.

3.0 out of 5 stars SuperZoom; but laggy software and noisy images, 6 Aug 2013
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had high hopes waiting for the SH-50 to arrive; I am a big fan of the Canon PowerShot SX280 which is a similar superzoom format camera. The reasons for my high hopes are that the lens is fractionally quicker and the zoom is 20% longer. On receiving the Olympus is quite noticeably larger and marginally heavier than the Canon; it still fits in a pocket but its definitely bigger; and the longer lends causes a bigger lens bulge on the front.

My heart lifted on seeing it charged via a USB cable - more and more hotels and planes have USB sockets for charging devices (as well as my laptop having one) so it would be one less thing to carry around as I travel. Sadly the USB cable uses a proprietary connector on the camera end; the socket end is a standard USB socket. I left it to charge overnight and plugged in my Eye-Fi 8Gb SD WiFi Card; and all my high hopes took a serious dent when I powered the camera on; and found I had to wait about 5 seconds to take a photo (by way of comparison the Canon does it just under 3 seconds.) That delay makes it harder to capture the unexpected.

Once you have the camera powered on the screen is bright; and pretty clear even outdoors. In bright light the fully automatic mode takes fairly bright and noise free images; as the light reduces the amount of noise in photos increases far too quickly for my liking. There are two kinds of scene modes; labeled SCN and Magic on the nice function dial on the top of the camera. After automatic comes Program mode which allows you to configure some of the camera settings; including a very impressive high speed shooting mode at 11 frames per second.

The SCN options include HDR which tends toward the high saturation end of the HDR spectrum which lots of colour ; but doesn't seem to gain much detail out of the shadows compared to fully automatic mode. Other scene modes include options for softer images; or taking pictures of dogs and cats. The magic mode options do image processing and apply effects to your images such as sparkling on lights; and when you select magic mode the whole camera lags including the preview on the screen. Taking the picture results in a noticeable lag in writing a magic photo to the card.

The remaining features of note for the still mages are a sweep panorama mode similar to the feature Sony have had for some time; I haven't had a great deal of success with it so far; it doesnt allow you to zoom in; to take the maximum width of image. Even when using a panning head on my tripod to make it as smooth as possible there were visible missed joins in the image. The last is a handheld twilight mode that lets you take images in lower light conditions with a fair degree of success; though like the magic mode it takes some time to write the image to disk between shots.

The zoom itself is very good; Olympus have designed an excellent image stabilisation system; and even at full zoom (24x) you could get a stable image hand held in good light; after dark you would need a tripod.

Movie mode takes impressive full HD video and the image stabilisation makes things look even better. There are a couple of slow motion modes; but compared to other bodies it can't deliver super slow motion - the canon manages 240fps at full hd the Olympus only 124 - i dont know if this really matters to many people - if you want to take slow motion pictures of your kids dancing or doing sport maybe. The microphones are good; but the SH50 has automatic gain control so in quiet places you get to hear a lot of background noise if you are in a quiet place. One great thing is you can take still images whilst shooting video without it impacting the stream.

The SH50 doesn't have a built in GPS or WIFI rather you can use a Wireless Sd card to connect to an olympus app on your smart phone; I put my EyeFi card into the camera to test this through. I wasn't able to use this to connect to the olympus camera; though Olympus Support in the UK are looking at what the issue might be (I have also asked them about the lagging in the magic mode.) Hopefully both of these issues can be resolved with a software update. The EyeFi software itself connected without issue and downloaded all the images from the camera so the wireless was working. The app is supposed to let you tag where you took your photos using your Phones GPS which is a nice way to save putting a GPS into the camera body; and use someone else's battery life; i am keen to see them resolve this issue.

Battery life is hard to gauge; I have taken about 150 photos and 20 minutes of video but whilst I was testing it I charged it up twice; i haven't managed a full drain on the camera so far. Unless you take pictures of everything it should last a day of normal use; and finding a USB socket to charge shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Overall the SH50 is a fairly good camera; I don't think I would reach for the SH50 in preference to my SX280 - the zoom and stabilisation functions might not be as good as the Olympus. It is also a noticeably more responsive; its not all going canons way though. The olympus video has considerably better image stabilisation; and the ability to take full resolution images whilst shooting video is a significant bonus. In automatic mode in daylight the olympus takes good pictures and the resolution is higher than the Canon but as soon as the light dim's the Canon takes far better images with considerably less noise and more detail. Its hard to recommend the Olympus over the Canon; its a nice camera but the SX280 for me has the edge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good high-end compact superzoom...., 19 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
.....with some unique abilities. You will be able to find many professional reviews of this camera, my review will focus on what matters to me, rather than a technical analysis.

Build quality / feel: the part-metal finish looks and feels nice, and is very solid with no play to any of the moving parts. It is balanced towards the lens, as you would expect in a superzoom. There is no thumbgrip on the back, but a textured grip on the front. I find it easy to hold, but always use a wriststrap just in case. Overall impression is better than a standard compact. 4/5

Interface: Being new to Olympus cameras this took a while to get used to. The touchscreen/button control hybrid system takes a while to figure out, and I had to resort to the manual (very rare for me). It's not exactly intuitive, which is usually the advantage of a touch interface. I would have preferred everything to be screen-based, or button based, this inbetween system is just confusing me at the moment. The touch-focus-shoot system is worth the hassle though, as it's the best way ever invented of taking candid fast snaps. 3/5

Photo quality: I don't use special filters or modes when taking photos with a compact, I just stick it on AUTO or landscape and let the camera (and photoshop) do it's job. Overall, the Olympus has good exposure and automatic scene selection. It is let down by obvious chromatic aberration in high-contrast areas and blur at the edges (more so than other superzooms I've used recently, like the Sony HX series). The sensor is also comparatively noisy, resulting in either speckles or lack of detail, or in some modes both, even at base ISO. For 6x4 prints this is fine, and probably up to about twice that size, but for A4 or bigger it's going to be noticable particularly if you are cropping the image down. The burst modes, focussing, panoramas and everything else are pretty standard, although the lens can focus at just 3cm, which is a great for tiny flowers, insects etc. The 3-axis stabilization is also as good as the best in class, and works well even at 24x. Overall though, stills are average, and therefore disappointing. 3/5

Video quality: Probably the best thing about this camera is the video performance. It has full 1080p, and 720 at 120fps for slow-motion playback. The 240p is too blurry for any real use. Canon and other makers have similar functions, but what sets this camera apart is the 5-axis stabilization. You can only see how good this is when there is a lot of movement going on (filming while walking, from a car). It basically makes it rock-steady like a steadycam - in fact it almost looks unnatural in rare cases (I assume it's using a digital system to create the extra 2-axis of stabilization, and this can sometimes be seen with extreme movements as a sort of super-smooth movement/pan). However, most of the time it is great and the autofocus is spot-on too, as good as the Sony HX in fact. 5/5

Battery: Good, but as there is no wireless or GPS this isn't surprising. Turning IS off doesn't seem to make any difference in battery life. Holds charge for a long time. 4/5

------------------

Conclusion: This camera is a very good travel camera; huge zoom range, wide for landscapes, and with excellent IS. Images come out very well 95% of the time, but tricky situations benefit from manual scene/mode selection. Detail is not exceptional, but good enough for 90% of users. Video is excellent and can replace a camcorder - just remember buy an extra battery if this is an important function for you, HD video uses a lot of power. Compared to the competition, I would say the Sony equivalent is better in terms of 'gadgets', image processing and scene modes. Canon is better in terms of photo quality. The SH50 isn't quite as good as either, but if having the best possible IS and a touchsceen is important to you, then it might be for you. As always, try before you buy if possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 18 Sep 2013
Ash - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, I should highlight that I'm not a camera/photography expert. I have used a number of compact cameras and compact system cameras in the past and have recently acquired my first DSLR which I am still in the very very early stages of learning how it works. So this review is mainly going to be for the average user rather than someone who is fully immersed in things like ISO and white balance adjustment.

In terms of design, it is a fairly standard compact digital camera with no view finder and a big LCD screen on the back. A plethora of buttons fill the right hand side of the back panel and I was pleasantly surprised to find this particular model has a pop-up flash which neatly slots out of sight when not needed.

In terms of button layout, these are the usual set up of main button surrounded by a four button 'dial' to navigate through the somewhat dense and unintuitive menu. On the top you have the shutter button with zoom toggle and the power button. There is also a dedicated record button for use with the video capture mode, which unfortunately sits exactly under the thumb when holding to take a photo. Thankfully this hasn't resulted in too many accidental activations, but moving it to the top of the device, or in fact anywhere away from the exact spot your thumb rests would have been preferable and avoided any accidental video activations.

In terms of actual performance, I've used Olympus cameras in the past and always been moderately impressed with both the ease of use and camera quality. I have, however, found them slightly lacking in final output compared to the likes of pentax and nikon. I was therefore pleasantly surprised with this particular camera. Not only does it produce good quality photos in everyday casual use, but the excellent zoom produces brilliant close-up and macro shots far surpassing any compact digital camera I've used to date. It may not be DSLR quality, but then you're not paying DSLR money, nor having to heft around the DSLR bulk. It worked very well both indoors and outdoors with good colour reproduction in most photos when viewed back on a larger screen. Additionally the low-light performance was also admirable producing good quality photos although it was still evident that these were taken in low-light. The only real disappointment was the performance of the flash. While I do like the pop-up function, I unfortunately think that in providing this functionality Olympus has reduced the power and/or quality of the flash which was somewhat weaker than I had hoped. As a result, photos taken with the flash failed to match the quality and clarity of those taken in better lighting without the need for the flash.

Another issue I have always had with Olympus products is the software they provide with their cameras. Whilst they have improved the on-device interface, it remains less than intuitive most of the time and requires you to take a significant amount of experimenting to learn how to use it, something that is less than ideal when trying to take some quick photos. But even as annoying as that is, it is the bundle software that they include which I find most irksome. While I appreciate that not everyone has image editing software available (me included) the amount of additional programmes they try to encourage the user to download remains a disappointment to me as it continues to lack a quick and easy user-friendly interface. As such I end up ignoring it and using the inbuilt functionality of whatever operating system I am using, and will continue to do so until camera companies learn to produce clean and light bundled software.

All-in-all this is a great camera. It is perhaps slightly bigger than some compact digital camera but lacks the bulk and weight of both DSLRs and compact system cameras whilst still providing an excellent photo quality. There are ample settings for those who like to tinker, and the considerable optical zoom produces some excellent photos. There are a couple of minor gripes I have with the camera, and the flash is less than great and certainly doesn't live up to the performance of the rest of the device, but if you can live with that, the good points definitely outweigh the negatives by some margin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus Stylus SH-50 Digital Super Zoom Camera, 21 Aug 2013
Olympus Stylus SH-50 Digital Super Zoom Camera: High zoom compact camera

Pros:
- Great optical image stabilisation
- 11 fps continuous shooting
- Full manual controls
- Solid, well-built metal body
- Screen has an excellent resolution
- Good detail in panoramas
- Full 1080p HD video recording
- Lots of features
- 11 image filters

Cons:
- No RAW shooting
- No built-in Wi-Fi
- Touchscreen can't be used in menus
- Images are soft in the corners

Rating: 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to have a compact that has fully manual modes., 10 Oct 2013
Jenny Pea (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
This is a five star product because of the quality of photos, the range of the zoom and the steadiness of pictures when zoomed to it's full extent. I am an amateur owning an old DSLR and a bridge camera, and wanted something fairly compact for general use and convenience. It's too good for that!!

The one problem I have with this camera is the use of the screen for taking pix - I end up with a lot of odd and unintended photos when I have touched the screen in error. Not that it matters, they are soon deleted. I am a button-user!

The excellence of this camera is in the total control you can have over your photos. On P mode there are on-screen adjustments for flash, timer, exposure, white balance, ISO, single/sequential/ shots, and picture ratio (4:3 etc). The on-board meter adjusts the photo according to your settings.

With the Manual mode, you can adjust all the above PLUS there is a sub-menu for ISO, speed and aperture and the on-board meter plays no part in the settings. The effect of your settings is seen on the screen, so you can judge if the aperture/speed are correct for your subject.

The one adjustment over which there is no control is the focus, you are relying on self-focusing which can be tricky at times. But to get this as well is a compact I guess would be nigh on impossible - you'd be looking at a DSLR for this degree of control.

Having used this camera for 5 months I am delighted - I have used it for a complete range of activities, weekends away, holidays, and for the more serious business of the village Photo Club submissions. I took a series of sequential shots on holiday, on full zoom, of waves breaking at the shoreline. I was able to pick the best of the bunch for the September Club meeting, topic "Water's Edge". Success! The more I use the camera the more I get to enjoy it's many features. I haven't explored the delights of video clips, so no comment on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb digital camera, 6 Dec 2013
I wanted to get the previous model to this one but it was not available so I went for the SH-50 which was about 40 more expensive. It was the right decision because this is a superb compact camera. It is robust, easy to use and packed with extras that make it a great camera to use. The quality of photo and movie is excellent. I am very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A step up from my old camera, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Olympus Stylus SH-50 Digital Super Zoom Camera - Silver (16MP, 24x Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Camera)
This camera was delivered much sooner than stated so I was well happy. It works fine in both picture and movie mode. The camera zooms to 24x but then zooms further to x57 optical as displayed on camera screen. The optical will look a little pixelled but that's expected from a full zoom. The slow-motion is absolutely great for capturing those fast paced moment. There is a 'Magic' selection on the camera, one of my favourites is the 'Dramatic' scene - it gives a whole new feel to your subject. The touch screen comes in handy when you don't feel to be pressing buttons all the time. The battery power in somewhat reasonable, but if your someone that is taking shoot constantly at a party for instance, it may need recharging a little sooner than expected. It's bigger than previous cameras that I've had, but you get use to it over a short time. The macro is superb as well as many of the other features. You can take a picture while you video a scene. Sometimes when I'm taking a picture of a subject, it won't always focus on the subject so you may have to move in or away from the subject a little to get that focus. Please note that this may just be an issue with my camera and not necessarily the model of the camera itself.

Some of my favourite shots have been taken with this camera and have been warmly received by viewers on the internet. From my stand point, this camera is quite good. If you're used to buying cheaper cameras like I am, then you'll be somewhat impressed with the difference in quality - I know I was. With its 16mp quality and Panoramic feature, it's definitely worth the buy. There is lots to do on this camera and much to discover as you use it so , enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a point and shoot with a 20 x optical zoom, 5 April 2014
It really does what it says on the box - and then some. I am delighted with my new camera. My old one was fine but only had a 5 x optical zoom so I was getting frustrated trying to capture some shots because of its limitations. I haven't had the Olympus for long and the weather hasn't been good enough to go out and really experiment, but I have discovered how brilliant the zoom is and the panoramic shot feature is also superb. I look forward to discovering many more aspects and meanwhile, the quality of the pictures and the ability to zoom as I choose ticks all the boxes for me. Very good value for money, in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus Stylus Camera, 20 Jan 2014
Lovely camera but after less than a year the Zoom isnt woking properly. I am not sure how to get it repaired under warranty.