5.0 out of 5 stars Finch fan, Liverpool
As with Stalkers I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Despite the heinous acts contained in the story it was an excellent plot line, it gave me the same type of feeling when I read Messiah all those years ago, fast pace and quite dark especially being a woman but this is what makes it a good read and why I've given it 5 stars ,I really like Heckenburg as a character warts and...
Published 23 months ago by Anne Lee, Liverpool

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but typical police thriller with plenty of gore and action.
I'm not too convinced by this novel. It's too formulaic. The coppers are clichéd, the dialogue so busy being witty nothing meaningful develops while the huge emphasis on gore and carnage becomes little more than a distraction to divert attention away from the weaker elements of the plot.

Sacrifice is cleverly designed to keep the reader hooked with...
Published 18 months ago by JK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 476 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars fast paced whodunnit, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Sacrifice (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I’ve done something I always try not to, and read this book before reading the first in the series. Sacrifice is the 2nd book in the Mark ‘Heck’ Heckenburg series.

There’s a serial killer on the loose who kills his victim on significant days of the year (Christmas, Valentines Day etc) and uses the theme of that day in the way in which he kills his victims.
It’s fast paced, and kept my interest all the way through. Pretty gruesome in part, but I don’t see that as a bad thing. Highly recommended to anyone who likes a good serial killer whodunit.

4.0 out of 5 stars More deaths than Midsummer Murders, 2 Aug. 2013
This is a very dark story with more and more deaths every few pages. Unusually, the back stories of the murder victims are explored before they die, rather than being discovered by the investigators. Sergeant "Heck" Heckenberg is seriously unruly as usual, but is allowed to act alone as he gets results others wouldn't. Some parts of this book are rather overwritten, and some locations implausible, but it's a rocking good page turning romp. If you liked the first Heck novel, you'll love this and there's another promised for early 2014. Can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars it gets better from Finch, 1 Aug. 2013
Don't underestimate this author. His second book in the Heckenberg series is immeasurably better than the first, and I get the feeling that this guy is now starting to grow into this. Strong characters, growing relationships, excellent plotting (if a tiny bit far-fetched), and the obvious experience of a an ex-copper. I'm already looking forward to the release of his next novel,in Feb 2014, and I couldn't be prouder of a guy who happens to come from the same town as I. Well done Mr. Finch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucy Ben, 2 Oct. 2013
Wow, what a ride. I couldn't put this book down. Some of the chases either on foot or by car left me totally out of breath. They really are very descriptive. The murder scenes, well how does Mr Finch think them up.
They make your shirt run up your back like a roller blind.(pardon the Northern expression).
Excellent reading. I am now going to start following D.S. Heckenburg (Heck) in Stalkers. After that I will have to wait until next February to read Hunted, but if this book is anything to go by, it will be worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another into the early hours read, 18 Sept. 2014
Once again Mr. Finch and his D.S. Heckenburg kept me reading till the early hours not being able to put this book down.
As a retired Bobby from G.M.P and working over most of the areas mentioned in this book I was able to better understand the layout of the crimes.
Heckenburg once again uses his knowledge and instincts to track down and deal with the offenders, even though at times he is having to also deal with less than adequate leaders and red tape.
Can't wait to start the next book.
GLF
WIGAN (Warrior)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly scary read, 3 Aug. 2013
I was just blown away by the sheer breathtaking pace of Stalkers and the brilliant DS Mark (Heck) Heckenburg. I didn't think Sacrifice would maintain that standard but I'm pleased to say I was wrong, very wrong. At some points of the story I realised I wasn't actually breathing. I was terrified.

Heck is just a brilliant creation, totally my new hero.

There's absolutely nothing more to say except read it, you will not be disappointed.

Cannot wait for Hunted to be released in February 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous police thriller, 12 Aug. 2013
What a follow up to Stalkers. Wasn't,t sure about that one but thought I would try his second book. Got more used to his style of writing. Loved it After a leisurely start it took my life over , could not put it down. A little bit beyond belief what Heck was capable of but riveting to read. A very good escape into the life of a squad room The pecking order etc. Being my local area made it a bit different to me. Recognising most of the towns even the slag heap at Sutton manor. Wow. Roll on the next one. Can't wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs to change this system., 22 Oct. 2013
Mr. M. P. Ryan "Mandolin Man" (Alrewas. Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
I am a regular Amazon customer. I'm therefore asked time and time again to rate my purchase. Sometimes I am moved to write a review, but most times I would simply like to apply a star rating and send.
The Amazon system will not allow me to do that. As I consider my time to be valuable, I have therefore just stopped rating my purchasing altogether.
Surely, it would not be difficult to create some space devoted entirely to rating by the number of stars only.
Does anyone agree with me ? ? ? ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stalkers + Sacrifice, 1 Nov. 2013
Have just read these two thrillers together and can say I thoroughly enjoyed both - more so Sacrifice as I felt this one flowed better and was more true to life and timings; Stalkers felt a little O.T.T. - the hero being far too gung-ho and inexhaustible!
The beauty of these books is the author's descriptive qualities - easy for the reader to picture the scene, and the graphic, tension-building descriptions of situations.
I look forward to more from this author and am now off to download Hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sequel, 1 May 2014
The fact that I read this after the previous book proves that Paul Finch is an adept novelist. By the end of this one you may make yourself a promise that the next book will be more factual and educational. Same detective and other characters. Easy reading, good story line. My only reservation (without spoiling the story) is the revelation at the end was a little hard to fully believe possible, even in this depraved world we live in. Regardless of that I read in a couple of days so must have enjoyed it!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 476 | Next ›