Top positive review
21 people found this helpful
Excellent, Indepth, Easy To Read, Beautifully Illustrated Book
on 28 April 2006
This book is a masterpiece, practically a Bible for any Carnivorous Plant enthusiast. Here are 5 reasons why you should but this book if you havn't already.
1. Great layout ~ It is set in three parts (excluding a great introduction and more); The Basics Of Cultivation, Where to Grow Carnivorous Plants and The Plants themselves. Each part includes idepth chapters. Part 1; Soil, water, dormancy, feeding, pests & diseases + many more are included, Part 2; Greenhouse Conditions, Types, Terrariums/Tanks, Outdoors etc, and part 3 bascially lists all the types of plants including, the famous Venus Flytrap, Pitcher Plants, Sundews, Butterworts and many other less well known ones like Cobra Plants, Dewy Pines, Bladderwors and more (all carnivorous).
Each of the plant chapter lists a well documented list of all the species AND hybrids/crosses with advise/descriptions of each plant etc then explains the cultivation of that particular type of plant in general.
2. Great pictures ~ Many wonderful photos and diagrams of Carnivorous Plants in action!! All detailed, up-close and captioned. The sundew pics are a must see with their dazzling dew-like covered leaves!!
3. Easy to read. Peter D'Amato explains everything clearly and without using complicated words that someone new to Carnivrous Plants wouldn't understand without explaining them. There's also humour in his writing which will make you grin or chuckle to yourself now and again!
4. A great referance~ Once you have read it, it's easy to look back quickly for references of certain new plants you have bought etc Has a great Appendix & Index too.
5. Genuinely interesting unlike most gardening books you get. Gives background infomation and so much more.
There is a LOT more in it than I have mentioned above. This is definitely a must.
Thanks for reading,