Published 19 months ago by Ana García

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like making desserts
Published 5 months ago by BATTESTI Julie

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, inspiring, tasty & full of new ideas of veggie recipes for EVERYONE, 10 Oct. 2013
Please note that I dont say vegetarian, but veggie recipes.... and that is one of the things I liked the most: simple&tasty approach of a true Food Creative that happens to use 'only' veggies in her new cookbook. Beautiful and appealing french style recipes, full of colours, organized by seasons, easy to make, with great flavours and a real pleasure to look at. This is the French Market Cookbook. The author wanted, despite not being vegetarian herself, to cut down her meat and dairy intake by exploring a classic french style cuisine redirected towards a more balanced nutrition. She achieved it in such a natural, playful, easy going way, without any extremism but curiosity and joy... that you can actually feel it through the whole book when reading it. She also explores other cereals than wheat for pastry doughs, which I find brilliant too. I thought I'd like it, that is why I ordered it of course, but it turned out that I enjoyed "The French Market Cookbook" so much, that it has become straight away one of my favorites cookbooks to look for actual recipes or simply for inspiration, for creating new ones myself :) I definitely recommend it for everyone who wants to keep enjoying food, vegetarian or not, in a balanced, good mood and mouth watering way!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, fresh recipes, 11 Sept. 2013
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
We all know, if we appreciate food, that France is full of foodies, gourmets and is nothing short of an assault on the senses. Who has not found their favourite dish,cafe, market in France? Yet it is not that easy to find vegetarian food. Here is a lady who knows all about food, vegetarian a la Parisienne. An original cook and with her own successful food blog. On the opening page, Clotilde declares, if you are in doubt "I am a resolutely vegetable-oriented cook" yet that does nothing to explain the kind of cook she really is. So read on, '... nothing makes my heart flutter like the first, and the last, of any fruit and vegetable'. Now you begin to understand, this lady lives for vegetables and with them she creates veritable dishes to tantalise your taste buds. Clotilde describes her exciting book as a 'love affair between French cuisine and vegetables', drawing on the plant-based fare of the ordinary man and not the haute cuisine we are used to.

The book is organized into seasons, with seasonal vegetables taking part in inspired dishes. The meals include savoury and sweet recipes. The recipes are easy to follow, with ingredients down the left hand column. This is one cookbook where I am tempted to try just about all the recipes. As a vegetarian I love them. We are told to add more vegetables to our meals, so non-vegetarians should also find this book not only fascinating but healthy. Essentials, such as sauces, doughs and stock are given at the back of the book.

The book is filled with good photography, of the recipes and of markets and a few photos of French cafes too. I'm sure, for you too, this will become a favourite. Bon appetit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good dessert recipes, 13 Sept. 2014
I was really looking forward to getting Clothilde Dusoulier's latest book for some interesting plant-based recipes. I'm a huge fan of the Chocolate & Zucchini recipe book but sadly have to say that, by comparison, this one was a bit of a let-down for me.

Most of the recipes are straightforward to follow and will definitely appeal to people looking for a way to cook more vegetables as the main focus of meals. (I'd stress that the 'French' part is kind of loosely based in this book. As Mme Dusolier mentions herself; classical French cooking is not majorly focused on vegetarian or vegan recipes) That's an immensely good thing to adapt and highlight, but does present a main point which is blatantly obvious by the title; this is a market cookery book. If access to very fresh local and seasonal produce is an issue then I'd suggest not buying this. Trying to do the majority of these recipes with anything less than 'fresh from the farm/allotment today' items is going to result in some disappointingly insipid meals. If you can get plenty from local suppliers or your own growing then there's also very useful tips in the recipes to save on any wastage, something that will aid thrifty resourcefulness.

Unfortunately, after browsing the book thoroughly, I found that many of the starters/main courses are all pretty much variations on things that I already cook from vegetarian books. Where it does really shine is on the desserts as there are some delicious looking French dishes, so if you're into sweet things this will be a good addition to a recipe book collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A LOVELY BOOK, 10 July 2014
For me, there's nothing nicer than to buy a cookbook written by someone who lives somewhere you don't, and who writes engagingly, peppers the book with homely anecdotes and easy to follow recipes, illustrates by stunning photographs.

This book covers all bases.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, unpretentious and totally delicious!!!, 19 May 2014
This is a very good book! The recipes are quite simple but the result is always delicious! The book is divided into four parts - according to seasons. This way it also encourages using seasonal fruits/vegetables... totally recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like making desserts, 9 Dec. 2014
I have to agree with one of the reviews below saying that it is a bit useless if you can't get your hands on fresh produce directly from a farmer. You might not be interested in this book if, like me, you live in the city and are not particularly bothered about desserts. Being French myself, I was excited to receive this book, however, it is more of a collection of finger food, side dishes and dessert recipes, which seems like a huge effort for a small result.

5.0 out of 5 stars imaginative and clear, 29 Sept. 2013
This is a really good book : clearly written and inspiring. I have bought a copy for my sister too

5.0 out of 5 stars It has recipies that are easy and simple with a little French flair, 28 July 2014
The cookbook is all that and more.It has recipies that are easy and simple with a little French flair.

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual recipes, enjoying food while being a vegetarian, 18 May 2014
Since my partner became a vegetarian we eat mostly vegetarian diet. He is an excellent cook and is quite picky with recipes. I bought him this book for his birthday and everything which he made based on it is very tasty.
I started to notice that the best food is indeed vegetarian. A good addition for food lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented, clear instructions and many are dairy free ..., 25 Aug. 2014
, Beautifully presented,clear instructions and many are dairy free and gluten free. So many gorgeous dishes to choose from. Highly recommended... Book and cover published in superb quality.