5.0 out of 5 stars Step aside, Mr Sheeran... Aural Perfection!
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Brightside

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Was okay - a bit disappointing
Published 28 days ago by Sally

5.0 out of 5 stars Step aside, Mr Sheeran... Aural Perfection!, 26 Nov 2012
Mr. Brightside (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I stumbled across Mike Rosenberg busking in St. Anne's Square, Manchester a little under two years ago and can honestly say I was completely taken aback and mesmerised from the first line of his first song. A true modern singer/songwriter, similarities have been suggested between him and the great Cat Stevens (not without reason either!), his voice is unique and he has an amazing talent for writing clever lyrics, sometimes humorous, sometimes touching but always somehow getting the balancing act just right - never overly maudlin or saccharin-sweet.

This is a man who lives for his music - once a member of the band Passenger (who played Glastonbury and were featured on BBC Radio 1) he kept the moniker after the group disbanded, and now he busks and performs not to become rich or famous, but to make a modest living and to cover the production and recording costs of his next record - because he appreciates that life is a journey and making music is what he loves to do.

All The Little Lights is his 4th album as a solo recording artist ('Divers & Submarines', 'Wide Eyes, Blind Love' and his collaboration record 'Flight of the Crow' coming before it) and the larger production budget on this record really shows, with a much more polished end product than his earlier records. You'll be pleased to know that his lyrical ability remains untouched however, and the album has a lovely flow to it with brighter melodic tunes interspersed amongst his classic acoustic sounds. In a neat touch Passenger has also included acoustic live versions of certain tracks, which really allow his voice to shine through in a way studio-produced material never can.

This record (and artist) really is a ray of light in an otherwise largely dark and murky current world of rehashed classic records, heavily sampled chart music and manufactured artists. I strongly urge anyone with an interest in good original easy listening music to pick this record up (especially at the bargain price of 4!) and experience one of the most exciting and enjoyable upcoming names in music for yourselves.

Passenger is currently supporting Ed Sheeran on his UK and European Tour, before setting out on his own UK, European, US and Australian tours from January 2013 so if you like what you hear, go see him whilst you can! Buckle up and enjoy the ride, I feel you'll be hearing a lot more of this musician in the next year or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful contemporary folk music, 18 Oct 2013
ReviewBlog51 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All The Little Lights (Audio CD)
Mike Rosenberg has a very good, distinctive voice, and I first heard it on the radio via the emotional 'Let It Go'. I played this haunting track to death on Spotify and decided to check out the rest of the songs on the mother album 'All The Little Lights', after hearing only 30 second clips on Amazon, I knew that I had to have it.

Whilst I still regard 'Let It Go' as the best track out of twelve, the whole album is very easy to enjoy. The music is mostly acoustic and if you listen to the lyrics, you'll be able to hear that they are real and honest, sometimes depressing and sometimes funny. The whole record is very catchy and playable, with highlights like 'Holes' and 'The Wrong Direction'. The instrument range is varied, myself (and I assume most people) can really relate to the lyrics, and I can't imagine anyone not getting some enjoyment out of 'All The Little Lights'.

I think that Mike is very talented young man, and if he continues to make music like this, he has a very good future ahead of him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passenger / Mike Rosenberg is brilliant!, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: All The Little Lights (Audio CD)
I bought All The Little Lights after just seeing Mike Rosenberg sing his hit song, Let Her Go, on Jools Holland's 'Later' and have not been disappointed (unlike most other artists I buy from limited hearing). I listen to the album in the car repeatedly and cannot fault it in any way. As a folkie musician myself I like to think I'm pretty discerning and there's not much I haven't heard before but Passenger is really something fresh, original, bright, literate, interesting, insightful and full of a strange kind of joy (despite some rather dark lyrics in places). Also, having checked out interviews and YouTube clips, Mike Rosenberg comes across as a genuinely modest and decent bloke. Disarmingly honest in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like...., 4 July 2013
Robert Carpenter (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All The Little Lights (Audio CD)
I was intrigued with the single and bought this album on a whim and wasn't disappointed. When I first hear his voice I thought it sounded incredibly like Paolo Nutini which isn't a bad thing as I have a few of Paolo's albums. I love the quality of the lyrics on this album which is scarce these days(not all artists I might add) It makes me want to check out the other albums now. Good luck Mike on a lengthy stay on the pop scene. Definitely no one-hit wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, 14 Jan 2013
Saw Passenger when he came to Belfast and supported Ed Sheeran. WOW this fella is like a male Tracy Chapman..This Album feels like a very very accomplished polished album from an very talented fella indeed...I just love it. Every song is like a theme tune. I predict he's gonna be heard everywhere and for good reason. Such a talent. Booked to see him again :) Buy this album. You will NOT be disappointed..

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album in years, 22 Jun 2013
Wadster "Sparkygator" (Bletchley, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Little Lights (MP3 Download)
This is possibly the best albumi have boughtin the last 5 years. Wonderful it gives me goose bumps every timei listen to it. Lyrics are so great you know when you listen and can empathise with it. Much love uncle ben.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 17 Jun 2013
Not a bad song on it, loved it, would recommend it to anyone who likes Mumford and sons. An absolutely amazing album.

5.0 out of 5 stars all the little lights, 30 May 2013
This review is from: All the Little Lights (MP3 Download)
excellent love it the whole album is great worth every penny.what more can I say buy it you won't be disappointed it the best ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stand Out Songs, 24 Nov 2013
Mrs. L. C. Ramsden "Stevie 333" (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All The Little Lights (Audio CD)
I bought this cd on the back of 'Let Her Go' and 'All the Little Lights'. These and a couple of other songs are real stand out songs; so beautiful and quite moving.
I don't know Passenger's work and so I wasn't expecting the other side of him.
These are almost talking songs like Lucy Spraggan. I wasn't prepared for the bad language (I played the cd to my grandson in the car) I will have to edit it. I was also surprised in the 21st century a songwriter used the word 'spastic'. Oh so it rhymed with something? No excuse.
I am probably too old to understand this singer/songwriter; I believe he has real talent, but I am not a 100% sold on him, or this cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 25 May 2013
This review is from: All The Little Lights (Audio CD)
Never heard of this guy before but listened to this album and am now a fan! Play it all the time.

All the Little Lights