on 11 June 2013
The thought of yet another animated film to add to my 5 year old boys collection was, to be completely honest, almost more than I could bear. The first showing of any animated film is great, and, not unlike my son, I'm usually quite excited to watch it. However, now I'm a (somewhat) seasoned parent with a huge library of animated films, I know what comes next. The 2nd viewing, the 3rd, the 4th...on and on and on and on......until you'd be happy if some fairly serious accident were to befall this (now) treasured dvd, bespite the ensuing tears that will enevitably follow.
HOWEVER.....the Lego films are a breath of fresh air (and not just the Starwars ones) they are easy to watch and humorous (even for grown ups). I've sat through at least 15 showings of this one now, and I'm not employing the food processor to help construct an elaborate dvd accident!
on 25 March 2013
It's only 20 mins long. It's extremely over-priced for such a short feature. Wouldn't recommend unless it comes down in price considerably.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2013
As expected the animation is really good and my son loves it. Bitterly disappointed when we realised it was only twenty minutes long. Wish I'd read the reviews first! You have been warned!
on 26 March 2013
This is a fab short film. The Empire strikes out features many favourite characters from the Starwars series, including Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Darth Maul and the Emperor.

The film will be enjoyed by both adults and kids but to get the most from the films its best to have viewed the orginal starwars films.

The film begins with the rebels destroying the Death Star. The rebels fear a counter attacks and so plan to destroy the storm trooper base. Luke is sent to find the base while Hans and Leia try to enlist the help of the Gungan Warriors. Mean while Darth Vader is angry and seeks to find Skywalker, Emperor Palpatine arrives and plans to rebuild the Death Star out of LEGO pieces with Darth Vader and Darth Maul. Luke and Vader end up meeting on Naboo and a battle takes place.

I have to say it is the Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader and Darth Maul who provide the best comedy in the film. All their scenes had me laughting out load. Darth Mauls steals the show with his entrance into the film singing Awesome. In fact Maul also rebuilds the Deathstar to look like himself much to the Emperors displeasure and to me it ends up resembling a gimp mask, cue more giggles.

Great film only wish it was longer.
on 27 March 2013
We all love these Lego Films. There is great humour in them for young and old alike. The "Empire Strikes Out" is the latest offering.My 8 year old son loved it and it made us all chuckle in places...BUT....
"Star Wars-The Padawan Menace" ran to 28 mins and this latest effort even beats that for only running to 20 mins!!!

The kids were really dejected when the credits rolled after such a short time.
I know it must take a lot of effort to make these animated films but it does leave the Lego customer feeling short changed!
Hence only 4 stars.
Come on Lego...give your customers a bit more value for money please.
on 18 August 2013
I'd recommend this DVD to anyone with young children who love Star Wars. Both my 6 year old girl and 2 year old boy love it and will watch it several times in a row if I let them! Adults who remember the original trilogy will really get the humour too, it's laugh out loud in places, and actually more funny than 'The Padawan Menace' which is also excellent. The only reason I can dock a star is simply that it isn't very long and isn't packed with extra's like 'The Padawan Menace' that really is my only gripe!
on 10 November 2013
This is the second time I've bought this for my children. It's not that they wore it out as such: they left it on the floor and trod on it. It was such a good DVD, though, that I had to replace it.

I'm so glad that both LEGO and Star Wars/Lucasfilm/Disney have allowed these videos to be made. They make my children laugh every time they watch it. One of my children just now told me to "remember to say that it's funny". Job done.
on 4 June 2013
If you love Lego and Star Wars then this is the ideal item for you, I collect the Lego Star Wars minifigures and it's was a bonus to get the exclusive minifigure with the DVD.

When this came through the post my three boys wanted to watch it immediately, we had seen the last 5 minutes on Cartoon Network and it had us all in stitches.

As Darth Maul says, "Awesome, Awesome"
on 1 March 2015
This is a very short film but it is packed full of in-jokes and one-liners that make it something you can watch several times (I watched it four times in a row and I don't usually watch films more than once). I think they decided that weren't going to waste any frames on anything that was less that really quite funny. Surprisingly memorable for just twenty minutes long. At £3 I didn't feel cheated.
on 6 April 2013
My 8 year old son loves this BUT didnt realise it was only 20 minutes long so think it is very over priced. Also paid extra for the mini figure which i was promised to be sent - however when it arrived no mini figure was included. This was suppose to be for my sons easter present so i now have a very upset and disappointed little boy!!!!!!!!!!!