5.0 out of 5 stars The truth can hurt, 8 Jan 2007
R. P. Hobday - See all my reviews
The important thing about this book is that it shows you how easy it is to go wrong. Stone's book 'Successful Direct Marketing Methods' is great because it's full of explanations of how things work, but it is quite formal. Drayton Bird's book is more humble - and not afraid to explain how easy it is to make a mistake. The incredible thing is that people today are launching products and making the very same mistakes!

Surely it's worth reading about the principles of marketing - as described in detail so clearly by Drayton - before losing all your money?!

Peter Hobday

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - ideas packed and funny!, 9 April 2008
J. Oman (UK) - See all my reviews
I was cautious when purchasing this book, as i long for the balance between a course book (serious and academic) and professional (full or examples). I am a marketing and pr manager and this book is just what i needed. i get inspired every ten pages! i highly recommend it. the language is simple, and funny. the book is full of real life examples from big and small companies. the author is an experience, long-term businessman. the book is around 450 pages, bulky and a great value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A handbook for SMEs, 5 Jan 2003
C. M. Perkins (Stirling, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
As the back cover states, this is mandatory reading for marketing managers. If you're an SME without a dedicated marketing manager this book will provide the education you need to get the most from your marketing spend. It did for me. The book covers everything you need to know if you want to do a DIY marketing job that will look like it was done by professionals. If you've got a bit more to spend, there are also chapters on choosing and working with an agency.

5.0 out of 5 stars is it sad that I love this book?, 5 Jan 2012
First off I have no interest in copywriting what so ever!

My English is terrible and I'd prefer to listen to a audio version over the book any day. (hint hint)

BUT

There is something about this book that makes me want to read from cover to cover. I love advertising, I love split testing and the power of changing one simple thing can have over a businesses bottom line.

I'm an SEO Consultant and there are not many books out there for me to read. Partly due to them being outdated by the time they are printed. That's why this book is my bed time reading.

Its light, with plenty of examples and pictures of past word and it really makes me appreciate the direct marketing industry. To the extent that when I get junk mail through the post I keep the best examples.

The fact I can read it from cover to cover shows how good Drayton bird is as a copywriter.

SO if you love advertising, marketing or just enjoy learning stuff then put this on your wish list because there are a lot of lessons to learn in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for all involved in direct marketing, 29 May 1999
By A Customer
This book is excellent and should be read by all those working within direct marketing, working within publishing I have found this book an invaluable resource which I am sure I will read and re-read. A useful summary for the beginner and also more experienced marketeer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the cover., 19 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I can honestly say this has been the best marketing book I have ever read. You can now burn your Kotler texts and burn every other book you've ever bought on marketing. This book is simply superb.
Bird cuts through all the fluff and gets to the point everytime with relevant examples and years of solid experience.
This book it one investment that will pay for itself many times over.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only ever buy one marketing book - make it this one, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Commonsense Direct and Digital Marketing (Kindle Edition)
See Above - there's no substitute for experience and 'The Old Bird' delivers in spades. Well written covering virtually every point needed for the modern and traditional marketer alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had read this years before, 22 Nov 2012
This is a brilliant guide to direct marketing, whether on paper on online. It is filled which lots of examples and I can honestly say that, having followed the advice in this book, it has made a substantial difference to my business (I am a former journalist doing PR).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible for real marketers, 27 Nov 2010
Worth a read... and a re-read... and another read... in fact... just keep it beside you and dip in and out of it as much as you can. Funny, insightful, brilliant.

Jason Sullock, author of 555 Quick n Dirty Marketing Tips

5.0 out of 5 stars Increase your profits. Read this book., 20 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Every sentence in this book makes complete sense. It's an inspiring read that can not fail to make you want to act on his some of his observations and advice to increase and improve the results of your marketing activities.

ARRAY(0xac36a5e8)