TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 December 2014
After I got the X10 it seemed a logical upgrade to move to the X20, there are a number of obvious improvements in this model not least the "optical viewfinder" with shooting information (shutter speed, aperture, ISO) is very welcomed. But the move to the newer X-Trans CMOS sensor brings a very different type of shooting experience from the X10

At first glance this looks very close to the X10 body wise and it is, bar a minor change of buttons (the D pad now has the AF mode on it swapped with the drive mode a minor modification) the camera in other ways is a clone of the prior model (not a bad thing in my view)
You have the same 28-112mm F2-F2.8 lens an excellent optic and fast for a zoom lens. Fuji have re-vamped the menus breaking them into tabs, the RAW button is now the Q button (it brings up the quick menu just like the X10 did after the firmware update)

What's not to like? Well shooting with the X20 proved to be quite a lot different to the X10 and mostly in relation to the sensor.

I'll do my usual summary of good and bad points

Good stuff:
+ Handling is mostly good, with plenty of customisation and custom settings bank (2 postions here to store your camera settings)
+ Excellent build quality solid magnesium alloy case, appealing "retro" styling
+ New optical viewfinder overlay is excellent, it shows approx focus point, ISO, shutter speed and aperture very useful, eye sensor shuts down LCD when being used
+ Some new film modes (pro neg) and the option for double exposures
+ Q menu is very useful and avoids the need to dive into the main menu system
+ You can now customise the min and max auto ISO levels as well as set a min shutter speed
+ New sensor outputs at a native 12mp and is capable of good detail reproduction in some cases it resolved details a bit better than the X10's sensor
+ Phase detect AF is now on the sensor, slight speed improvement, less prone to occasional focus errors v the X10 solid performance all round
+ Good flash exposures with intelligent balancing of ambient and flash (a Fuji strong point for a while now)
+ How shoe for external flash
+ You now have an external mic input (but sadly it's not a 3.5mm standard you'll need an adapter)
+ Audio levels can be adjusted in video mode, you can also use creative filters in video mode
+ 12fps continuous shooting, you can develop jpegs from raw in camera

Weaker areas:
- The X-Trans CMOS sensor can't compete with the EXR in terms of dynamic range there was a notable difference in output between the two with the X20 struggling with shadows and highlights esp at DR 100% and in tricky harsh lighting even at DR 400% wasn't able to match the X10
- Video output is quite weak, worse than the X10 details are poor and false colours are evident odd choice of fps (60fps and full HD no 30fps option) focus still tends to hunt like the X10 despite the new AF system, bar audio levels no manual controls
- Jpeg engine has strong noise reduction/smearing even at the -2 setting, black speckles a problem with higher DR settings
- SR+ is a poor substitute for the X10's EXR mode (really just another advanced auto program)
- Battery life isn't great, I struggled to get 200 shots per charge (below the indicated CIPA rating) even with low flash use
- I noted a loss of saturation at higher ISO levels even in raw most problematic at ISO 1600 and over
- Metering tends to underexposure (by quite a bit esp low light) shadows can be plugged

On paper the X20 does just about everything right and improves on the X10 in every way (some improvements are minor, some very welcomed) The start up times are quicker, card writing is more rapid, the new phase detect does increase accuracy somewhat too, the major one though is the optical viewfinder which was just "bare" on the X10 now has a raft of useful information on exposure which really makes it a more viable option and one you might actually want to use it.

Body wise Fuji got it right ironing out the kinks with this model

**Image Quality**

In normal light the X20 is capable of good image quality with good detail retention and pleasing colour output. White balance whilst not perfect also seems better in artificial light, though somewhat cool at times in daylight.

I ran the X20 head to head with the X10 and found both cameras are very different animals and require a unique way of working. Firstly the X20 has the much heralded X-Trans CMOS sensor this has proven popular with Fuji's APS-C line of ILC X cameras, here though it doesn't seem to do as well, at least that's what I found field shooting the cameras

In harsher lighting the X20 was prone to blowing out the highlight end and crushing the blacks, not helped by the cautious metering, you do have DR 200/400% just like the X10 but there is no option to shoot at 6mp (sensor is a non bayer but the EXR has a unique layout designed for big dynamic range) this means the X20 ramps up the ISO levels (ISO 200 at DR 200% ISO 400 at DR 400%) with images degrading due to noise. At full resolution DR 400% did improve the DR quite a lot, but it was no match for the X10's EXR sensor which even at full resolution was able to pull in more shadow and highlight details. In 6mp EXR mode the X10 hands down thumped the X20 esp raw where there was quite a significant gap between the two models. In normal light DR 200% might prove adequate for dynamic range on the X20, but the option to shoot at 6mp with the EXR sensor is sorely missed.

At full resolution the X20 in "some cases" was able to show better details than the X10, but the difference was not large, and in some shots the X10 seemed to do better. Either way it's not significant and didn't yield a huge step up despite the lack of AA filter on the X20

At high ISO levels the metering of the X10 worked better (it's more generous and aggressive which helps reduce noise) I had to add most times about a stop more exposure to the X20 to match the X10, whilst colour noise was less than the EXR sensor, colour fidelity and saturation took a dive (even using raw with no NR at all) The X20's sensor seems to lose vibrancy at high ISO levels more than the X10's. I would have to say that the X10's low light image quality is better than the X20's in both raw and jpeg

Jpegs:
A special note on this one, the X10 had good jpegs not perfect but an ideal balance between detail retention and noise reduction (my setting was -2 for more details) some noise but details were maintained. This has changed entirely ont the X20 at normal settings the NR is strong even at lower ISO levels, setting the camera to -2 did improve things but artefacts and speckles were noted in images, quite a lot of smoothing. Most users want a choice so it's odd even the lowest NR setting still has strong smearing of details.

**Video**

I don't shoot much video but was very surprised to see a notable downturn in video quality on the X20, whilst this isn't that important to me it's hard to be comfortable with the step backwards, whilst you can adjust sound levels and the built in mic is quite good (captures a decent frequency range in stereo), the footage lacked definition (false colours) and had a hazing when shot in low light. The choice of only 60fps for Full HD is also a strange one, there is no option for 30fps. Quality is significantly worse than the X10 video output (which itself was far from a benchmark in a premium compact)

Conclusion:

I liked the X20 in every way except the change to the new sensor, whilst I've personally used the X-Trans CMOS sensor on some of the APS-C offerings for some reason this smaller sensor just doesn't seem to benefit from the technology. The EXR sensor is in my view better suited to this size of sensor.

Had I not shot with the X10 extensively for some time I might be happy enough with the X20 in normal shooting it does quite well, but when the tables turn and you face harsher contrasty lighting, the EXR sensor just stretches it's muscles and can deliver class leading dynamic range. With the X10 you can set the camera to 6mp DR 400% and in almost all situations hold highlights and shadow details very well, in raw the latitude goes beyond what you would expect from a small sensor camera. Shooting with the X20 you will have to try to hold the highlights and pull up the shadows in post, this camera favours raw shooting over jpeg (by some margin) the jpegs themselves are not up to the usual Fuji standard either with aggressive noise reduction and smearing fine details.

Both cameras demand their own way of working, if you have used the X10 then you cannot apply the same shooting methods to the X20, you will have to be much more careful with exposures, shooting the X10 is like shooting negative film, the X20 much closer to slide the latitude is less.

Fuji have improved the X20 in almost every way over the X10, except in the most important aspect and that is the sensor. For whatever reason the X20 just doesn't manage to match the X10's impressive tonal and dynamic range, and at the end of the day this matters more than the other improvements. The X20 is a camera that if you've never shot an EXR Fuji you may get along with quite well, but the X10's ability to tame difficult exposure situations and offer a solid performance in lower light remains unchallenged.

I sold the X20 and replaced it with another X10, I honestly just prefer the images from the X10. If you don't need a big dynamic range compact and are happy to shoot raw and video output isn't important the X20 is a solid enough camera, but if you want a compact that punches up with bigger sensor cameras at least with dynamic range, albeit with some warts and niggles the X10 is the one to hunt out, or look at some of the ILC models from various makers which feature bigger sensors.
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2013
For a few years I've been very happy having a Canon DSLR with a few lenses as my main serious camera, and a pocketable compact Canon S100 as the camera I carry around with me everywhere. The S100 has most of the features and image quality of their G series serious compacts in a smaller body.

I've upgraded my DSLR and my S series camera a couple of times when it looked like it was worth it.

But I recently traded in an expensive lens I wasn't using as much as I thought I would for this Fuji and what a joy it is! Earlier cameras I owned needed some post-processing to bring out their best. For photos I thought might be "keepers" I shot in RAW.

I've exhibited and sold some photos, so not only talking about family snapshots (though they've been fun too)

But this Fuji X20 makes pictures that are fine to use and print up to A2 size straight out of the camera if you know what you're doing.

OK it's still a compact camera with a compact sensor and won't produce images as scientifically accurate as larger cameras. But it can take fantastic photos that look so good and belie its compact size. It's the first compact camera I've had that can actually give those blurred backgrounds and creamy bokeh if you set it up right.

Colours are fantastic, aided by being able to choose from several "film" settings informed by Fuji's history of making various films for pre-digital cameras. Various Black and White options are included and make the best images I've ever seen from a digital camera.

One of the most impressive functions here is the Dynamic Range adjustability - it really makes a difference to the overall quality of the photos from this impressive camera.

Video recording is apparently not much to shout about but I never use this. Some complain about battery life but I shot 114 photos today and had no problems.

Size-wise it's not a pocket camera, more like a Canon G-series but with a lens that doesn't retract. The pay-off is a superb lens with fewer design compromises.

Some reviewers have complained about the lack of a neutral-density filter which would allow you to use slower shutter speeds in bright conditions for smoothing waterfalls or getting nice motion-blur. I can live with that.

What I haven't mentioned is what this camera is like to actually use and how it looks. It looks and handles like a small old-fashioned top-of-the-range film camera - plenty of manual controls where you need them, less delving through menus. And the build and looks are reassuringly traditional. Don't know why this makes a difference but it does!

And the icing on the cake is a traditional optical viewfinder. This isn't the same as through-the-lens DSLR, but old-style rangefinder with added info like on TTL. Much more useful than Canon G cameras and previous Fuji X10. But you can use the LCD screen most of the time.

If you want a small point-and-shoot-and-forget camera this probably isn't it for you. But if you want a classy looking small camera that can make superb photos it's worth a look. I'm very impressed.
on 29 August 2014
I originally bought this camera for my holidays, having worked as a professional photographer for several years, I'd always felt the need to carry several bodies and a range of lenses which has amounted to some considerable weight. So I thought I would bite the bullet and buy a simple small good quality camera. Quite simply I've been blown away by the quality of this thing! It feels right, it's easy to use and can produce some quite astounding effects - bearing in mind it only cost about £500. Although this is listed as being an "enthusiasts camera" with a little bit of study / knowledge and practice, a complete novice could produce some beautiful photos.

I cannot recommend this enough, it now rarely leaves my side, I frequently carry this on my bike when I'm out riding to capture anything I see along the way. I also love the styling - looks a bit like my dad's old Leica 3! Love it! Most enjoyable camera I've ever had.
on 1 August 2013
After using and playing with my X20 for about a month, I think the pros and cons are becoming clearer.

Obviously it is not the most compact of 'compacts' and it hasn't got the zoom range of a super-zoom compact, but that is missing the point. It has a larger than average sensor and can take some superb photos with the Fujifilm colour styles that they are famous for. The optical viewfinder is a very useful addition, but in all honesty and even considering the features incorporated, it is only a halfway-house compared to the best digital viewfinders now seen on some mirrorless system cameras. But it is what it is, and every tool is a compromise in some way. At least it has got a good viewfinder. What it hasn't got is a tilting screen for those hip-shots and overhead opportunities.
The twist-to-start lens and manual zoom take a bit of getting used to, but while the manual zoom is great, the twist to start feature strikes me as being a bit cumbersome after a while.

I really do like this camera. Its style, its apparent quality and the features it does incorporate, as well as the pictures it is capable of taking. As a 'best' camera for street photography and social occasions it fits the bill. If you want something that has a greater zoom, longer battery life [extra batteries are less than £10 though] and can slide in and out of a small pocket, it isn't for you. If you want a satisfying lump of engineering both to look at and to use, that is much cheaper than some premium fixed focal length advanced compacts, that has real retro 'style' and is to complement, rather than replace a premium mirrorless system or SLR and a small sensor super-zoom compact [thinking TZ Panasonic or Sony HX series], then this is it.

There is so much choice in the camera market just now and Fuji have made a camera that is almost 'loveable' and distinct.
on 13 May 2014
I wanted a camera more compact than my DSLR as I found I wasn't carrying the big bulky camera around. This makes an excellent compact and portable alternative. Really happy with the performance of this camera, the quality of the pictures is excellent and it is a solid bit of kit. My DSLR doesn't get a look-in these days, even on holiday I used my X20 for all my shooting. Good fast lens in low light; you have to be realistic with your expectations however, this isn't going to compare to a 50mm f1.4 lens on a DSLR. Much better than plasticky, poor quality compacts, much more portable than DSLRs. No hesitation in recommending this camera.
on 12 November 2013
I have owned many small, pocketable or travel cameras over the years, but this X20 from Fuji ticks all my boxes. It is made of real metal, not plastic, had a good weight to it, is very pleasingly designed, reminding me of rangefinder cameras of the '50's and '60's that I started my photo career with. The zoom range is adequate, I would have liked a 35mm equivalent of 24mm at the wide end, but hey ho. The tele end is nice for portraits, especially with the special portrait setting in the special effect menu. There are lots of special effects, which I normally ignore, but there are some really useful ones, like the facility to obtain a sharp hand held night shot by combining several frames from an automatic sequence. The viewfinder, while not being as sophisticated as the one in the X100s, is very bright, zooms as the lens zooms, does a good job of parallax compensation and has a digital display of useful data as well - perfect for shooting in bright light when you cant see the screen properly. I cannot recommend this camera highly enough considering the price and the quality.
on 4 July 2014
Retired pro photographer with both pro grade Film & Digital Cameras, Very Good Cameras but also very heavy for everyday casual use. The Fuji X20 meets all my photographic needs now with excellent build quality couple with excellent results - this camera is highly recommended.
on 12 April 2014
Fits neatly in my coat pocket. Plenty of creative options & superb quality for a camera of this size & price. Have always been a Canon devotee so was pleasantly surprised at the build quality and functionality of the X20. Great little camera and looks cool too!
on 17 September 2013
I ummed and ahhed for ages over what camera to get as a second backup camera to my Nikon dslr, I wanted something smaller that was simpler to carry around all day when out and about on city breaks or walking in the mountains, but could still take a cracking photo. Pleased to say that this little beauty is an excellent choice. The picture quality is fantastic, as good as my Nikon (it is an older Nikon), has enough features, controls and filters on it to satisfy my artistic fiddlings, and it looks great. The optical viewfinder is a great feature on a camera like this, very handy for when bright sunlight makes the LCD screens tricky for composing shots. The only minor irritation is that if you use the camera a lot during the day, you may run out of battery power, but carrying a second battery is easy and cheap enough. Really like this camera, and am using it much more than my dslr at the moment, it's a joy to use.
on 17 August 2014
This isn't a superzoom. It's not ultra light weight. But it is great! The image and build quality are really first class. As a working professional photographer and photojournalist, I love the ergonomic but classic looking metal body and the general 'usability'. The zoom is useful if not outstanding. Very quiet in use too, and the files generated are not too big - another practical bonus. Overall, a brilliant compact camera, reminiscent of my Leicas and very well priced at the moment. I am contemplating buying a second ... the viewfinder is useful and the screen, though it does not tilt is very good.