5.0 out of 5 stars Superb camera
For a few years I've been very happy having a Canon DSLR with a few lenses as my main serious camera, and a pocketable compact Canon S100 as the camera I carry around with me everywhere. The S100 has most of the features and image quality of their G series serious compacts in a smaller body.

I've upgraded my DSLR and my S series camera a couple of times when it...
Published 13 months ago by Phill Lister

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing dream
I have hankered over one for ages, so splashed out at Xmas. I love 35mm rangefinders also viewfinders, I hate looking at screens.
I often find its better to want than have, this is the case here too.
Good points
Looks cool
Viewfinder
Good at high iso

Bad points
Hard to get a good photo out of it.
Flash photos are normally...
Published 7 months ago by x19

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb camera, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm X20 Digital Camera Silver (12MP X-Trans CMOS II With EXR Processor II, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.8 inch Premium LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)

I've upgraded my DSLR and my S series camera a couple of times when it looked like it was worth it.

But I recently traded in an expensive lens I wasn't using as much as I thought I would for this Fuji and what a joy it is! Earlier cameras I owned needed some post-processing to bring out their best. For photos I thought might be "keepers" I shot in RAW.

I've exhibited and sold some photos, so not only talking about family snapshots (though they've been fun too)

But this Fuji X20 makes pictures that are fine to use and print up to A2 size straight out of the camera if you know what you're doing.

OK it's still a compact camera with a compact sensor and won't produce images as scientifically accurate as larger cameras. But it can take fantastic photos that look so good and belie its compact size. It's the first compact camera I've had that can actually give those blurred backgrounds and creamy bokeh if you set it up right.

Colours are fantastic, aided by being able to choose from several "film" settings informed by Fuji's history of making various films for pre-digital cameras. Various Black and White options are included and make the best images I've ever seen from a digital camera.

One of the most impressive functions here is the Dynamic Range adjustability - it really makes a difference to the overall quality of the photos from this impressive camera.

Video recording is apparently not much to shout about but I never use this. Some complain about battery life but I shot 114 photos today and had no problems.

Size-wise it's not a pocket camera, more like a Canon G-series but with a lens that doesn't retract. The pay-off is a superb lens with fewer design compromises.

Some reviewers have complained about the lack of a neutral-density filter which would allow you to use slower shutter speeds in bright conditions for smoothing waterfalls or getting nice motion-blur. I can live with that.

What I haven't mentioned is what this camera is like to actually use and how it looks. It looks and handles like a small old-fashioned top-of-the-range film camera - plenty of manual controls where you need them, less delving through menus. And the build and looks are reassuringly traditional. Don't know why this makes a difference but it does!

And the icing on the cake is a traditional optical viewfinder. This isn't the same as through-the-lens DSLR, but old-style rangefinder with added info like on TTL. Much more useful than Canon G cameras and previous Fuji X10. But you can use the LCD screen most of the time.

If you want a small point-and-shoot-and-forget camera this probably isn't it for you. But if you want a classy looking small camera that can make superb photos it's worth a look. I'm very impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but probably not an only camera., 1 Aug 2013
After using and playing with my X20 for about a month, I think the pros and cons are becoming clearer.

Obviously it is not the most compact of 'compacts' and it hasn't got the zoom range of a super-zoom compact, but that is missing the point. It has a larger than average sensor and can take some superb photos with the Fujifilm colour styles that they are famous for. The optical viewfinder is a very useful addition, but in all honesty and even considering the features incorporated, it is only a halfway-house compared to the best digital viewfinders now seen on some mirrorless system cameras. But it is what it is, and every tool is a compromise in some way. At least it has got a good viewfinder. What it hasn't got is a tilting screen for those hip-shots and overhead opportunities.
The twist-to-start lens and manual zoom take a bit of getting used to, but while the manual zoom is great, the twist to start feature strikes me as being a bit cumbersome after a while.

I really do like this camera. Its style, its apparent quality and the features it does incorporate, as well as the pictures it is capable of taking. As a 'best' camera for street photography and social occasions it fits the bill. If you want something that has a greater zoom, longer battery life [extra batteries are less than 10 though] and can slide in and out of a small pocket, it isn't for you. If you want a satisfying lump of engineering both to look at and to use, that is much cheaper than some premium fixed focal length advanced compacts, that has real retro 'style' and is to complement, rather than replace a premium mirrorless system or SLR and a small sensor super-zoom compact [thinking TZ Panasonic or Sony HX series], then this is it.

There is so much choice in the camera market just now and Fuji have made a camera that is almost 'loveable' and distinct.

4.0 out of 5 stars X20 best option of this type, 15 Aug 2013
Sn Baines (st albans, hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Mainly purchased the X20 as I can't be doing with using DSLR's anymore due to size and sticking out like a sore thumb in this day and age of paranoia, regarding taking photo's in public places ,that seems epidemic in modern Britain !
Rant over , while the X20 can't reach the levels of modern larger sensor camera's in ultimate IQ ,it does produce very nice colours and sharpness that 90% of the population would not be able to tell the difference compared to the large sensor camera's.
What the X20 brings to the table is a very photographic orientated tool, with lots of manual controls and a very useable optical viewfinder , all of which harks back to the film era in design and philosophy such as small simple cameras like the Olympus trip and 35RC etc.
The only things I could criticize on the X20 is AF is dim conditions can be hit and miss and the noise reduction on the Jpegs could be a lot better, but hey,if that bother you, the RAW files are far better to work on then the X10 in LR4.
To conclude for the money the X20 is the best and in some cases the only show in town due to the unique viewfinder, having said that, funds permitting in a few months would probably trade it in for the X100 S,but that is in a different league and price bracket.
With all this in mind, the X20 is very enjoyable to use and a purchase I have no regrets over.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, 21 May 2014
Norm "Norm" (Thames Valley, UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic camera which performs every bit as well as it looks and has demoted my DSLR (at nearly six times the price) into a dusty seldom-visited corner.

The stunning image quality and the great looks (more so if you also get a leather Fuji case) are better than I could have hoped with some great and some unusual features (matching the look of old Fuji film, for instance, amongst other filters which are previewed live on screen) make this my Go-To camera.

The negative comments appear to focus on the zoom range not being great and the lens sticks out quite a way - but you can tell that from the pix and the specs so you should figure that out before purchasing. The lens, in particular,is such solid quality that it makes up for the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 13 May 2014
I wanted a camera more compact than my DSLR as I found I wasn't carrying the big bulky camera around. This makes an excellent compact and portable alternative. Really happy with the performance of this camera, the quality of the pictures is excellent and it is a solid bit of kit. My DSLR doesn't get a look-in these days, even on holiday I used my X20 for all my shooting. Good fast lens in low light; you have to be realistic with your expectations however, this isn't going to compare to a 50mm f1.4 lens on a DSLR. Much better than plasticky, poor quality compacts, much more portable than DSLRs. No hesitation in recommending this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most pleasing compact camera I have ever owned., 12 Nov 2013
I have owned many small, pocketable or travel cameras over the years, but this X20 from Fuji ticks all my boxes. It is made of real metal, not plastic, had a good weight to it, is very pleasingly designed, reminding me of rangefinder cameras of the '50's and '60's that I started my photo career with. The zoom range is adequate, I would have liked a 35mm equivalent of 24mm at the wide end, but hey ho. The tele end is nice for portraits, especially with the special portrait setting in the special effect menu. There are lots of special effects, which I normally ignore, but there are some really useful ones, like the facility to obtain a sharp hand held night shot by combining several frames from an automatic sequence. The viewfinder, while not being as sophisticated as the one in the X100s, is very bright, zooms as the lens zooms, does a good job of parallax compensation and has a digital display of useful data as well - perfect for shooting in bright light when you cant see the screen properly. I cannot recommend this camera highly enough considering the price and the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuji X20, 4 July 2014
Retired pro photographer with both pro grade Film & Digital Cameras, Very Good Cameras but also very heavy for everyday casual use. The Fuji X20 meets all my photographic needs now with excellent build quality couple with excellent results - this camera is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for street photography, 12 April 2014
Fits neatly in my coat pocket. Plenty of creative options & superb quality for a camera of this size & price. Have always been a Canon devotee so was pleasantly surprised at the build quality and functionality of the X20. Great little camera and looks cool too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little camera!, 17 Sep 2013
I ummed and ahhed for ages over what camera to get as a second backup camera to my Nikon dslr, I wanted something smaller that was simpler to carry around all day when out and about on city breaks or walking in the mountains, but could still take a cracking photo. Pleased to say that this little beauty is an excellent choice. The picture quality is fantastic, as good as my Nikon (it is an older Nikon), has enough features, controls and filters on it to satisfy my artistic fiddlings, and it looks great. The optical viewfinder is a great feature on a camera like this, very handy for when bright sunlight makes the LCD screens tricky for composing shots. The only minor irritation is that if you use the camera a lot during the day, you may run out of battery power, but carrying a second battery is easy and cheap enough. Really like this camera, and am using it much more than my dslr at the moment, it's a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic retro camera. But!, 17 Jun 2013
Looks and feels like a top of the range camera from the past with a beautiful digital screen added. Can't praise the build quality of the camera enough. There are endless settings and more realtime information available than on the space shuttle. BUT, and as you can see its a big but, the battery life is appalling. I immediately had to buy a second battery to have with me at all times. You can watch the battery drain like an egg timer on speed. So annoying as it is in many other ways almost a perfect camera. Is a power management firmware update in the offing?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›