5.0 out of 5 stars HS50 EXR. Probably the best camera I have ever owned!
I was a dyed in the wool 35mm SLR owner for years. My preferred choice were Canon bodies, flash guns and lenses. Digital freed me from carrying round a suitcase and, as Fuji were a top film manufacturer, I went with them.

They have gradually got better over the years and the HS50 EXR is their best yet.

I have read other reviews here and wonder...
Published 12 months ago by Dennis & Janet

2.0 out of 5 stars OK If You Adjust Your Expectation Accordingly
Let me start by saying that I returned this camera to Amazon (the first time I’ve ever done that) because ultimately I wasn’t happy with the image quality and handling of it.

I’ll list what I thought were the good things and the bad things about it

Good
1) The image stabilisation is amazing, at 1000mm EFL I could consistently...
Published 5 months ago by Phil UK

5.0 out of 5 stars HS50 EXR. Probably the best camera I have ever owned!, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix HS50 Digital Camera - Black (16 MP, 42x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Camera)

I have read other reviews here and wonder whether they are a review of the camera or a platform for the author to demonstrate their technical knowledge of digital photography. I don't want to hear whether the camera isn't tough enough to be used in a war zone or it does not succeed in competing with 4000-00 worth of digital kit. It's all irrelevant! The cameras strengths are as follows-

1. It takes great pictures in a variety of conditions that are super sharp.
2. It handles like a DSLR so requires no modification of long learned techniques.
3. On auto it allows the user to concentrate on composition of the photo rather than the camera technology.
4. In most instances no post production is required as the camera gets it right first time.
5. It is as easy or as complicated to use as you would like.
6. Check out the 1000mm zoom. Incredible!

In short, if you want a great camera and are not supplying pictures to international advertising agencies, this is the one to get. If you just want to talk about cameras, specs, aberrations, flare, converging verticals and other irrelevant matters, go ahead and see if you can get anything like the same spec for under 4000-00.

This camera is capable of capturing images of a quality that anyone would be proud of!

By the time your have changed the lens on your DSLR I will have got a dozen shots off!

Remember the David Bailey advertisement in the 70's re the Olympus Trip!

It is not the camera but the photographer who makes the great pictures and the camera merely helps. If you don't believe me have a look on the net at some of the great images captured by this camera and you will see what I mean.

And no! I have no connection with Fuji or any manufacturer or retailer.

It's 350 quid. What have you got to lose?

Buy and enjoy.

I have!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a beautiful camera. Full stop!, 7 Jun 2013
I've owned a couple of Fujifilm cameras before this one. I just took to their ease of use and quality images, and have used an S7000 for years until I tired of constantly charging batteries for it. I looked at the HS30 for a long time, and then saw the HS50 in a store and immediately felt at home with the handling and loved the quality feel.

I like bridge cameras because they remove the fuss of carrying lenses and also remove any issue of dust on sensors. The lens on this camera is simply staggering in it's range. The manual action means no drain on the battery, but it can be a little stiff. I think this is newness and it will ease up over time. It's fine in use though.

It's beautifully made - a high quality product. Nice soft feel to the case, good grip and the controls fall into place nicely. Pop out screen is crisp and large, and I like the feature that turns this off when you put the camera to your eye.

Make sure you buy a UV filter when you order (58mm) to protect the fixed lens. I haven't ordered a spare battery yet, but I will. The supplied battery is excellent and I took over 500 shots before it needed recharging.

I love this camera, and would recommend it to anyone. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good camera but a few areas for improvement, 18 Mar 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've been trying out quite a few of the big zoom cameras from various makers, they all have their limitations and quirks, but as an overall package the HS50 is a decent offering from Fuji.
I've come to the following quick fire conclusions having used the HS50 for about a week or so.

Good stuff:
+Build wise it's quite a nice camera fairly solid feeling for a bridge model, the mechanical zoom has a nice feel to it. The plastics used are of decent but not outstanding quality
+ Beefy zoom range 42x giving you 24-1000mm equivalent
+ EVF is quite good (not XS1 quality but waaaay better than the awful Canon SX50 EVF) 0.26-inch 920,000 dots it's very good and unlike some rivals has an eye sensor (to switch between LCD and EVF)
+ AF speed in good light is "fast" to very fast surprisingly so, Fuji are using phase detect AF off the image sensor and it's speedy and with good accuracy
+ Some impressive "burst mode" shooting speeds 16/11/6fps
+ Nice quality fully articulated rear LCD, 3inch 920k dot
+ 1/2-inch EXR CMOS is a bit bigger than rivals (most are using 1/2.3 sensors) The EXR sensor does offer good dynamic range (certainly better than the FZ200)
+ Has raw so you can process your own shots
+ Video mode is quite decent (and in good light with fast AF)
+ Good battery life Fuji quote 500 I got around 450 if not a tad more
+ SD card in seperate slot, you don't have to take it off a tripod to get to the card!
+ Has a hot shoe (not many will use it but could be handy)

Not so great:
- Lens performance drops off at the telephoto range a bit (from about 600mm onwards) it's not really going to deliver the full 16mp crispness some might want, not a show stopper careful processing can help
- Plastic tripod mount...bit surprised by this as the camera isn't super light and the build of the camera in other ways is pretty good (take care with the threads)
- Zoom on the lens is a bit "sticky" not super smooth, not really an issue for stills, might be for video
- 2.5mm microphone jack, why Fuji did this is a mystery when the entire world is using 3.5mm as standard! (you can get an adaptor)
- In lower light the camera uses normal contrast AF so you don't get the benefit of phase detect AF in all situations
- Image quality is pretty good (though it could be better), doesn't quite have that Fuji tonality I've seen on other cameras (X10, XS1 etc)
- Shame the buffer isn't bigger, those crazy fast FPS shooting modes don't last long (get a faster card can help clearing times)
- Multi segment metering a bit prone to overexposure (I'd dial in -0.3 to -0.7 as required)

There are a lot of choices out there for long zoom bridge users, has to be said the HS50 is a good offering overall from Fuji. I have used a few older HS models, this is a bit bigger than previous models and I did like the AA battery option too (I suspect gone to reduce weight) IQ is a bit better than previous models, but not hugely so. Handling is good with a good arrangement of on body controls... including a useful selection for AF mode on the left hand side, as well as a Q menu (quick menu) which brings up a grid of common settings.

Having used EXR Fuji cameras for a while, jpeg shooters might benefit from shooting at 8mp and using the extra dynamic range of DR400 which does a good job holding highlights in harsher lighting. Raw does open things up a bit with processing though and you can get better results esp in lower light levels.

The HS50 stands out for it's good EVF, good LCD and it's a fast speedy camera (ideal for bird shooters) the AF is outstanding in good light (by far the best I've tried on a bridge type camera) and it does a decent job in harsh lighting with the EXR dynamic range. Compared to the SX50, P600 and FZ200 models it's a tricky one to call I'd say the others do have better image quality overall (but not dynamic range). The Fuji is probably the strongest in terms of the complete package though the FZ200 runs it close in some ways (that's a decent EVF too, but handling not so good with electronic zoom and focus) The SX50 has good IQ, but a poor EVF and a not enirely great handling. The Nikon seems sharper to me across the range but lacks raw and has a basic EVF and can't match the AF performance of the Fuji. It's also worth mentioning the XS1's amazing price right now, making your choice even harder.

There are quite a few reviews around with full sized images of all these models so you can see if it's up to your requirement. The HS series is on the right path, a bit more development and it might just get to the top. Right now the price is quite fair and I feel it's a decent camera overall, but consider your options with care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera I've ever owned, 26 April 2014
Manual zoom ring - check
Manual focus ring (if you want to focus manually) - check
DSLR like abilities - check
Quickest AF I've ever seen - check
Adjustable/rotatable Flip out LCD display - check
Takes Full HD video & slo-mo - check
RAW mode ( or even RAW + JPEG mode) - check

There's a lot of Camera for a good price here, well worth it. Makes a good 'one camera does all' alternative to DSLR or if you don't want to carry around a large array of lenses with you.

EVF is pretty good & has dioptre adjust etc
Nice range of Automatic modes and of course PASM if you prefer to take control of your photography.

This is currently one of the best Superzoom Bridge Cameras. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, 15 May 2013
M. Garey "MickG" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
I have owned many cameras spread over 54 years of photography from early 35mm to latest digital and this is the best!
In fully auto mode it can handle any light situation and has no noise in poor light. In manual mode it really is fully manual and is just like using a SLR. The manual zoom is a delight to use a 42x zoom (equivalent to1000mm telephoto on a 35mm camera.) I have used the full zoom, handheld, with out any camera shake problems. Results are crystal clear photos. The manual focus option is operated by turning a ring on the lens like a SLR, lovely to use.
I just love using this camera it out performs my previous camera (Nikon) in every respect. Well done Fugi and we'll done Amazon for great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Technological Advance for Bridge Cameras, 30 Dec 2013
Bh Duggan (UK) - See all my reviews
I have just bought the FinePix HS50 EXR having swapped it for my excellent but 6 year old Konica Minolta A200.
I hate carrying and changing lenses so the bridge cameras are the solution for me, accepting that there is some compromise on ultimate pic quality arising from the smaller sensor.

I was waiting for a camera to have a credible HDR facility, something which my Apple Iphone4S manages with ease!

First impressions of the HS50 are:
Very user friendly - although the menus are fiendishly complex, you can get started right away and find most of the usual things very quickly.
The technology is incredible - it uses a very advanced and unique sensor to make the best of pics taken in impossible conditions eg telephoto hand held at 1000mm length or very low light. It takes multiple picture if necessary and consolidates them in-camera to get the best result.
Excellent viewfinder and rear screen which is fully hinged

Downsides
It is bulky and heavy by bridge camera standards, but this is inevitable with the 24-1000 reach of the lens. The DSLR equivalent would be totally unmanageable!

Sadly the HDR capability, even when set to HDR priority, is nowhere near as good as in the Apple Iphone. Highlights can still get bleached out fairly easily.

Generally though a very good camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Camera, 17 Mar 2014
I upgraded to the HS50exr from my previous FinePix s9600 bridge. It’s not a full DSLR as it has a smaller sensor and a fixed lens. However it has the benefit of acting like a full DSLR by giving manual access to all of the settings that you get with a DSLR. The manual zoom on the barrel also makes it feel like a DSLR and has the benefit of no motor noise while shooting video. The built in functions are amazing and I like the fact that I can shoot in RAW and have the ability to use the built in modes for point and shoot photography. The zoom lens has to be experienced to be believed, get this is if you are new to photography and are unsure if you would want a full DSLR and want to have the option of switching between manual or point and click photography. The image quality is astounding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 12 April 2013
I dont pertain to know much about photography, i am a beginner.

I have recently enrolled in a beginners photography class at my local college and my mum got me into taking pictures in a really big way.

She is pretty talented and encouraged me to see the world in a different way. I started off with her old Fuji S9500 which i just used on the auto settings until it broke recently and so i was looking to replace it with a more serious camera.

I did debate for ages between the HS30EXR and this one and ultimately decided on this one on advice from my mum and hours of google research.
I didn't buy it from here though, but from a local high street retailer, and the reason i did that was because they let me go in there and hold it 1st.

I don't know if that's a newbie thing but i had to hold both cameras in my hand and the minute i held this one i knew it was the one.

Its pretty solid, feels really great when i hold it, its very comfortable and all of the dials and buttons are within easy reach of my fingers.

Now i am not yet clued up with the very vast technical aspects of this camera and have only really used it on the auto settings but i have got some brilliant shots off it, my tutor at college was so impressed with it that he is recommending it to his other beginners because having all that focal length in one camera for the price is an absolute bargain.

I love Macro Photography the most and so i have been using this in a variety of ways, i have taken a few shots of some flowers and i have uploaded them so that you can see the effects i have made, please be gentle, bear in mind that i am new to this, but i just wanted to show other newbie's the kind of effects they too could have and i did it all on the auto settings, obviously with some tweaks, i could get better results but to do that i will need to get a much better understanding of photography in general and the camera and so i am going to buy a book.

Only problem is that they don't have one for this camera, so if anyone can recommend a decent one, that would be great.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best camera to date., 27 Dec 2013
Kindle Customer "JB-Tek-UK" (Weston super Mare, Somerset. England UK.) - See all my reviews
My previous camera was also a Fujifilm Finepix, the S9600 model bridge camera. Fuji had this design right and it would have been difficult for me to replace with something of higher specifications until the HS10, HS20 then I saw the HS50exr. This is the latest of the Fujifilm bridge cameras as I write this. It seems to have taken the World by storm. What other camera with these specifications are going to be this price? Canon? Nikon? Yes wonderful cameras and huge prices too but since the cost of the Fujifilm HS50 camera is more in keeping with a great many pocket/wallet or purse sizes, I don't see how anyone can go wrong to purchase this one. My best suggestion is that anyone thinking of purchasing this model should go and read the specifications, you'll be amazed. My usage with this camera has been a really super experience, the video mode is very good too and I have come to rely on the HS50 as my main camera out of the 25 or so others that lay in my drawer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never had the patience for 35mm / DSLR, 7 April 2014
..but I was going on a big trip for my 50th to South America and the Falklands.

This little camera was light to carry, quick to power up and the zoom lens meant that I could get wildlife shots that were worth looking at and not "snaps"
Down through the Magellan Strait and Beagle Channel, I hung on the back of the boat with all the DSLR guys and their paparazzi sized lens but with this on auto I was getting the shots they missed ( Damn those birds are quick !)
Also, I didnt rate their landscape pictures any better.

Ok , so with a stationary penguin, a tripod and time, the DSLR can get a better shot, and if you read the Birdwatching forums, there are all sorts of tips on getting the best out of this camera with custom settings - I tried them and they were an improvement but at a cost of the speed of focusing. Still not bad on something moving slowly.

Using the burst mode didnt affect the focus speed so it meant that I was able to get the nice wing shape, head looking at the camera, wingtip in water etc shots.

On video the autofocus doesnt handle high speed movement that well, but I understand not many camera's do when the lens is near maximum zoom.

there are settings which are "auto" but manually select for one aspect like shutter speed, so you can take more control - I have tried it and am starting to get a little hooked

Since I came back, I have found more uses for this camera I never expected, using the high speed shutter and macro mode I have captured honey bees in flight from a safe distance.

I have a friend who has all the Canon gear and recently bought a 900 lens in the January sales ... and a new tripod due to the weight.

We went out to photograph Red Kites this weekend ...... and when we compared results he asked if he could borrow my Fuji when he goes on safari next month.

If you shoot movie and take pictures during movie recording as well, the battery takes a bit of a caning so I would recommend a spare.

Also , dont underestimate the size of memory card -- you will find yourself using it more and more.

This camera has opened up photography for me where I used to be just a happy snapper. It is exactly what I wanted, and more, and worth every penny.

Not for the professional or the perfectionist, but for an ordinary mortal to take "nice" pictures and not snaps, It is great.