on 28 November 2014
I have had this camera 3 days. It greatly exceeds expectations. It is well made, has a great lens and superb zoom capability and so far the firmware and general operation seems totally stable. The camera genuinely competes with similar bridge cameras 2 to 3 times the cost. Battery life seems very good. Uses AA batteries of various types, and the supplied alkaline batteries are still going strong after 3 days of 'playing' with the camera .I eventually will use Ni-Mh cells, the camera can be adjusted, per battery type used, to balance up the voltages. The camera fits my hands perfectly, and the controls seem perfectly placed. WARNING THOUGH I was aware of this BEFORE I bought the camera but DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, switch on the camera BEFORE you take off the clip-on lens cap, you risk instantly wrecking the lens transport/zoom drive. This is a MAJOR technical design error and I hope FUJI are fair and reasonable with the warranty claims that ensue because, in a sense, THEY are at fault- ( a small mention in the online and cd instructions is just not enough) and apart from the lack of a filter screw on the front of the lens, which is ridiculous, the camera is still basically well designed. I have sourced a 60mm PUSH ON rubber lens cap instead, which hopefully would be pushed off the outer lens grip by the moving lens without overstressing the lens drive, should I be 'silly' enough to turn the camera on without thinking 1st. It is possible to source various filter adapters for this camera, but they will cost between £12 to £30 approx., Overall I still fully recommend this camera .
on 1 May 2013
Agree about the manual, especially as there are so many functions and options on the camera. Overall a great piece of kit. I'm still learning it, but it's taking some great pictures. I've not tried competitive products, but would recommend this based on my experience.
...Adding this after some experience having had the camera for 6 months: still very happy with the pictures, but one criticism would be lack of manual focus, as the auto focus can be confused - e.g. when shooting though glass.
on 16 June 2013
The flash stopped working on my Finepix S1800 before a planned holiday. I was of two minds whether to go for another Finepix but the S4800 offered a much better specification so I decided to risk it. The S4800 is much more user friendly in navigating the desired settings for taking photos and they appear to have overcome the motor noise that could be heard when zooming when taking movies with the S1800. The lens cover is much improved and only comes off when you want it to. 30x zoom is wonderful but of course does require a tripod. (They have added a 2 second self timer additional to the normal 10 second one so that you are not touching the camera when it is shooting on a tripod at high zoom). I have been very pleased with the results achieved so far. My unhappiness centres around the supporting documentation: The quick start guide is too basic to be anything but that and the full guide that must be downloaded is difficult to format and print into a booklet that would be easily packed into a camera case for reference when needed. Most disappointing was the absence of the AE BKT in the Continuous Shooting mode that is supposed to take three shots, one at at metered value, a second over exposed and a third under exposed. I found this feature very useful on the S1800 and although it is supposed to be present on the S4800 it does not appear on the Continuous Shooting menue. I will take this query up with Fujifilm when I have time.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 October 2014
At this price don't get too excited with what's on offer, but it's quite well priced and takes acceptable images for the outlay.
For me I think the biggest gripe is the lack of viewfinder, for a longer optical zoom camera I think that's a mistake

Granted the viewfinders are pretty poor on budget models, still it does help you hold the camera steady and is useful in harsher lighting.

In the box you get:
4xAA type alkaline batteries
Shoulder strap
USB cable
User Manual (just a basic one)
Lens cap and Lens cap cord
CD-ROM

A quick summary of the good and bad points

+ Good value, bang per buck it's not a bad way to get a longer zoom bridge model
+ Useful range 30x zoom lens covering 24-720mm (equivalent in 35mm terms)
+ Good battery life (with decent quality Ni-MH AA's) around 500 if not a bit more
+ Video is "ok" at 1280x720 720p (I don't expect full HD at this price) quality wasn't bad either mono sound though. You can zoom while filming
+ Well balanced flash exposures (fuji are usually good here)
+ Fairly pleasing exposures and colours (white balance can be a little cool in some lighting)
+ Decent macro mode
+ Has sensor shift IS (works ok maybe 2.5-3 stops)

Cons:
- No viewfinder (doesn't help trying to hold a 30x zoom steady!)
- Not the sharpest lens, it's not bad across the range but struggles a bit 24mm end in the corners
- Image quality suffers in lower light and at higher ISO levelsl (I'd stick to ISO 400 or lower, 800 is pushing it a bit)
- Standard 16mp CCD sensor, not your better EXR sensor from Fuji, it's ok but doesn't have the dynamic range or lower light performance. I would set the camera to shoot 8mp images (half size) you won't get anything extra out of the 16mp setting
- Slow cont shooting at full resolution (just 1.2fps, there are higher speeds at smaller image sizes though)

It's reasonably well featured and the build is acceptable for the cost, you get the normal PASM modes, the extra modes like SR Auto (scene recognition) panoramic mode, scene modes like beach and baby, portriats, and the 3.0 inch 230k dot LCD screen is usuable if unspectacular. Visibility is quite good but in harsh light it can be a problem (that's where the viewfinder would come in handy)

Image wise it's a not bad camera in this price range, but nothing amazing either (but then nothing is at this price point!) If you want an inexpensive bridge type zoom that takes ok photos and is fairly well featured and with the convenience of AA batteries it's not a bad option.
It might be worth looking at the S8200 which has a bigger zoom range, a viewfinder and nicer LCD if those extras are on your want list (costs about £50 more). The image quality isn't ideal for bigger enlargements (you'll get ok A4's just don't expect poster prints despite the 16mp spec), but it's adequate for many users.
on 1 July 2014
I have had this camera for a few days now and have taken photos, printed them out and was very happy with the results. I have only had two photos that were blurred one was my fault but the second one was when I was using it as a point and shoot in auto mode, I put it in timer mode to take a group shot and that came out really blurred for some reason, it just did not focus. I have used it a number of times on timer and have been very impressed so that was just a one off.

There is no viewfinder on this camera which is a shame as I do think that they still have a place in digital cameras, lcd screens are good but not always ideal. However it does cope with bright light ok. I tried using it in direct sunlight which was fairly strong and was still able to see what was been displayed on screen.

You have a choice of it been a point and shoot camera or you can manually set various things such as exposer, white balance, ISO and so on. It also has a very respectable optical zoom as well as a digital zoom. The digital zoom is switched off by default but you can easily change this and then it gives a total zoom of 216x. I must admit that I have not tried taking a photo zoomed in to the full 216 though. Personally I think that would probably turn out awful. As digital is nowhere near as good as optical zoom. I have taken a couple of photos at full optical zoom which is 30x and it delivered good results.

It is a very responsive camera and has a slide on/off button on the camera. Remembering to take the lens cap off before switching on it is ready to take a photo in around 1 second of sliding the power on button to actually powering up and been ready to capture a shot. What I particually like is the fact that it uses AA batteries! That was a big thing for me. I very nearly purchased a Cannon Camera but then realised that it used a proprietary battery. I don't like those batteries personally because I find they cost a lot more when they need replacing or buying a spare. The battery for the Cannon camera I nearly purchased would have cost me around the £40 mark, if I had wanted to buy an original battery as a spare depending on where it was purchased from. Yet I got a full set of 4 good high power rechargeable AA batteries for S4800 for just £8 including delivery. Not only are AA batteries cheaper they are also more widely available.

I don't think the wheel on the top of the camera that selects the different programs is that self explanatory but if you look at the screen it will tell you would you have selected and what it does. You can however turn this information off if you wanted to.

Personally I am pleased with my purchase, and have no regrets about buying it. This is a good camera that not only looks and feels good but also delivers on performance at a very decent price.
on 4 November 2013
So much built into this camera and simple to use. The lens is top class for sharpness and the picture quality is outstanding. Wish it had been around when I was doing press photography!
on 3 September 2013
Very good product. This camera has proved ideal for our use. it is relatively simple to use and performs beautifully.
on 21 June 2013
There were no english instructions included. However pleased with the results so far have been good but having the instructions would have enhanced usage. As it is not being used to its full potential.
on 25 April 2013
Great product. Pity they don't print the instruction book in English rather than the three languages supplied. This would save having to print circa 150 pages from the disc
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2016
I took this camera on Safari and was delighted with the quality. Very easy to use and I have now subsequently taken a camera course to further my interest! Buy a stick tripod as well to ensure crisp photos when zooming!