I am a Canon fan anyway, so maybe a little biased. I bought this camera because I was attracted to the features, the WiFi upload functionality but particularly the price. It is very good value for a Canon product.

Published 14 months ago by Bryno de Rhyno

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera
I wanted a cheap camera for my holidays.
Bought at discount during Black Friday deal before Christmas.
Only thing I am unhappy about is when taking a picture and you press the button, you have to hold the button for about 3 seconds before it takes the picture.
My 4 year old girl had trouble taking pictures because of this.
Published 9 months ago by Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value from Canon but the WiFi feature can be very difficult to get working, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot A3500 IS Digital Camera - Silver (16 MP, 28mm Wide Angle, 5x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Camera)

I have had compact cameras from the IXUS range previously and could not fault them. The Powershot range seems to be a more economical range than the Ixus.

What strikes you first about the Powershot A3500 IS is it's weight. It is very light and while this might seem like an advantage on the one hand, in fact it is in fact a little disconcerting when you have already owned an IXUS which is generally heavier and therefore gives you the impression of being more robust. The Powershot body is mainly plastic, with the front panel possibly metalised. This is my one concern about the camera - it may be more fragile than it's IXUS cousin. But that remains to be seen.

Features on the camera are the same as IXUS, and if you are already a Canon user then navigating around the settings is very simple. If you are new to Canon, don't worry, it is not a difficult one to use and the AUTO function is also available for first time users allowing them to begin taking photos as soon as the camera is out of the box and the battery charged.

Why I did not give this Powershot 5 stars is because one of the features that prompted me to buy the camera - the WiFi feature is not working for me despite contacting Canon Customer support a few times by email. This feature is supposed to allow you to upload your photos from the camera to your computer wirelessly. This would be an extremely handy feature if I could get it to work. I got it working with a 6 year old Desktop computer, but cannot get it working on my one year old Windows 7, Toshiba Laptop. Unfortunately this is the computer that I want the feature working with. The feature instructions in the manual (online manual) are not very clear, and the Canon Customer Support seemed to know what the problem was but when I followed their instructions I could still not get the feature working. The issues seems to be that you may need to make changes to your Internet and Firewall settings, and lets face it, how many Digital Camera users are comfortable with tweaking those?

It looks like I will just have to upload photos now using the supplied USB cable.That was the most disappointing aspect of my purchase.

The camera comes with battery, battery charger, Carry strap, very basic startup manual, CD - with software but no detailed User Guide.
The User guide can be downloaded from the Canon website and it is very comprehensive.

Overall I am pleased with the purchase, but missing the WiFi feature very much.

I will read other reviews more carefully before purchasing any digital cameras in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says it will do!!, 5 Dec 2013
Very pleased! Only had it a month and it is taking some very good photos. Would recommend this camera for all those photos you put in your albums!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!!!, 29 Sep 2013
I have just come back from 2 weeks holiday and have taken over 100 pictures with it and all are really good quality. The zoom function is really good as it does not lose any of the quality and sharpness with the pictures. It also copes really well with moving objects. Very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon powershot, 30 Dec 2013
Great pictures, easy to use and fits in a pocket or handbag, would recommend to anyone that is a novice with a camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 4 Jun 2013
Excellent camera which will fit in your pocket yet give super sharp pictures even on full zoom Needs more info in operation manual

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely camera, but a little lacking on instructions, 14 Jan 2014
I bought the Canon Powershot A3500 in the Boxing Day sale and on the whole I'm pleased with it so far. Great value for money, aesthetically pleasing and most of the features are easy to use/work out how to use (I said most. I'll come back to that in a minute). I like that the screen is a lot larger than on my old camera, that the photos can flip when you turn the camera, and that the photos seem to be of great quality- I'm not an expert though, I can only compare to one 8 and a half year old digital camera, but as far as I can tell it seems good, especially for a "point and shoot" (budget) camera.
The reason I chose this camera was for the potential connectivity to WiFi, and especially to Facebook/emailing. I could see this being a very useful feature for when I was away from home/on holiday and wanting to promptly back up my photos online. Boy, did I have to jump through some hoops to work out how it was done! Even with the help of a (clever) friend, we were stumped as to why I couldn't get it set up. Turns out that we had managed to mostly work out how it was done:
*You will need to use the program "Camerawindow" that comes with the CD-ROM.
*Connect your camera, then go to "Camera settings" then "Set up web services", whereupon it should (after downloading the "SSL certificate") take you to a page where you can put the various functions, such as Facebook, onto your camera.
I say "should" because the first few times I tried it there was an error that told me it "failed to download the SSL certificate" (apparently this is important) and this was the point it stumped us both. Fortunately, when I tried it the next day, it worked, and I haven't had any problems since. I have no idea why it didn't before, but just one of those things I guess. And now I've worked out how to enable Facebook/email uploading it works brilliantly.
I should probably also point out that the CD-ROM states that WiFi upload to the computer only works for Windows 7 and 8, not Vista, XP, etc. A computer isn't necessary for the aforementioned Facebook or email connection, and this wasn't really an issue for me but I thought I should mention it nonetheless. To be honest, I think most people will be fine with just using the provided USB cable for computer uploads.
Anyway, to conclude, great camera but it would've been nice for the instructions to have been more comprehensive, especially in regards to setting up the WiFi. The rest I could've probably figured out by myself. It didn't seem particularly easy to find the online manual to find out how to do this, and even then there was still a bit of a kerfuffle. Probably would've given it five stars but had to knock one off for all that.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 27 May 2013
I was finding my last Canon a bit out of date, and I just wish I'd bought this one sooner. It's light-weight, very neat, and easy to use; I especially like the simple record button. Great HD quality photos, ~ which have been commented on by my friends!
I've only had this camera for two weeks, and have really enjoyed using it......
Only grumble.....I couldn't find a case I liked online, but the one I bought in Tesco fits perfectly, and has a neat magnetic 'lid'.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more wobbly pictures!, 2 Feb 2014
I bought this, as I take loads of pictures, but have now reached an age where I need image stabilising. This was at just the right price at the right time and I've found it quite easy to use and to navigate the menu's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks very good, 27 Dec 2013
The only fault I can find with it so far is I do not want all the information shown on the screen. I have looked in the guide and down the menu but I can't see how to hide it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot A3500., 14 April 2013
Great Camera- Took a while to work out the wifi download.
Like the different features.
Larger screen gives great clarity.