Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 21 April 2012
The last few albums from Anathema have been superb with the most recent - 'We're here because we're here' and 'Falling Deeper' being outstanding, but the band have surpassed even those high standards with this new album - 'Weather Systems'. This new CD really does just take the breath away by creating an emotional roller coaster ride which manages to be sad, moving, uplifting and thought provoking throughout. Listen to the opening two tracks - 'Untouchable parts 1 & 2' and I defy any music lover to hear these amazing songs and not have their emotions running on overload. So many people will be able to relate to those words and be truly touched by the incredible and moving lyrics & music.
The CD keeps the stakes high with a series of powerful and highly accomplished songs. As a music lover in my fifties with so many great albums and musical memories, I can honestly say that this CD ranks up there with the best. Challenge your emotions and awake the senses and buy the CD. Great music and truly exceptional and head and shoulders above so much else out there.
on 19 April 2012
This is the first time I have ever done an Amazon review but there are few albums which have stopped me in my tracks like this in nearly half a century. The last one was We're here because we're here - Anathema, the next one, which has absolutely had me goosebumps and almost in tears as it is just stunning, on a level which only certain tracks by Floyd and classical evocative masterpieces, such as the Vaughan William's Lark Ascending, and Faure's requiem have done, is the new Weather Systems.

Anathema need air time, and the long overdue recognition and success for their talents and this a masterpiece (in my opinion) album. A mature and stunning piece of composition and musical execution on a level I have not heard in years - I lost time to the most amazing music and I am not sad I did it was just incredible. Where We're Here Because We're Here began, Weather Systems has built on and delivers on so many levels musically and emotionally - fantastic
on 20 April 2012
This band just gets better and better and this album will not only please existing fans, but will surely expose a lot of new fans to their music. I detect influences of Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree in places (e.g. 'Internal Landscapes'), but the songs are all their own work. The two-part opener 'Untouchable' is superb and drifts from clever acoustic guitar, through pounding rock, and into exquisite balladry. I loved 'The Gathering Of The Clouds', as well as the fantastic 'The Beginning And The End'. This is first class music, beautifully played - highly recommended.
on 6 June 2012
I have heard of Anathema before now but never listened to them. Now I wonder .. what have I been missing? This album took my breath away from the very first listen. If you like thoughtful, melodic and, at times, arresting rock music, you should like this.
Untouchable Part 2 (the second track)is just one of the most haunting themes I have heard in many a year- and I have a lot of years to call on I can assure you.
So impressed am i, I have just bought the whole back catalogue !!
Let's hope this band gets the success they deserve..and the opportunity to make a whole lot more records like this !!
on 16 April 2012
After the re-workings of older songs, it was good to hear a new Album from Anathema. this takes me back to "A natural Disaster" and "a Fine day to Exit". This is a great CD with no weak tracks at all. People often say " Pink Floyd-ish", but its so much more. My best purchase in many a month. Power, Grace, passion it's got the lot. nothing less than Brilliant, i want to give a sixth star.
on 18 April 2012
At last Anathemas new album out on general sale, and its a great combination of classic and rock music. The first 2 tracks will have emotions running high in you and the whole feel of the album is refreshing. The vocals are amazing and the guitar works really well with the violins. If you have not heard of Anathema before, buy this album and fall in love with these brilliant musicians.
on 18 November 2012
So many things I love about this band:

* Great, emotive vocals (male and female)
* Strong melodies
* Excellent musicians - but not indulgent. Songs are allowed to breath and develop (often into a winning climax)
* They seem to have a song appropriate to any mood - angry, sad, reflective, scared, defiant...

I much prefer this version of the band to the earlier doom/death metal. Some great songs including the opener Untouchables part one - a well constructed song with stong vocals, that goes from an acoustic start to a rushed sounding end. Great song but even better for me is the fantastic "Lightning Song" - the female vocals of Lee Douglas are a pure delight - one of my favourite songs of 2012. A lovely vocal turns into a full blown cacophony of sound. They know how to push the old emotion buttons.

There is the epic 9-Minute + "The storm before the calm" that moves though a range of tempos before a harrowing finish. "The Lost Child" starts off peacefully enough before another one of their intense build ups. The singer emploring someone to "save me save me" - repeatedly - with a cresendo in the background. The last track "Internal Landscapes" offers some sort of peace - though near the end a male vocal asks "what's up?". Nothing - apart from being mentally exhausted!

2012 has been a great year for music - Big Big Train, Echolyn, Marillion, Crippled Black Phoenix - this is up there with the very best and, for me, just surpasses their previous excellent release "We're here because we're here". I have half-a-dozen bands that are auto-purchases - this is one of them. Strongly recommended!
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2013
I am a late convert to Anathema (about 6 albums ago) but they just seem to get better and better. 'We're Here Because We're Here' is a superb album and yet within 2 years they produce something which takes their music to new heights. It is an album that I can never listen to once - I always have to repeat listen and even then I will often listen to something as beautiful as 'Untouchable Pt2' 3 or 4 times.'The Storm Before the Calm'is another track of brilliance but it is actually difficult to criticise any track as the whole album gels so perfectly.

As many other reviewers have stated, I cannot believe that this band are not world famous. I can only recommend that if you are someone thinking about buying an 'Anathema' album then give this stunning album a go; but be warned, it could cost you a lot of money as I am sure you will want to buy the rest as well!.
on 18 April 2012
The quality of Weather Systems is apparent from the opening acoustic guitar notes of Untouchable part 1 and run through almost an hour to the atmospheric end of Internal Landscapes.
Weather Systems is a natural progression from We're Here Because We're Here, the same mix of grace, atmosphere and beauty. The vocal splendour of Lee Douglas is prominent again and gives Anathema a very fresh, haunting feel, songs that make you feel and wonder.
This is an album you can really lose yourself in, sit back, read the lyrics and let the music wash over you. It really is that good.
I don't really want to mention individual tracks on the album for fear of diminishing the others but The Storm Before The Calm has the feel of the Judgement album to me, to date my favourite Anathema album and The Beginning And The End is fantastic.
I also like the sentiments of the closing track and Internal Landscapes feels like a very beautiful extension to Presence from the last album.
on 22 April 2012
I've deliberately waited a few days before reviewing this. I'd read a lot of the stuff going round pre-release, about how emtional the album was, how the band felt at the height of its creative powers, etc. Well, it is emotional, and the band is at its heights. This is, put simply, a stunning album.

The track by track thing isn't for me. This is very much an album, a single concept with a theme running through it. With each listen, it continues to release its secrets and gems. The shades of darkness and light between Vince and Lees' voices is excellent, and they combine well, too. The production is sheer quality, with every aspect of the instruments and voices allowed the space to breathe and no individual element suffering at the expense of another.

I guess my main complement to the band is that I (like many others, I imagine) used to like them because they sounded like Pink Floyd. Now, I love them because they sound like Anathema. One of the UK's best bands by a country mile and it's a pity that the download generation will no doubt miss this opportunity to savour where music can take you.

I defy anyone to listen to 'Internal Landscapes' and not feel something.