4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for what you get, but not that robust
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Study the Form
Published 22 months ago by Ian K

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for what you get, but not that robust, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sony CX220 Full HD-Camcorder (27 Optical Zoom) Black (Electronics)
I'm a professional video producer (former BBC & ITV so I know what I'm talking about!) I'm about to film a lot of material in cars and needed a few lightweight cameras to stick on the windscreen using suction mounts to capture driver and passenger which would sync in edit with the audio recorded from my main camera in the back seat. I was about to buy a few GoPro cameras but the Sony CX220 looked to be less fiddly and have better battery and monitor capability so bought this. Amazing! It's very lightweight so puts no strain on the suction mount, the monitor is pin sharp and the camera has a "wobble & vibration" reduction system, electronic, not as good as an optical system, but it works for what I want it for. The CX220 is actually a cut down version of my professional Sony NX-30 camera which costs £1,600! The picture quality is comparable, and it's full progressive as well...astonishing for the price...you have exactly the same menu system and you have manual overrides for exposure, white balance etc, you don't get any sound input at all so you have to live with the poor internal microphones, but I'm only using the audio to sync with my main camera sound so it's fine for me. Amazing value, but only 4 stars as the build quality is really flimsy; cheap plastics and it's shame they skimped. For a family throwing this around on holiday. the side screen will surely soon snap, and the SD card flap underneath is very delicate, and can see this being needed to be gaffer taped up soon! The previous model was better built, but it is heavier and the lens is not quite so wide angle. Hope this is useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Study the Form, 28 April 2013
Having used a sony handy-cam Hi-8 with manual controls for many years, this small new camcorder is like some kind of toy but produces excellent video. I am still getting to grips with it and it needs a bit more time and patience to set up before each shoot. Only suitable for small hands I guess because of its size. Slightly difficult to set up because you have to toggle your way threw the menus to your settings, unless you simply want to point and shoot and let the camera do the work for you. Manual focus for different locations I am still looking and working at,and at present not to happy but hope to improve.
You need extras after you buy this camera like a memory card, look carefully at what you might need.Sony have been very tight at what they have put in the box.Shame on you.
Overall it provides full HD 50p and 50i as well standard definition so should meet everyone's needs although at present I have made discs at 50i becouse you need a blu- ray recorder for the 50p and a very top spec computer.
OK, yea I am learning. Buy this, the video and pics are brill but study the form if you want even more out of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Little improvement on the CX190, 19 April 2013
Mr. M. A. Quinn (MANCHESTER) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned the CX190 for about a year now, its the predecessor for the CX220 and therefore I was expecting lots of improvements.

There are two improvement:
1) Better MP count for the stills - this is a welcomed change as the stills on the CX190 were awful, but then you wont really be using this for stills especially when filming at 1080 as it cant do both at the same time.
2) Wider angle - again a welcomed improvement for shots in a small room of the kids.

There are many things that are worse though:
1) Build quality is much worse, it feels cheaper, more plasticy, less silver trim so it looks cheaper as well.
2) Noise when zooming and auto focus seeking, its not that loud but its there and its annoying.

Things that haven't changed that should have been:
1) Sony's editing software is dog poo on Windows, I cant edit at all, the M2TS file format is very widely accepted for playback but for editing there is little out there aside from pro apps that I can use to edit. If I had a Mac I would be OK with iMovie. Come on Sony, give us a copy of Vegas lite!
2) Battery life, still pretty low, less than hour on full charge.

Overall for the price I would give this a miss, yes its small and it makes some nice looking content in decent light but I would either spend more or wait for the tech to offer something better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony CX220 Full HD Handycam, 28 Mar. 2013
Matt (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This camera is a newer model of the Sony Handycam CX190 Full HD Camcorder - Black (5.3MP, 25x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD which I have been using for about nine months now.

The first thing I will address is the lack of an AC charger. As people have quite rightly pointed out, this is ridiculous. One came bundled with the CX190 and if you go for a much higher spec such as the CX410 you get one with that, too. What's worse is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious place to actually buy one. You can, however, buy a generic charger that the battery can be plugged into to charge it. You can charge the camera using the USB cable but this is very time consuming, especially if you shell out for a higher capacity battery such as the Sony NP-FV100 Extra High Capacity Handycam Battery. I am only knocking one star off for the lack of a charger. It is a major blunder on Sony's behalf but I'm reviewing the performance of the camera overall, not just the lack of accessories.

Unfortunately this camera also loses a star for the audio quality. There is a very slight, rapid clicking sound that is always present as long as the camera is on and this is picked up by the microphone when recording. I have e-mailed Sony about this to find out what the problem is and in their reply they said that it is caused by the auto-focus which appears to be correct. Switching the camera to manual focus eliminates the noise. The problem then is that if you try to film something too close to the lens, it will instantly blur. You can actually get pretty close to objects and still see them sharply, the focus is more effected when trying to zoom in closely. You can manually adjust the focus (the settings being either 0.1m, 0.3m and infinity) in the menu but this isn't really a practical solution during filming. An extra control similar to the zoom button would have been useful to combat this. What's strange is that the CX190, an earlier model of this camera, doesn't suffer from the same problem.

The camera also suffers from a similar (but slower) clicking when zooming in or out but I was expecting this as the previous model did it too. If yuo are using auto-focus, the zooming clicking does cancel out the regular background clicking but that's hardly any consolation. Even with the microphone level set to low (there are only two settings, regular and low) it is still there.

Onto the good points. While the camera does have many options you can tinker with when browsing the menus, it is still fairly idiot proof and very easy to use out of the box. Just charge the battery, pop in a memory card and start recording. I don't consider the lack of internal memory or a bundled SD card to be a problem as other people have mentioned. Most still cameras don't have this and pre-digital cameras had no equivalent either. The only thing worth noting is that when you buy an SD card, make sure it is class 6 or higher or it may struggle to cope with the speed of recording HD video.

One nifty function of the camera is the ability to take still photos either during video recording or as a separate function. I don't think the quality of the photos is truly 8.9MP as I had an 8MP DSLR camera eight years ago and if you went by numbers alone, the CX220 should be better but when viewing pictures full size on a computer they appear slightly grainy. When shrunk down so they fit the screen the quality is fine and the quality doesn't bother me anyway as this is more of a bonus rather than a primary function of the camera.

As with all cameras in this range, there is a small built in USB cable in the hand strap that can be used to plug directly into a computer to transfer videos and photos across. From the camera body to the end of the USB plug, it is less than 8cm and the shortness can be an issue but cable extenders are available on sites such as eBay and are usually very cheap. I plug the camera into my laptop and can manage as it is.

Apart from the megapixel upgrade the camera received (now 8.9MP from the CX190's 5.3MP), the camera also boasts a wider angle lens which is certainly a welcome treat. With the CX190 I always felt I was too close to a subject and had to move away further than I thought would be necessary but this problem has now been addressed.

The build quality does feel slightly on the cheap side, the camera feels very light and fragile. I thought the same when I originally received the CX190 but I got used to that. The CX220 feels to me more fragile still but as long as it does actually hold together I don't have too much of a problem with it.

Overall I'm quite disappointed with this camera (I think if I had the choice I would give it 2.5 stars). I thought it would be a nice step up from the CX190 but the noise made by the auto-focus is a big negative for me. I'm tempted to keep using my older camera and keep the CX220 as a spare and originally I thought it would be the other way around.

If you're after a budget camera and the noise (it is quite quiet) doesn't bother you then this is probably a good choice but if there are other cameras out there in this price bracket with better reviews than I would take a close look at those instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Well, 16 May 2013
Mike Nelson "IM35461" (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was lucky enough to get two different models to review.

This is the lesser model and the only feature missing of significance is the optical steadyshot and maybe the mains charger.

In the box you get...

1. Operating guide (in English only) covering four UK PAL models and four USA NTSC models.
2. European warranty details.
3. Registration guide.
4. The camera CX220
5. Battery NP-FV30
6. Male-Female USB Cable (to extend short USB cable which fits in the camera handle)
7. Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable to link camera to your TV.

This model does does not come with a mains charger but it can be charged via your computer USB 2.0 port (camera in standby mode, not downloading) or via a reputable USB charger.

The camera is lightweight, easy to hold in right hand, the non touch screen viewfinder screen is clear and the menus are fairly easy to navigate with a four way joystick control with push to select.

Like all the other models it uses Sony's playmemories software and the camera has a small amount of internal memory which when linked to your computer mounts as a drive letter. This has links on it to install the software from their website (I use windows but there also appears to be mac support).

Again, I fitted my camera with a 32Gb SDHC Class 10 memory card which just slots in underneath the camera.

Zoom is smooth and the camera does a good job of recording the audio with no noticeable camera noise.

It does not come with a carrying case but the Sony Ultra Compact Case for Handycam - Black does the job (a dedicated one, Sony code LCS-BBJ does exist but only on the Sony website.

Bad points (all minor)
Manual lens cover (still at least it wont go wrong)
Takes a little while to save a 8.9 Megapixel still as the sensor (as with the other basic models) is only 2 Megapixels so I think what it does is takes more than one picture and merges them into one.
Comes with a male to female USB cable typically needed to connect to it your PC as the inbuilt USB lead in the camera is quite short.
No mains charger Sony ACL200 AC Adaptor w/DK-225 Infolithium F/P/A but assuming you have a USB charger or a computer with you one is not needed.

You will need also to buy a suitable memory card.

I should also note that for all you Apple MAC fans that on the box it says "Works with iMovie"

1.0 out of 5 stars WOT !!! No Charger, 20 Feb. 2013
This item which according to Amazon website would appear to be an updated version of the Sony CX190 which I had originally researched and intended to buy. I was forewarned that it was supplied without any storage (SD card) but I didn't expect it to come without a battery charger. What this means is that you have to lug a laptop with you when you go out in order to charge camera through the usb cable. Laptops are not really designed to do this and it is borne out by the fact it takes an age to charge the battery this way. This is cost cutting by Sony to an absurdity, how much extra would it have cost them to provide a charger.
Many of the criticisms about build quality of the earlier models is still relevant. I am not confident about the longevity, it is very cheap and flimsily built in lightweight plastic. Of particular concern is the flap located underneath the camera housing the SD card. I am fearful that it will easily give up and deposit £50.00 worth of storage on the ground and get lost.

The software which has to be downloaded from Sony is only available for Windows computers. If you have a Mac you need to use the excellent iMovie included with your Mac. To summarise,this product is not for serious movie makers and time will tell how long the product lasts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither fish nor flesh, 27 Oct. 2013
What I really can't understand is why its picture made by 1/5.8 sensor is worse than that by mobile phone whose sensor is much smaller. I didn't expect quality of DCLR but...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little Camera, 15 Aug. 2013
Quality is as stated 720p however it is a great little handheld and does the job well. The battery lasts quite long and the auto focusing is brilliant for those who don't like manual focus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money and suites my purpose of recording badminton, 30 Jan. 2014
Mika Paavola (Espoo, Finland) - See all my reviews
I bought this for recording badminton matches and trainings. The challenge doing that is that often you need to be very close to the court and you really need to have wide angle objective. Another challenge is that sport halls are pretty often quite dim so you need good lens.

I'm happy the way Sony CX220 performs in these two aspects. Great value for the money

5.0 out of 5 stars xmas present, 14 Jan. 2014
This item was brought as a Christmas present, item was a s described , very very happy with purchase. well worth the money

Sony CX220 Full HD-Camcorder (27 Optical Zoom) Black