4.0 out of 5 stars Great PC, if only it didn't keep losing internet connection.
Bought this laptop for its generally good spec of CPU / RAM / HDD / Price etc.
Performs very well in general, but loses internet connection several times per day.
I've performed a troubleshoot many times now, always reporting the same fault (network adaptor not sent to automatically connect).
Thing is, I quite specifically set it to automatically connect to...
Published 15 months ago by Gosser

This Acer looks great- slim and elegant. i3 processor seems to be adequate for what I want. Windows 8 does take a bit of getting used to but certainly integrates well with the touchscreen. Wasn't sure about the touchscreen beforehand but based on ipad experience I chose it and am so glad I did - my wireless mouse is redundant!
The reason for only three stars is bad...
Published 17 months ago by Stoney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great PC, if only it didn't keep losing internet connection., 23 May 2013
Bought this laptop for its generally good spec of CPU / RAM / HDD / Price etc.
Thing is, I quite specifically set it to automatically connect to my BT Broadband.
I'm running 2 other PCs in the house, with no connection problem at all.
I'm still looking at the PC settings, and would be happy to upgrade my overall rating if I can sort this out...

UPDATE 04 JUNE 13: Downloaded Atheros network adaptor driver version 10.0.0.225 from the website below and it seems to have worked. I had to download it to a directory of its own, and extract it from the zipped format. Inside the extracted file there was a "setup" instruction. I just double-clicked that, and it loaded the new driver into my PC. The PC then had to be re-booted to activate the change. I've now upgraded my rating to 4 stars :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product if only Internet connection worked - part two, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-571P 15.6-inch Touchscreen Laptop (Silver) (Intel Core i3 2365, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
The reason for only three stars is bad experience with the Internet connection which persistently cut out, despite other machines working ok on the same link. Now waiting replacement from Amazon.
Big plus point for Amazon- I ordered laptop on next day delivery and they are providing the same service for the replacement.
UPDATE Second one worked great for 4 days then died! Returned for refund. Never again will I choose an acer.

4.0 out of 5 stars wifi issues, 15 May 2013
R. Mayne (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a Lenovo and had to send it back because of poor wifi. I decided to be really careful and spent a day looking at laptops in my price range. I finally got it down to about 3 and this was one. Not many reviews and I was concerned about the wifi but it seemed fixable and the best bet. I already had an ACER with excellent wifi, from 2 years ago, so it couldn't be that bad right?

We got it yesterday and it looks great, very nice design and despite windows 8 everything was fine. After 30 mins the Wifi dropped but not to fear because we just changed the power saving settings and it was all fine. Now today we have wifi problems again! We're trying to download a new driver from acer, it is painfully slow. I don't mean just a little laggy or slow. I mean it's telling me a 216mb file is going to take 1hr 20 mins. and the ironic part is that it didn't even start downloading yet....still 0%. at the same time the ACER live updater is downloading about 1% every 10 minutes....this is utter junk!

ACER, the first computer I bought from you broke after just 1 year. My GF loves your computers so she decided we get this one. If you're reading this, remember your reputation is more important than any advertising. You've disappointed me greatly and if this computer doesn't start working soon, it's going back to amazon...and what's more, I'll NEVER buy your stuff again. Sort your act out acer.

EDIT***********************************************

Well, after switching some of the power saving options and downloading a new wifi driver we have had no problems. I'm not sure who is to blame to be honest, I'm beginning to think that windows 8 itself may have caused these problems. ACERs incredibly slow website meant we had to download the drivers on a different computer but as I say, things are fine now so I've changed my rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit!, 29 Aug 2013
Jeff (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Beautiful build quality and a very crisp display. Lovely touch to the keyboard - very fast and responsive. One of the best buys I've made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, 22 Jun 2013
I bought one of these and received it yesterday as a replacement for my old HP. Having spent s on the old one it was cheaper to buy a new one. I settled for the Aspire. I was a bit daunted on how I would get on with it, reading how people thought it was confusing with all the apps and tiles to go through. Anyway after having it for 24 hours I've mastered it and find it really good. In fact I love the thing to bits. I'm glad I chose this model, as I spent weeks wondering which make and model to choose. I'm glad I chose this one. But believe me I got it for a lot cheaper than advertised here. Bought it Thursday and received it yesterday - only 24 hrs after ordering it. Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, 12 May 2013
Fantastic laptop.Windows 8 takes some getting use to but is relatively ease to use . touchscreen good as well. would definetely recommend it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with my bargain purchase!!, 15 Aug 2013
Great laptop, the touch screen is a good size to learn Windows 8, with the touch screen you can really appreciate the features of Windows 8. It is not the lightest but it is well built. Although it is a warehouse repacked item which does not come with user manual and guide which are not really required. However, the package did not arrive with a indispensable LAN/VGA adaptor, a quick call to customer service quickly fixed that. The team was very efficient!! I have bought from Amazon in the UK and other overseas locations, the services have been excellent, this time is no exception.

2.0 out of 5 stars Touchscreen laptops ain't great, 30 Jun 2013
Mr. I. D. Gatheral (London) - See all my reviews
I find this laptop difficult to use. Mainly because of its Windows 8 operating system I'll admit, but this is crucial as that is the operating system that it ships with. Want to close a screen? Use the x in the top right corner? Uh, no - now you have to take your hand away from the keyboard/mouse reach up to touch the top of the screen and drag it all the way to the bottom of the screen. Yes, all the way. Fail to do this and you'll need to repeat the process. Want to shut the thing down, drag in from the right and make sure you hit the correct icon or you'll have to wait for it to restart before shutting it down. Maddeningly, lots of stuff doesn't seem to work on windows 8 and it transports you back to a facsimile of the windows 7 desktop. This just adds to the confusion...

Having said all that, I bought this for my girlfriend who seems to quite like it so maybe I am just getting old.

Besides the stupid operating system, the machine seems ok.

4.0 out of 5 stars massively over sensitive touch pad makes using this laptop very hard, 28 Mar 2013
Mr. D. Mathieson "dave m" (cheshire) - See all my reviews
nice touch screen laptop - i3 with 6gb ram ok for none heavy applications - touch screen is nice - touch pad is a nightmare far too over sensitive you end up highlighting everything or closing all the open windows by accident - even with the sensitivity turned down to the lowest it is virtually impossible to use the touch pad - only buy if you intend to use a mouse most of the time

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 18 Mar 2014
Sent it back. Crashed installing its own software. have since replaced with a Lenovo - great computer, better value, with the added bonus of being able to cope with its own software without imploding.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›