4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but integrates nicely with Nike+ Sport Watch
Published 20 months ago by Dem_Mar

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me
Published 4 months ago by David Farmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but integrates nicely with Nike+ Sport Watch, 3 Dec 2012
With a Nike Sport watch, this produces the most important bit of data... your heart rate on the screen. Users of the Sport Watch will know that you can customise the display... I prefer to put the heart rate on the large display, and if I'm feeling the pace, can now verify my heart rate as a reminder to slow down if I'm on a longer run. It pairs quickly with the watch, similar speed to the foot sensor, and quicker than the GPS. On the Nike+ website, you can see a graph with your pace, altitude and with the heart monitor, also the heart rate on the graph.
It's expensive, so value for money loses a star for me... I felt like I was paying through the nose. But after biting that particular bullet, I don't regret.

4.0 out of 5 stars Polar Nike+ Wearlink hear-rate monitor with Nike GPS sportwatch, 23 Dec 2013
I used to run with a Suunto T3 heart-rate monitor, then purchased a Nike Sportwatch GPS to also be able to determine my running pace. After running with two wrist-watch devices for about a year(!) I was happy to discover that there was a heart-rate belt which could work with Sportwatch. This gave me a relatively low-cost alternative (as opposed to purchasing a new HRM+GPS device).

The pairing of the chest-strap with the Sportwatch was trivial (as attested by others, so I'll not get into details here). Once done, syncing with the chest-strap happens 'immediately' and I always have to wait a little longer for the GPS to sync.

Personally, I've configured my Sportwatch to show the heart-rate as the main display, and have pace (min/km) as secondary smaller-text above this. The large numbers are easily visible. The Sportwatch's tap-to-illuminate feature makes the display light up brightly, even for trail-running in the dark Scandinavian autumn evenings.

Uploaded stats on the nikeplus.com website also now displays heart-rate, in addition to pace and elevation which it used to do prior to my pairing a HRM. Nice to be able to see the strong correlation between heart-rate, elevation (and inversely, pace :-)

There's also a heart-rate tab on the website which displays heart-rate only for the run duration, and amount of time between to specified rates, i.e., within a zone.

Having had earlier experience with my Suunto T3 from before, personally, I feel that the Suunto is a more 'serious' heart-rate monitor with more focus on zones, training-effect, etc. For people intending to pursue a more heart-rate focused exercise regime, this would probably be a better way to go.

However, for my simpler requirement of being able to see both pace and heart-rate during my runs, this definitely fulfills my requirements, and I would definitely recommend it for anyone with similar expectations.

--vick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Sep 2013
I have had no problems with this, however i must state that you need a Nike plus watch for this..

NOT AN IPHONE!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with Nike+ Sportswatch, 21 May 2014
Bought this to use with Nike+ Sportswatch. First of all, I'd like to say that it wasn't clear that it works with the Sportswatch (even on the manual there is no reference to it!). I trusted the reviewers and got it anyway. To my disappointment, it did not connect straight away. I started looking into forums and manuals for the solution. And found out how to make it work! So to help other Sportswatch users, here you go: you need to be wearing the strap for it to pair up (preferably having moistened the strap as recommended in the manual). If this doesn't work (which was the case for me), try performing a "soft reset" on the watch. Just hold the "up" and the "select" buttons for a few seconds. After that, it connected straight away. Haven't run using the monitor yet, but it's paired up fine and picking up my heart rate. Happy days!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 28 Mar 2014
I had wildly varying readings for the first six or seven minutes of running (between 30 and 120 bpm). This was even after I dampened the strap with water. I concluded it was because I have dry skin. I read later that there is some gel you can get to put on the strap but this wasn't mentioned in the instructions. After seven minutes when I started perspiring it worked okay. However this was too unreliable for my use and I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, 18 Mar 2014
Does what it says on the tin easy to use and sync with the Nike watch very quickly no messing around!

5.0 out of 5 stars ticked the box, 27 Feb 2014
Fitted straight away and synced with the watch no problem. I've worn it about 6 weeks with 25 runs at an average of 7kms and not a bit of discomfort felt so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the packet, 20 Nov 2013
I use it with my Nike+ sports watch, connects up swiftly and works well on the stats dashboard. Excellent quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with iPhone Nike+ & Nike+ shoes, 24 Jun 2013
I've been using the built in Nike+ app on my various iPhones along with Nike+ trainers with a iPod sport kit dongle (the little red and white pill shape device that goes inside your Nike+ trainers) for years now and wanted to integrate the HRM into those workouts.

It doesn't work with the iPhone 5, even with the dongle which they call the iPod kit in a lot of marketing branding. Very frustrating as it's all branded "Nike+" but as I've learnt through out the years, Nike+ is a bit fragmented and not all devices work with one another. I should have known better.

I gave it 2 stars because although it didn't work 'as advertised" I should have looked closer at the fine print details on tech like this. I can't comment on how well it works as a HRM as I never got that far obviously...

- Additional info-

After a whole load of research it turns out that there are NO heart rate monitors that work with Nike+ apps and an iPhone. There are monitors (like the Polar h7) that work with other iPhone apps using Bluetooth 4.0 but none work with the Nike+ system on iPhone.

Your only choice is to either buy the Nike SportsBand, SportsWatch GPS or get yourself an iPod nano; which stupidly DOES work with the Polar Nike+ HRM using the Nike+ app built into the iPod. Amazing that they have left iPhone users out of a HRM simply because they have other products that do HRM.

I love the Nike+ system and have used it for years, but this glaring hole in their product offering is making me reconsider it...

3.0 out of 5 stars Er.......ok but expensive for what it is......, 18 April 2013
Wouldn't buy this unless you intend to base your work out on heart rate alone....
and that you can interpret the results yourself.......
Good that you can change the battery to extend its life......not particularly comfortable
if you've never used one before like me.......I now have so much respect for the discomfort
the ladies out there must experience from your underwear!

Polar Wearlink Nike+ TR ST