Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion

Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£13.10

on 26 April 2013
I was already Free Range when I bought this book, but having followed Marianne's blog at [...] for a couple of months, I really wanted to find out more ... and even reading as someone who'd already taken the leap, I have walked away with some amazing ideas and processes as a result of reading it.

In fact I have read it once and now intend to go back through it again more slowly, this time working through the many excellent exercises that it contains and scribbling notes next to the bits that resonate with me most ... and there were many.

I took voluntary redundancy from the BBC after 20 years having gone part time, then taken a career break, sold the house, then finally taken the plunge, building up my online business step-by-step in the process ... much in the way that's described in 'Be A Free Range Human'.

I have a family, we home educate one of my children and have all the usual encumbrances (or reasons not to take the plunge) much as any other reader will have ... I had zero business experience and no contacts.

I blundered through that process on my own, and I really wish I'd had this book to read - and for reassurance - while I was doing that.

It takes you from managing your doubts and worries (everybody has to overcome those two things!) through to the creative process of coming up with your idea, then to the practicalities of getting it going and onto your new life.

I have to stress that although I'm doing this already, I still walked away with so much that is actionable as a result of reading 'Be A Free Range Human'.

There were so many concepts that really resonated with me, so many ideas that will help me on my own Free Range journey - and I'm actually going to get my teenage daughter to give it a read as I suspect it'll be the best bit of careers advice she ever gets!

The book is easy to digest, it has short, focused chapters, it's packed with tips, real-life examples and bonus extras and it's well laid out in a manner that encourages rapid consumption of the contents.

You're probably reading these reviews because you want desperately to change your life.

This book will show you that it really is possible - whatever excuses you find to convince yourself that it's not - and it will take you by the hand and reveal to you, step-by-step how you can achieve Free Range freedom.

And let me tell you as another who has done it, although you may not be sure of what lies ahead I doubt that you'll ever regret leaving your old life behind for your new life of freedom, adventure and self fulfillment.

I recommend this book for everybody who's ever had a glimmer of 'what if?' whilst doing their day job and wishing for change ... take that first step, read this book and take the first step towards your own Free Range life today.

Paul Teague
[...]
on 4 January 2013
Marianne has an uncanny knack of combining straight-talking, concrete business advice, uncommon real life examples and contagious enthusiasm to throw the doors wide open to what's possible.

If you get the feeling that your life and work have not quite gone to plan - or it has, but somehow it just doesn't feel as good as you imagined - read this book. You'll get plenty of "OH! So THAT's why..." and "seriously, I'm not the only one?" moments, "I never thought about it like THAT" lightbulbs and most importantly a wealth of "THIS is what I can do next" possibilities.

This is much more than a business guide. It's a wake up call, that speaks to the heart, reads your mind and gives you practical tools you can use right now to start creating a life you love (rather than a "follow this model, do it like this, sell your soul first then you'll have enough money to do what you want...")

Refreshingly honest, funny, insightful and practical. Like talking to a best friend who knows you AND knows her stuff, and won't let you get away with excuses, martyrdom or settling for second rate. Be warned.
on 12 March 2013
Marrianne has a way of writing that makes you think. It made me think about all my dreams of escaping the 'JOB' and embarking on an adventure. Which is what we should all be doing. We only get one life (as far as we know) so we really should be striving to make it fantastic. And if your idea of having a fantastic life involves creating a life where you can play to your strengths and enjoy what you do every day then this book gives you the basics to make that a reality.
Having read many books regarding life development and working for yourself I was a bit aprehensive about reading another one. But this one was different and like a breath of fresh air in comparison. I have started a project already, running alongside my conventional 'JOB' but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel thanks to Marrianne and this wonderful book. I would recommend it to anyone even those who are happy in their jobs as it shows you there is another way if only we take a leap and embrace it. This has given me the confidence to do that, to take the leap where all the other books have left me with more questions than answers. Well worth a read and definitely deserving of the five stars I have given it.
on 10 March 2013
All too easy to skim through as another 'self help' book but it is way more than that. The exercises are very useful to do and after a awhile, I fine my brain opening up to new ideas. I haven't finished it yet but enjoying it so far
on 22 April 2013
Normally companies advertising at me based on my internet cookies drive me crazy, but this time Amazon got it spot on. From the moment I read the description in their suggestions section, this book spoke to me. Actually, it screamed at me, and I hit the 'Buy now with 1-Click' button without even looking at the price.

Was I disappointed? Hell, no!

This is the first non-fic book I've read from cover to cover without putting it down. Okay, I did put it down really, but only to do the exercises, and to take a swig of my coffee.

For a long time now I've been toying with an idea for a business, but something just didn't feel quite right. Be A Free Range Human clicked with me immediately and all the lights seemed to come on at once. It's not just about the business, it's about the lifestyle.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? I've now fished my business idea out of my asylum file (where all of my crazy ideas go) and, with the perspective shifts I got from working through this book, I really believe I can make a go of it.

Thank you for a super book, Marianne. I highly recommend it.
on 3 October 2013
If you've had enough of your current job, but can't find the "one thing" that'll free you from being an employee, this is the book for you. Trying to find that "one thing" always filled me with dread...now I know that I'd just be trading one job for another even though I'd be working for myself I'd be tied to one thing.

Now I'm feeling so free know that I don't have to do that anymore. I can have several ideas on the go at once and it's so liberating. I can write when I'd prefer to write (like three am while I'm writing this review) or I can sew some projects I want to include on my prospective website (this book has inspired and fired me enough that I'll be crossing that off my list by the end of the week!)

If you want to escape from being tied to employment get this book...I'm teaching my kids the principles taught here (they're too cool to be caught reading one of mum's books!) so they can start their free range life now!
on 6 February 2013
This book covers all the thought processes and emotional stuff that you go through when thinking of starting out as a new business...it cuts out all the business speak that most books use to confuse you with and allows you to just run with ideas until you find what you are looking for in your new business. It contains a lot of self analysis which can be a complete eye-opener about what you might really want to do with the rest of your life as opposed to what you feel might be a safe idea. Easy to read and apply, and a novel way to discover who you are and where you want to be. I was already starting up a business when I read this book and used this book to maximise the full potential that I knew was alluding me. I have started a second business already which I wouldnt have thought of for myself as a viable money maker. I loved this book from start to finish and recommend this to anyone who wants to do more with their life than working for others..
on 3 March 2013
Before I read this book, I had the pleasure of doing not one but two of Marianne Cantwell's online courses (the Ideas Adventure and the Fasttrack Course) and also attended last year's online Free-Range Festival (hence my mention under 'The Free Range Tribe' heading in the 'Acknowledgements' section of the book). I assumed that it would cover the same material as the courses so didn't buy it straight away, but when I finally uploaded it to my Kindle I was pleasantly surprised by the great content and how brilliantly written it was. It is, in turns, amusing, motivational, inspiring and so easy to follow that you'll be plotting your escape from your 'cubicle cage' and the 'beige army' from page one. The epilogue ensures that this book stands out from all the other business/self-help titles I've read and its message stayed with me long after I finished reading. If you're looking to cultivate 'a life less ordinary', I cannot recommend it enough.
on 19 December 2014
I had recently left the corporate cage when I discovered this book, and what a find! It was a really inspiring & educational read with plenty of exercises to get you thinking. 18 months later, I still refer back to the book. There's just so much information there - talk about value for money!

I was a little confused by an earlier review noting the author's limited linkedin profile. The book provides a background to her prior life in the corporate world (working with Disney as an example), & how she took a leap of faith to set up a business which has given her a freedom most people will never know. Perhaps she's just too busy living her Free Range life to update her Linkedin profile?

If you want to find out a little more before you buy, why not sign up for the author's free Friday Love Letters on her website? They always come from some exciting different location. She really is practising what she's preaching!
on 25 February 2013
My wife bought this as an audio book and after listening to it herself finally managed to persuade me to listen to it too. I've never been a fan of 'self-help' books and so I came to it with a large degree of skepticism but I've been looking to find a way out of the 'career cage' for a while now and figured I had nothing to lose.

Well I'm glad to say the book surpassed all of my expectations and I am now working through it for a second time in more detail but ::ahem:: this time doing the exercises properly. This has given me a whole new perspective on myself, what I love to do and my career... I mean REALLY.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who feels trapped by the corporate treadmill, who wakes up on a Monday morning with a heavy heart or who feels as though they are wasting precious years in front of endless spreadsheets.

This could be the book that sets you free :)