Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£13.10

on 27 November 2013
Very Inspiring and motivational. I think it's important to point out, however, that this is not a book about creating a business. It's about creating and living the life you want and creating enough money to support that lifestyle. It takes lots of courage, hard work and creativity to walk away from the corporate world. I did it and it's been a roller-coaster of a ride! When you do leave your job please be very, very careful about the "job you give yourself". Marianne is absolutely right that you cannot succeed unless you have a passion, burning deep within your soul, for what you do. It's the only way you're going to have the drive and energy to achieve the "expert status" you'll really need to succeed. You cannot be shy and retiring either. One way or another you're going to have to be comfortable with selling yourself and your expertise. We live in a world where nearly everything depends on a sale from the houses we live in to the clothes we wear and the food we eat. Whatever you do will involve selling yourself, your personality and expertise, so please be up for this before you jump. It's also vital that you surround yourself with good friends and lots of social interaction, as working on your own can be very lonely and isolating. No man is an Island - truly. If you know what your passion is, I agree with Marianne to play with it and make a prototype. Just get on with it! Keep your job and simply dip your toe in the water. If there's a market for your expertise and you're making good money, just leap and get on with it. Marianne so rightly asks "if you had only one life, what would you do with it? " Have a good think about this clever question - you're only here for a heartbeat in the life of planet earth. Build, create and live. There are no days to kill. Be proud of yourself and persevere with your passions. Be brave, tell your story and make other people's lives better. Also, please don't play the "when then game" ie when I have a nicer, car, house, girlfriend, job etc then I'll be happy. Discontentment seems to be one of the biggest diseases of our time. Happiness is found in the journey, not the destination. LEAP!
on 5 August 2013
I purchased this book after it was recommended by Tim Ferris (famous free ranger. I am now 4 years into a free range career and haven't looked back. That said I have made some of the classic mistakes Marianne talks about in her book. I left a very well paid job as a project manager in the city to open a coffee shop near the coast in Dorset. Sounds idyllic, except that I had built my own cage...dooh! I sold the coffee shop and have started writing E-Books for a living working from home or the camper parked somewhere lovely! It's not been an easy transition and there have been many times I have put my CV online to go back to the old career. My advice is make sure you have your financial situation in check before you jump. Need to renew your mortgage deal? Do it now before you go as it will be a number of years before the bank see you as stable again.

A well though out book with lots of freebee topics found online. Whilst the book is not a business idea generator it will help you nurture and grow the ideas you have.
on 25 February 2013
I have followed Marianne's Free Range Humans blog for some time and have always enjoyed her straight talking, practical, honest approach. She's not a 'get rich quick' merchant, she is the real deal - what really resonated with me was her own personal experience of being 'trapped in the career cage'.
Her book brings together years of blog posts, course materials etc in one place. It contains all the core information and exercises that will get you going on the road to a free range lifestyle. It's so important to do the exercises but you can take things at your own pace, which I liked.
It really has worked for me. After years of trying to dream up some 'big idea' on my own, Marianne's approach and exercises made me realise that not only was I focusing on the wrong things but I also needed to get out of my rut and experiment with test projects instead of overthinking every tiny detail.
I have now launched my own business, with no loans, capital or overheads, and it is growing at the speed that works for me. I am so much happier and I can also still pay the bills !
on 6 January 2013
The book is easy to read and you can whizz through Marianne's conversational writing style in a few hours to leave you feeling pumped and positive about the future.

However the real beauty is the immense amount of work that has gone into including the resources, exercises and further reading to help you transform your newfound inspiration into useful action.

This combination of enthusiasm and practical application is what stops this being just another business / self-help / personal-development book.

Think: far more substance than a book of motivational quotes, but less boring and stuffy than a traditional business book.
on 19 December 2014
I first read this book in May last year and to my shame have been so busy since then re arranging my life and starting new things that I omitted to come back and give the book the review it deserves. This book will take you on a journey - your own journey, of your own crafting and help you to firstly find out what you love and then how to do it. That's it! It sounds easy written like that but that is the other joy of this book for it introduces you to a whole world of encouragement, love, motivation ... You will read this over and over, my copy is not 'dog eared' because it is on my kindle but if it could talk it would say 'not that book again....' because once you start you cannot stop dreaming and then doing. Trust me and all the other 5 star reviews, and all the people in the Free Range Community. LOL Teresa PS I am now out of the corporate cage and starting my own business and have never felt more energised. I am 57 years old - no age barriers in this wonderful world.
on 25 February 2013
I loved this book and had great fun being profiled in it (the chapter on branding). I've been a fan of Marianne's work for a few years now, I've not found many others who care so much and are so passionate about helping people to create a working life that fits in with everything they've wanted.

I bought copies for Mr Jen and for a friend who has a great business but who I can see being even more amazing than she already is.

The book is comprehensive in that it isn't just for people who have a business and want to make it bigger, but for anyone sitting there, like I used to, at their desk thinking the best things that can happen to them at work are:
1. coffee break
2. lunch
3, going home

There IS more to life - this book helps you to identify what a great life looks like to YOU then helps you go get it. Highly recommended.
on 19 December 2014
First stumbled across this book maybe a couple of years ago in audiobook format, and it's struck a cord with me, so much so I came to Amazon and bought the paperback version so I could study it in more detail.

The book is jam packed with advice on how to plan an escape plan from a life in corporate "cage", where you work you backside off only to line someone else's pockets, in return for high stress and virtually no job security.

Some reviewers have mentioned the book is geared toward people who are blog writers. While there are quite a bit of advice on how you can use a blog to help build a business, it's definitely not biased towards it. For example, one of the case study in the book is about a lady who started a cup cake business whilst still at work, and found herself on national TV.

One thing the book is geared towards, and actually recommend everyone to do, is to start a business from small. Don't risk your life savings in a high risk unproven concept, build from small, test your ideas and gradually build on a solid foundation. This advice can actually be found is most popular books on starting businesses and I personally think is great advice.

Even after two years, each time I re-read or re-listen to the book, I am still picking up new nuggets of advice that I had missed.
on 12 May 2014
I first discovered this book in May 2013 and it has literally changed my life. In 12 months I became a free range human and it's largely due to Cantwell's direct, honest coaching. Her exercises on finding the thing that will make you happy, and her enthusiasm for building a portfolio career are utterly engaging and spot on. If you're unsettled at work, read this book. I have paperback and kindle versions!
on 14 March 2013
This book is nothing like all the other titles on Amazon about how to give up your job and become a location-independent digital nomad making hundreds of thousands a year with nothing but a laptop and a dream. It's down to earth, realistic and fun to read, and most importantly, the author does not come across as smug.

As someone who who already became self-employed a while ago, I didn't need this book to help me give up a corporate job, but what I did appreciate were the exercises and tips on how to improve my business and branch out into more areas (in this economy it's best not to have all your eggs in one basket, after all). The tips are very practical and the exercises are fun to do. I read the book from start to finish in just two days and came up with several great ideas for my business, some while I was still reading and some a few weeks later. The author is very encouraging and likeable - unlike many other authors of this genre. In particular, her tips about specialisation and finding a niche market were useful for me.

My only criticism is that the tips on getting started tend to assume that your niche market is made up of private individuals, whereas some of us might want to sell products and services to large businesses and government - I feel that the book doesn't really take this into consideration. Nevertheless, nobody can please everybody all the time and you can't expect to find everything you're looking for in one book. In general this book has been a fantastic springboard for me. Definitely worth the money!
on 24 April 2014
This is (if you haven't already read the blurb) a rough guide to working for yourself and tailoring your life to what suits you best. The author is warm, comes off as knowledgeable and has several interesting case studies.
My one grumble about this ad other books of its ilk are that they've all been written (or seem to) by folk who are in well-paid jobs who are escaping the office world, so it's a bit difficult to relate to when your own life is somewhat different. That said, it's encouraging to know that there is far more to life than being a slave to the wage.
I would recommend this book as there's a bit of information about the practical side of things too - registering as a business, tax and so on, which so many books seem to neglect.