5.0 out of 5 stars City of bones
Published 11 months ago by Anon

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, predictable
I was bored, the acting goes from medioca to terrible. Definatly aimed at teenage girls, everyone loves me, I'm so special. if you liked the second twilight you will love this!
Published 2 months ago by lola

5.0 out of 5 stars City of bones, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film when it was out at the cinemas, the books are brilliant. I cant wait for the dvd to come out, but why wait til january, it should be released before christmas. Once again, why is another series being compared to twilight, its nothing like twilight, I am a huge twilight fan, read the books several times, watched all the dvds loads of times too, but this is another brilliant stand alone series, by a completely different author, so those critics out there, forget twilight whilst reading or watching this, stop comparing. Now I learn the second film in the series has been put on hold indefinitely, why oh why are they putting the second film on hold, the first is brilliant, Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower are brilliantly cast as the leads. I don't want to say too much about the film, as it may spoil it for those who haven't seen it or read the book. Lets just say it is more about demons/magic. I just hope they change their minds and decide to film the second book, and all the other books too as it is a brilliant series.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not Twilight!, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
So fed up of reading 80% reviews that have to mention twilight. Lets get this out first. It is NOT Twilight. Whether you liked the saga or not, it is nothing like it, just because it is based on a set of YA books, that is as far as the similarity goes. Yes it had vampires in and a male/female lead (trio) and so have many other films.

City of bones is the first film based on the Mortal instruments books by Cassandra Clare. I went into the cinema as a non fan. Had no expectations.I couldn't get into the books when I was first encouraged to read them by my daughter. But the clips looked good and she wanted to see it. Yes it probably went on about legends and mythology. Why wouldn't it? If you are going to make a film, its no good bypassing the why's and the wherefores of why they are doing what they are doing today. Every series of films has the first film as a getting to know the characters and a backstory. If they don't go into the story, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. The film had a lot of action, from early on into the film. With a hint of romance that hasn't over powered the film. It had feeling and depth to it and a little humour. I came away from the cinema wanting to know more and wanting to see more films. Even my husband who normally only tolerates such films to keep the peace wants to see the next one.

Reading the first book of the series the same night, was awesome. It had the same lines in it, mostly delivered by "Jace" and having watched the film, I could hear his voice and it was the same! Yes they changed bits, they had to. They had to get a long book into a film, that had to appeal to fans, non fans, teenagers, adults, and poor long suffering husbands who get dragged along. In short it had to appeal to everyone. I would say it was successful.

If you don't like it, that is your opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But if you don't like it, it doesn't make it a bad film. I sincerely hope that if they don't make the entire series (and I really hope they do!) that they at least make the next 2 books and wrap it up properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I should say up front that I haven't read the Mortal Instruments Books (although I have read other books by the same author) so I am judging the film as a film alone, not in comparison to the book.

I didn't really know what to expect, although I had heard some pretty sharp criticism of Jamie Campbell Bower's acting beforehand. As it happened, I love the character he plays, Jace. I suspect much of the objection is because is he is sarcastic, incendiary and self-effacing and uses attack as a form of defence; to get that much out of a movie with lots of action, J C-B must have some acting skills, although the character will not be to everyone's taste.

There are reviewers on here who say they had difficulty following the plot: I didn't. The tale is that of a quest to find a missing cup of power; a standard motif in fantasy literature but not one fantasy fans are likely to tire of.

The other characters; Clary, Simon, Jocelyn, Luke, Magnus, Isabelle and Alec all stand as individuals and it's easy to imagine that there is plenty of backstory to expand on in forthcoming films (and presumably already done in the books - I must get them!).

It shouldn't be necessary in this day and age to say that it was nice to see gay people treated as in and out of love the same as the non-gay people, but it was. I'm rooting for Alec and the hot witchy guy :D

Edit added, March 2014: I've now read all Cassandra Clare's books, and whilst I can now see why people have passed comment on the divergence of the film's plot from the first book, I still love the film. It's exceptionally well-cast, and the actors have the characters off to a tee. Terrific.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch but definitely read the book, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
This film is good in its own right. Sticks close to the book but moves a lot faster and misses a few key bits out as is usual from transfer from book to film. Hence the 4 and not 5 stars. Worth a watch but definitely read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 11 Sep 2013
M. A. L. Tuffley "ALT" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely loved this movie. I cannot wait for the DVD. The reviews are a unnecessarily harsh and unjustified. I will admit that it has been changed from the book, but I really liked it and cannot wait for the second one

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired & fun, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
Given this is the biggest Young Adult Fiction franchise since Twilight, it's inevitable that this series would be compared to its massively successful predecessor. Although it has a young heroine, an attractive male lead, vampires and werewolves, the similarities between the two are actually exaggerated. I'm a huge Twilight fan, but I thought this was better. More ambitious, intricate plot, better acting and a beautiful score by Atli Orvarsson - I enjoyed every minute of this film. So much so that I went and bought the books (which are fab too) the next day. Jamie Campbell Bower was somewhat irritating in Twilight, but in this film he comes across as an impressive, charismatic actor, playing Jace pretty much to perfection. Godfrey Gao as the wonderful Magnus Bane and Jemima West as Isabelle stand out too.

It's a real shame more people didn't go and see this at the cinema (I think the film's producers failed to promote this first instalment effectively)- let's hope the sequel (City of Ashes) gets made as City of Bones really left me wanting for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
Having read TMI series, I had to go see the movie adaptation. And was not disappointed. Of course, not EVERYTHING was included, as is to be expected. But it doesn't spoil it in any way. Has plenty of the clever, witty banter/quips that partly makes the series so enjoyable, and as well-loved as it is. Love Jamie Campbell-Bower and Lily Collins as Jace and Clary. Jace is always so cool and calm with every situation, and...ahem, HOT ;) and so brilliantly sarcastic! And we love him for it!
Overall, a brilliantly fun, action-packed, often sweetly romantic adventure that I (and many others) very much hope will continue being filmed with City of Ashes and the rest!
10/10 Unfairly under-rated

4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T YOU SEE IT?, 2 Sep 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
This film is for those who grew up missing Buffy, Twilight, and Star Wars. For you older guys out there, make sure you take a bag with you as I discovered my theater doesn't take kindly to hurling chunks. Like Twilight, the film is designed for the female tween audience. Clary (Lily Collins) rhymes with Carrie (Fisher) and reminds us of clairvoyance, is the main teen character. She can see things her friend Simon (Robert Sheehan) can not, especially that symbol that looks like the head of a deranged bunny.

One day Clary comes home to find mom (Lena Headey) left a mess and a demonic attack dog. Her life now consists of hanging out with a goth half angelic being (Jamie Campbell Bower), trying to find out who she is, rediscovering her powers, killing the beings Kristen Stewart would rather procreate with, and something about a cup. There is no Bella in this film, just an Isabelle. Could we please bet off the Bella Donna word play.

The film is a culmination of pop culture designed to appeal to young female fans. All others beware of nausea. Keep an eye on Clary's hair part as it magically changes aka Deb in "Napoleon Dynamite."

On a side note: Both Lily Collins (Mirror, Mirror) and Kristen Stewart (Snow White and the Huntsman) both played the role of Snow White. Lily was clearly the superior actress by being able to read a line and use facial expressions. This is a film 12 year old girls will adore, and one you can embarrass them with later in life.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity. Awkward blend of religion and occult. 4 stars for the tweens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than it's being given credit for, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I've been reading a lot of reviews of TMI out of sheer curiosity, and almost every single one seems to make comparisons to Twilight. I find this horrifically unfair, given that the love triangle is a staple of all fiction- and that is definitely where the similarities end. I vehemently hated Twilight- people that know me don't bring it up around me, because they know it will induce a vitriolic rant about its layers of godawfulness. Yet, I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed City of Bones.

For me, Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace was by far and away the highlight of the movie. His delivery of Clare's witty lines was perfect, but he also handled the brooding, dramatic element very well. I also enjoyed the central performances of Lily Collins and Robert Sheehan (who, as a fan of Misfits, couldn't be further from the role that gained him fame). To be honest, most of the cast were good in their roles, although Jonathan Rhys Meyer was a little OTT in his role as the antagonist, Valentine.

I can understand why some may call the film 'messy'- it is packing a lot into one film, and having read the book shortly after seeing it, a lot was missed out or glossed over. The presence of the werewolves and vampires is rendered almost entirely pointless by not explaining why they were there. Claims of the film being a rip-off of other fantasy franchises are not entirely groundless, either- certainly, it's clear that Clare was inspired heavily by Harry Potter and Star Wars- but this didn't bother me much, as I felt the plot ran with it and made it its own just enough.

I've heard that the sequel, City of Ashes, has been postponed indefinitely, which I think is a shame because the story gets more interesting in later books once the world is established. I just think that people ought to watch this movie with an open mind (and WITHOUT any ideas of Twilight!)- perhaps you will find it has its own kind of charm, as I did.

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, predictable, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (DVD)

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD]
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] by Harald Zwart (DVD - 2014)
5.00