5.0 out of 5 stars City of bones

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the book
Published 1 month ago by George

5.0 out of 5 stars City of bones, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film when it was out at the cinemas, the books are brilliant. I cant wait for the dvd to come out, but why wait til january, it should be released before christmas. Once again, why is another series being compared to twilight, its nothing like twilight, I am a huge twilight fan, read the books several times, watched all the dvds loads of times too, but this is another brilliant stand alone series, by a completely different author, so those critics out there, forget twilight whilst reading or watching this, stop comparing. Now I learn the second film in the series has been put on hold indefinitely, why oh why are they putting the second film on hold, the first is brilliant, Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower are brilliantly cast as the leads. I don't want to say too much about the film, as it may spoil it for those who haven't seen it or read the book. Lets just say it is more about demons/magic. I just hope they change their minds and decide to film the second book, and all the other books too as it is a brilliant series.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not Twilight!, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
So fed up of reading 80% reviews that have to mention twilight. Lets get this out first. It is NOT Twilight. Whether you liked the saga or not, it is nothing like it, just because it is based on a set of YA books, that is as far as the similarity goes. Yes it had vampires in and a male/female lead (trio) and so have many other films.

City of bones is the first film based on the Mortal instruments books by Cassandra Clare. I went into the cinema as a non fan. Had no expectations.I couldn't get into the books when I was first encouraged to read them by my daughter. But the clips looked good and she wanted to see it. Yes it probably went on about legends and mythology. Why wouldn't it? If you are going to make a film, its no good bypassing the why's and the wherefores of why they are doing what they are doing today. Every series of films has the first film as a getting to know the characters and a backstory. If they don't go into the story, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. The film had a lot of action, from early on into the film. With a hint of romance that hasn't over powered the film. It had feeling and depth to it and a little humour. I came away from the cinema wanting to know more and wanting to see more films. Even my husband who normally only tolerates such films to keep the peace wants to see the next one.

Reading the first book of the series the same night, was awesome. It had the same lines in it, mostly delivered by "Jace" and having watched the film, I could hear his voice and it was the same! Yes they changed bits, they had to. They had to get a long book into a film, that had to appeal to fans, non fans, teenagers, adults, and poor long suffering husbands who get dragged along. In short it had to appeal to everyone. I would say it was successful.

If you don't like it, that is your opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But if you don't like it, it doesn't make it a bad film. I sincerely hope that if they don't make the entire series (and I really hope they do!) that they at least make the next 2 books and wrap it up properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I should say up front that I haven't read the Mortal Instruments Books (although I have read other books by the same author) so I am judging the film as a film alone, not in comparison to the book.

I didn't really know what to expect, although I had heard some pretty sharp criticism of Jamie Campbell Bower's acting beforehand. As it happened, I love the character he plays, Jace. I suspect much of the objection is because is he is sarcastic, incendiary and self-effacing and uses attack as a form of defence; to get that much out of a movie with lots of action, J C-B must have some acting skills, although the character will not be to everyone's taste.

There are reviewers on here who say they had difficulty following the plot: I didn't. The tale is that of a quest to find a missing cup of power; a standard motif in fantasy literature but not one fantasy fans are likely to tire of.

The other characters; Clary, Simon, Jocelyn, Luke, Magnus, Isabelle and Alec all stand as individuals and it's easy to imagine that there is plenty of backstory to expand on in forthcoming films (and presumably already done in the books - I must get them!).

It shouldn't be necessary in this day and age to say that it was nice to see gay people treated as in and out of love the same as the non-gay people, but it was. I'm rooting for Alec and the hot witchy guy :D

Edit added, March 2014: I've now read all Cassandra Clare's books, and whilst I can now see why people have passed comment on the divergence of the film's plot from the first book, I still love the film. It's exceptionally well-cast, and the actors have the characters off to a tee. Terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 11 Sep 2013
M. A. L. Tuffley "ALT" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely loved this movie. I cannot wait for the DVD. The reviews are a unnecessarily harsh and unjustified. I will admit that it has been changed from the book, but I really liked it and cannot wait for the second one

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
Having read TMI series, I had to go see the movie adaptation. And was not disappointed. Of course, not EVERYTHING was included, as is to be expected. But it doesn't spoil it in any way. Has plenty of the clever, witty banter/quips that partly makes the series so enjoyable, and as well-loved as it is. Love Jamie Campbell-Bower and Lily Collins as Jace and Clary. Jace is always so cool and calm with every situation, and...ahem, HOT ;) and so brilliantly sarcastic! And we love him for it!
Overall, a brilliantly fun, action-packed, often sweetly romantic adventure that I (and many others) very much hope will continue being filmed with City of Ashes and the rest!
10/10 Unfairly under-rated

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the book, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (Blu-ray)
Well, there's two hours of my life I'll never get back. This film had the potential to be a blockbuster, but it's let down by dreadful acting and a terrible screenplay. Save for Lena Headey and Robert Sheehan, this is possibly one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The overall experience is a humorless, emotionally vapid and groan-worthy affair. It's so far from the book it was inspired by, it hardly compares. Jamie Campbell Bower is mono-tonal, (how does this guy keep getting work?) and conveys nothing of the arrogant, cheeky and charismatic Jace in Cassandra Clare's books. Lily Collins isn't awful as Clary, but she is in no way the feisty redheaded ass-kicker she ought to be. Avoid it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than it's being given credit for, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I've been reading a lot of reviews of TMI out of sheer curiosity, and almost every single one seems to make comparisons to Twilight. I find this horrifically unfair, given that the love triangle is a staple of all fiction- and that is definitely where the similarities end. I vehemently hated Twilight- people that know me don't bring it up around me, because they know it will induce a vitriolic rant about its layers of godawfulness. Yet, I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed City of Bones.

For me, Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace was by far and away the highlight of the movie. His delivery of Clare's witty lines was perfect, but he also handled the brooding, dramatic element very well. I also enjoyed the central performances of Lily Collins and Robert Sheehan (who, as a fan of Misfits, couldn't be further from the role that gained him fame). To be honest, most of the cast were good in their roles, although Jonathan Rhys Meyer was a little OTT in his role as the antagonist, Valentine.

I can understand why some may call the film 'messy'- it is packing a lot into one film, and having read the book shortly after seeing it, a lot was missed out or glossed over. The presence of the werewolves and vampires is rendered almost entirely pointless by not explaining why they were there. Claims of the film being a rip-off of other fantasy franchises are not entirely groundless, either- certainly, it's clear that Clare was inspired heavily by Harry Potter and Star Wars- but this didn't bother me much, as I felt the plot ran with it and made it its own just enough.

I've heard that the sequel, City of Ashes, has been postponed indefinitely, which I think is a shame because the story gets more interesting in later books once the world is established. I just think that people ought to watch this movie with an open mind (and WITHOUT any ideas of Twilight!)- perhaps you will find it has its own kind of charm, as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired & fun, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
Given this is the biggest Young Adult Fiction franchise since Twilight, it's inevitable that this series would be compared to its massively successful predecessor. Although it has a young heroine, an attractive male lead, vampires and werewolves, the similarities between the two are actually exaggerated. I'm a huge Twilight fan, but I thought this was better. More ambitious, intricate plot, better acting and a beautiful score by Atli Orvarsson - I enjoyed every minute of this film. So much so that I went and bought the books (which are fab too) the next day. Jamie Campbell Bower was somewhat irritating in Twilight, but in this film he comes across as an impressive, charismatic actor, playing Jace pretty much to perfection. Godfrey Gao as the wonderful Magnus Bane and Jemima West as Isabelle stand out too.

It's a real shame more people didn't go and see this at the cinema (I think the film's producers failed to promote this first instalment effectively)- let's hope the sequel (City of Ashes) gets made as City of Bones really left me wanting for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
Although a few things are changed from the book, City of Bones turned out way better than I'd expected after seeing the Beautiful Creatures and Twilight movies. The Mortal Instruments is my fave book series ever, so I was a little worried how it would turn out on the big screen, but I needn't have panicked. The movie is amaze, the acting is great, and the soundtrack is spot on.
I especially love the way Jamie Bower plays Jace - he is so funny, totally perfect as the witty Shadowhunter we all love (not to mention totally hot). Kevin Zegers actually turned out to be a pretty good Alec, sort of stuck up and sort of bitchy, like he is in the first book. Simon was totally adorable and broke my heart in a couple of places. Valentine, though he doesn't look like he does in the book, makes an epically creepy bad guy with those dreads. And Magnus...well, he's awesome. Need I say more?
Honestly, I went to see this movie three times because I loved it so much. Cannot wait for City of Ashes to hit the screen! <3

1.0 out of 5 stars Really is awful, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] (DVD)
I have read the books and loved them, as with other book to film adaptations that were slated (but I enjoyed) I was dubious to the poor ratings on this film.

Having now watched it I can wholeheartedly agree. The plot was very far from the books, characters did not seem to be portrayed as the ages they should have been. Very rushed and hard to follow plot line.

Couldn't even say there was any eye candy to distract from the awful acting.

ARRAY(0xac862bc4)

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD]
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones [DVD] by Harald Zwart (DVD - 2014)
7.20