4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable film

3.0 out of 5 stars MY FAMILY IS DIFFERENT
Published 23 months ago by The Movie Guy

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable film, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
I haven't read the books but thought the storyline sounded interesting - a female castor (witch) would have to choose between the light or dark side when she turned 16, and along the way she falls in love with a mortal boy from her school. The witches theme reminded me of The Vampire Diaries at times, although TVD does it so much better. Overall I quite enjoyed the film, although it was a bit slow to begin with and I thought Ethan was a bit of drip so couldn't really understand Lena's fascination with him.

Emma Thomspon is particularly good in this and it was entertaining for a couple of hours. If there is a sequel I would watch it, as I was intrigued by the way the film ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS MOVIE!!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I thought this movie was brilliant! From the acting, to the story, and the special effects were phenomenal! Some of the best effects I have seen from any recent films!
I didn't think it was anything like Twilight or The Hunger Games (Both films I like) and shouldn't be compared to them just because of the genre and the age group it is aimed at! Why film and TV about Witches (Or Casters) hasn't taken off I will never know, as personally they are my favourite supernatural beings!
From the opening scene to the very last, I was taken in and enjoyed every second of it! There has to be sequel WARNER BROS.!!!

Definitely one to watch!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 2 Jan. 2014
Suzanne Moore "Suzanne" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
An enjoyable supernatural story, witches not vampire for a change. A story about a young witch about to come of age which means she is to be claimed for the light or for the the dark.

3.0 out of 5 stars MY FAMILY IS DIFFERENT, 3 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
This film incorporates elements of "Twilight" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" to make for a confused film. Lena (Alice Englert) is the new kid in school. Ethan (Alden Ehrenreich) who is not the brightest bulb in the pack, is attracted to her, even with her attempts to brush him off. We soon find out Lena has telekinetic powers, as does her family who are not witches but castors. You can look that up on Google.

There are flashbacks to a local Civil War battle fought on Dec.21, Lena's birthday. Her 16th birthday is approaching, a time when she will become...

Lena could have been played by Kirsten Stewart with an occasional facial expression, while Ethan was an irritating goober. Dad was a creepy gentry, rounding out characters that were fairly stereotypical. The locals were so stereotypical, I almost barfed. I would wait for the DVD with the commentary if you haven't read the book.

Parental Guide: No F-bombs, sex, or nudity

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved all the books, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
I loved all the books, they are brilliant.

I was really looking forward to seeing how the film went.

TBH I was a little disapointed. If i hadnt read the books i dont think i would have understood most of it, the story of lena and eathan wasnt explained very well and the fact they changed the whole 16th moon story really wasnt as good. nothing was explained very well at all. if they do thr next one i hope they do a better job

5.0 out of 5 stars Good adaptation, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see it in cinema, after reading the book.
I loved it. Macon (Jeremy Irons) and Lena were incredible. I actually didn't like Lena much in the book, but in this she was more likeable and nice. Emmy Rossum was a superb choice for Ridley.
Ethan was disappointing. They turned his character into a clownish, dim looking, red-neck. Sometimes he could be funny, but I think they overdid it. Most of the humour was introduced through him e.g. him falling over and being idiotic.
It's faster paced than the novel (a good thing- in the middle it was soo boring. Just him going on about his relationship with Lena. Books 2-4 are better) and more streamlined. They combined the characters of Marian and Ama. It worked surprisingly well.
I enjoyed the special effects, atmosphere, and setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice entertainmant, 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
Haven't the time to read the book yet, I watched the movie first. It is okay for now, but now I can'z wait to start the first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Created, 24 July 2014
Barry (BELFAST, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
OK I read the books after the movie, and loved them, and I agree the film is a different animal to the book series (which I haven't finished but can already see how different it really is). The movie is good, at least I like it, but be aware if you've read the books, just look at them as 2 different stories and you'll avoid that whiny "the books are always better than the film" snobbery that nobody likes.
The movie is Beautiful to look at, some really stunning scenes! The love story is engaging though the supernatural story line isn't really given the development it needs, but its still watchable regardless.

I really wish they were making another movie, alas it doesn't look like it

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
I was not sure what to expect, however i actually thoroughly enjoyed it and now want to read the set which is something.

5.0 out of 5 stars MysticAl CreAtures, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
I Am lucky to hAve obtained this BeAUtiful creAtures dvd At my wAlmArt job As A holiday promotion that cost me less thAn two dollARs. The BeAutiful CreAtures movie centers Around A teenAge girl by the nAme of lenA duchAnes who hAs strong supernatural Abilities that Also put her At odds And As A social misfit Among other men And women in her new community. Another teenAge boy by the nAme of EthAn WAte sees the beauty in lenA And fAlls in love with her even with his knowledge of her being considered A social pAriAh. She inherited her Abilities to be A powerful witch within her fAMily And that sAme mAgic hAs the potential to become destructive when her Anger is provoked by others. There Are pop culture nods within the movie in regArds to referencing the movie titanic, leonArdo dicAprio, And kAte winslet. However, I Also enjoyed hearing the healing quote by one of the Actresses in the movie mentioning that God gives us what we cAn hAndle even if we don’t believe it ourselves. I think ViolA Davis wAs the one who wAs the Actress who mentioned that quote in the movie-About god giving us what we cAn hAndle even if we don’t believe it ourselves. However, that quote wAs A healing bAlm to my eArs As well as my soul/spirit And something that I definitely needed to be reminded of At that moment. The great gAtsby movie trailer, icons book trAiler by mArgAret stohl, And jAck the giant slayer movie trailer Are Among some of the feAtures of this dvd.

Beautiful Creatures [Blu-ray]
Beautiful Creatures [Blu-ray] by Richard LaGravenese (Blu-ray - 2013)