5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical delight
The story of a retirement home for aged musicians who put on a gala performance show each year to contribute to keeping the home open. Their next show must raise more money as economic times harden. When the famous embittered diva Jean Thornton (Maggie Smith) arrives, then who better as a draw card? But she must be first persuaded to break her vow of never singing again...
Published on 3 Jan. 2013 by R. C. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cast, but overall a bit disappointing
Such a star line up of 'veteran' actors and Maggie Smith is amazing in any role she plays.
However in view of all the plaudits for this film, I found it a little disappointing - especially as it ended somewhat abruptly.
Glad I did not pay more for it! (thanks Amazon for good price - as ever)
Published 20 months ago by strudel trigg

‹ Previous | 190 91 92146 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars luvvieland, 25 Sept. 2013
C. Hughes (france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Unrealistic and sentimental it is a vehicle for OAP actors to upstage one another. No retirement home ever looked like this.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of potential, 7 Jun. 2014
C. JONES "CJ" (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Was there ever a better of example of potential going to waste? The location was magnificent. The photography first class. The acting talent on hand possibly unparralleled. Plenty of potential in the storyline for a truly memorable film. So what went wrong? Perhaps in the end no-one involved had the energy to do this project justice. We can all rage against the dying of the light, but eventually, however much we all want to hold on to it, the light finally dies. I'm afraid that for all the great talents involved, this was a film too far I'd been meaning to watch this film for a good while. I've ended up renting it, so it will shortly pass out of my life. I really love these people, but I'm afraid I won't be buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good., 4 Feb. 2015
Redsgang (Nottinghamshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Gentle, entertaining. Billy Connolly is a bit of a scene-stealer but overall, very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars quartet dvd, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched the dvd was not quite the story I was expecting but it was ok thank you x

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't expect the taste of peaches, if you eat apples., 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
First and foremost: I went gray. Maybe this opens the eyes and ears and the heart (called preconception) to enjoy the film and to leave the cinema cheerfully and gayly.
The film hasn't been intended about Verdi - it isn't said by the "film maker" anywhere - it's about feelings.
I love the actors. I admire Jean's and Reggie's change in facial expressions from being apprehensive and worried to happiness (This is the film's plot.). I think Maggie Smith and Tom Courtenay did it dead greatly. And Pauline Collins - I remember her from "Upstairs-Downstairs" - is awesome. And last, but not least I discovered Sheridan Smith as a wonderful actress.
And then there are these beautiful pictures of the park around the house, with old trees as damaged as we old people are.
Yes (Cissy quotes it): Old age is no place for sissies. And you can decide, if you are one or not.
And those people being not gray yet are asked for some empathy.
And actually, by the way: There's no accounting for taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hit Quartet, 6 May 2015
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Fast delivery, lovely film. Doesn`t follow the playscript entirely, but a joy to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this film, 14 Feb. 2015
Amazonian (West Lothian Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
A lovely film, heart-warming, funny and with a superb cast of veteran actors. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
Not bad, especially as I love the cast! Not the greatest film but thoroughly enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quartet!, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
What a disappointment , a film with Maggie Smith is usually a real hit - I hated this film & didn't finish watching it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Death warmed up and the maiden - CONTAINS SPOILERS, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
I struggle to see the audience for this, a feel-good movie about loss and reconciliation in a retirement home for singers and musicians starring every geriatric English actor who's never been on "Last of the Summer Wine". The question of course is whether the new arrival at Beecham House Jean Horton joins her former colleagues or not. Well the most dramatic thing that happens is a bunch of flowers is thrown over a railing, and you don't get to hear them sing or lipsynch. I could imagine an ageing audience falling for this but for the foul language, and for anyone else the plodding sentimentality makes it feel as well as look like death warmed up. With such graceful, witty and touching films available as The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, I really can't see this getting an encore.

‹ Previous | 190 91 92146 | Next ›

Quartet [DVD]
Quartet [DVD] by Dustin Hoffman (DVD - 2013)