5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you question your own sanity that you read this stuff, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Header (Kindle Edition)
I picked up Header the minute I knew it had been re-released as I had been wanting to read this book for a long long time. I've loved Edward Lee's work for a good few years now and have read the majority of what he's written. I especially like his extreme horror and everything he writes with redneck's/hillfolk.

When you start reading the book you can tell immediately that it's one of his earlier works and I wasn't too sure if this was going to bother me but I quickly found myself immersed in the story and couldn't put it down. Admittedly it's not very long but that doesn't stop him from giving us a fantastic story line with some great characters.

If you read Lee's work you'll already know that it isn't for everyone and that he likes to push some boundaries and this is definitely up there amongst his most extreme.

There's a great foreword by Jack Ketchum talking about their early days as horror writers, the movie Header and the actual meaning behind the word but you'll have to read the book to find out what a header actually is.

I would say I would recommend this book to anyone but unless you already know what you're getting yourself in for then you might not appreciate the recommendation. You really need to enjoy your horror with that little extra sick touch or you'll spend days having nightmares and moaning about why people need to write this stuff. I however live for the type of extreme stuff that Ed Lee and Wrath James White write and can't get enough of it.

Off now to buy and read Header 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only boring bits involve a power drill!, 1 Jan. 2015
Arch Stanton (Cornwall, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Header (Paperback)
After returning home from a long stretch in prison Travis Clyde Tuckton returns to his home out in the Virginian backwoods. There he discovers that his wood shack has been struck by lightening and burned to the ground, his 'maw an paw' have died, and possibly worst yet, his granpappy's feet have been amputated by a doctor ~ after succumbing to some "blammed fancified disease called dyerbeetees"! However soon Travis's granpappy lets him in on a little family secret. A secret so repulsive and fiendishly stupid, that I can't really tell you what it is here... The secret of the Header!!
So together, from there Travis and his granpappy go on a twisted journey of cold blooded revenge, as they settle some old scores with the cracker hill~folk that done 'em wrong, the best way they know how, by dishing out a few headers..

Meanwhile, Stew Cummings Special Agent for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in Ross County, Virginia, is having a few problems of his own. His wife is suffering from some mysterious malady, and as a result, in order to pay for her ever increasing prescriptions and health care bills, Special Agent Cummings has become a badge for sale. On the payroll of moonshiners and drug runners. He knows that abusing his position is morally and lawfully wrong and that soon, inevitably, he will get caught, but Stew has no other option on his salary, not if he is to save the woman he loves so much.
That is until the Headers begin.
Realising this might be his only chance at moral salvation, Cummings vows to track down the serial perpetrators of these foul deeds, at any cost. Much to the chagrin of Chief Peerce, his redneck superior...

A good early effort from Edward Lee and his first story to really start pushing 'page for page', boundaries of decency!
For those who've not read much Lee, many of his novels fall into the category of 'hardcore horror' and are probably best left alone by those easily offended or for that matter those of a squeamish or nervous disposition.
This novella (75pages~ish ~ although there's a forward and afterword to give it a few more pages) features all the usual vulgar redneck humour (many of his stories, like Header, are comedies ~ just wild ones!), bodily dismemberment and carnal depravity one would hope for..
To all the wrong people, as usual this comes highly recommended.
To all the right people ~ Careful now..! Down with this sort of thing..!

Lee's self indulgences this time seem to be centred around pushing his luck, name dropping (Ketchum, Lee, Straker) and wanton hickspeak..

4.5/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark, twisted, macabre novella, 2 Aug. 2013
Header: By Edward Lee.

First of all, this is a very short novella. At about 77 pages, you could easily read this in a couple of hours, or a day if you paced yourself. I was a bit disappointed with the length of the book. I thought it was a novel, but that's my bad for not checking (I wasn't prepared. Japeth The Goat will be very angry). The length is the only bad thing about this book, so now, onto the positive.

This book is dark, twisted and very VERY! sick. If you are easily offended or squeamish, then do not buy this book. It will shock & disturb you in all the wrong ways. I thought Richard Laymon created the most depraved and vile characters, but Eddie Lee's characters make Laymon's look like the Brady bunch. There are no redeemable characters in this book. Everyone is a vile, twisted, and nasty piece of work. Ed Lee must have gone to the dirtiest, darkest part of his mind, in order to bring these characters to the page. There are even times where you question whither you want all the characters to live, or if it would be better if they all die an extremely horrible death.

The story moves along at a very good pace, there's gore, violence and the odd bit of story. But we didn't come here for story did we kids. NO SON! We came here for the violence. And boy is their violence. There are scenes in this book that will haunt and stay with you for a very long time. I will definitely never be able to look at a power drill in the same way again. The scenes of violence against women, will shock and disturb people. Think American Psycho. As I said before, if you are offended easily, then don't even touch this book.

Without spoiling anything, this book has one of the most satisfying and enjoyable endings I have ever read. The twist comes from nowhere, and it put a big smile on my face. Absolutely fantastic. I wont tell you what happens (Cause that would be nasty), but I hope everyone else that reads/has read this book, enjoys/enjoyed the ending as much as I did.

From the dark, twisted start, to the blood soaked finale, this is quick mindless(No pun intended) fiction. That you can enjoy, whither your looking to kill time, or your looking for something vicious and nasty to read. It will satisfy any gore hound.

I usually read King & Laymon or anything post apocalyptic. I will now be adding Edward Lee to the list of authors that I enjoy reading. I will definitely be picking up more of Mr Lee's work.

I hope you all enjoy reading this novella.

4/5 stars

IWC 2/8/13 :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Fun, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Header (Paperback)
After reading horror for many years I'd heard many people mention this book as one that just had to be read. Well now that it has been made more widely available I was able to give it a go and see what all of the fuss was about.

It's hard to describe what happens within the book without giving away for a "Header" is, and that is something which should only be found out from reading the book. But I can say it has to be one of the more brutal and twisted way of getting revenge or killing someone that I have heard of. Despite the main focus of the book being on this "Header" there is also a story of love and devotion alongside it which helps the story to move along as a good pace; and it is a wonder that the author can fit so much into the story without harming it.

If you like other stories from Edward Lee, or would like a quick read which will shock you then this would be one of the best book you could buy.

The novel was received in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly Shocking!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Header (Kindle Edition)
Firstly I would never have worked out the meaning of the title of this book. Appalling and shocking! The book is written in a Southern American language style, this I found hard to follow at first. I sometimes had to re-read to understand what was being said. However once I got the hang of it I loved it. Really felt I was in the deep south. The characters are so well written that even as despicable as they are I loved them. The ending came as a surprise...certainly didn't see that coming! Not sure I could get my 'head' around the subject matter - definitely not for the faint hearted. If you like to be shocked then this one is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Header, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Header (Kindle Edition)
So gross, it's wonderful. Lee makes the almost unimaginable seem like behaviour 'rednecks' might actually do. Your brain tells you that no one would behave in such a way but Lee almost convinces you that they might. If true, that's more than just a tad worrying. I can imagine the fun he had writing this, there is almost a child-like glee in the awfulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing as usual, 21 Dec. 2013
Loved it.

Just as disturbing and downright sick as I have come to love and expect of Edward Lee.

Recommended if you are a fan and not squeemish!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Headers Please :-), 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Header (Paperback)
This was just an awesome story with great bonding between the main characters and a very unexpected twist at the end :-) Totally worthy of the 5* rating i've given . Lets have some more of this :-D

Header