4.0 out of 5 stars A good practical addition to the kitchen

Published 3 months ago by T. Herron

4.0 out of 5 stars A good practical addition to the kitchen, 5 Oct 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I've had a slow cooker for about a year now but have only really used it for making soup, stock, and the occasional winter casserole. This book is excellent at showing what else we can do with a slow cooker and giving us imaginative and delicious recipes to try - it hadn't occurred to me, for example, to make sauces (tomato, apple, barbecue). This is also good for dessert ideas (cherry and kirsch compôte, poached pears, lemon pudding).

The introduction is good for those who are either new to slow cookers or, like me, have one but haven't been making the most of it. There are probably too many meat dishes here for me, but there are also some interesting vegetarian (pumpkin and dolcelatte risotto) and fish recipes too (kedgeree, gumbo, salmon and sweet potato chowder) - and I like that almost all are photographed in colour.

There's also a handy `basics' section at the end which includes how to make the best stock, as well as accompaniments to other recipes such as pesto, aioli, raita etc. So all in all, this is a good and very practical addition to any kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmmm!, 25 Jun 2013
sam (Leeds, W Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Love My Slow Cooker: More than 100 of the Best-Ever Recipes (Kindle Edition)
Lovely looking recipes in here, I have a list of things to try. I like how everything is explained so clearly.

Who knew you could make a fish chowder in a slow cooker?!

4.0 out of 5 stars There are no negatives, 14 Dec 2012
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Slow cooking is one of those things that comes and goes in fashion but for many it seems to always just be there. Like a comfortable chair or a pair of slippers, you know where you are with it.

The young thrusting hipsters are discovering slow cooking, perhaps due in part to the growing worldwide economic crisis. They are coming late to a party and a book like this is going to help get them up to speed and bolster their knowledge. You don't even need to have a slow cooker - but it helps! - although this book also gives a brief overview of the different types and sizes of machines available to help you make up your mind.

So you've got your machine (or soon will have it!), time to get cooking. No frills or fancies. The recipes are split into six chapters: soups & sauces; meat & poultry; fish & shellfish; vegetarian; desserts and finally basic recipes & accompaniments. In the nicest possible way this book is boring, dependable, trustworthy and down-to-earth. This is meant in a positive way. There is no arty-farty design taking over at the cost of the contents. There are no chefs or cooks prancing about dispensing their wisdom. Just a lot of good recipes. Quite formulaic and that, in this type of book is good. Generally speaking it is recipe, photograph, recipe, photograph, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Everything you need is here in spades. Clean design and typography. Prominent titling and a brief, helpful introduction. A clear overview of preparation and cooking times. Ingredients listed on the left, the instructions on the right. A textbook example of how a recipe should be presented. OK it hasn't been burdened with different pieces of nutritional information and how many pieces of salt can be found within it, but it is not that kind of book.

Many of the recipes wouldn't set the world alight or have Michelin-starred chefs champing at the bit. But again, who cares? The recipes are for us "everyday folk" to make in our kitchens as means to keep our family fed. There is a good variety and something for everyone, even though this reviewer did a virtual double-take at seeing "Cajun Chicken Liver Rice"!

So, to be clear, there are no negatives. Unless, of course, you have no plans of getting a slow cooker (but even then you could adapt the recipes). There are no negatives to the book. Just be clear what you are getting. A book that gets down to the nitty-gritty and does that very, very well indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all slow cooker users, 15 Nov 2012
I think this book has to stay on the permanently reading list, simply because it has some wonderful meal ideas.

I love my slow cooker. I think there is nothing better than throwing the ingredients together in the morning, going out for the day with the family and coming home to a nice hot freshly cooked meal just waiting to be dished up. Especially in these cold winter months. I just struggle for meal ideas and we end up having the same beef stew and sausage casserole time and time again. Well not anymore. I have fantasized about cooking curries, soups and chicken dishes in my slow cooker and now I can. I cant wait to try the French `roast' lemon and thyme chicken.

The recipes are simple and easy to follow, even with the preparation times the whole cooking process is so quick. And to top it all off I have a lovely list of dessert recipes to try out too.

If you're looking to buy a slowcooker and unsure which kind to get then definitely take a look at this book. At the front of the book there is some good advice about what shape and size slowcooker would be best for you, along with tips about portion sizes

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it too, 2 April 2014
As a newcomer to cooking let alone slow cooking I have been looking for a good looking for a good recipe book. The cooker came with three recipes. What some people call recipes for slow cooking will often mean a 2 hour casserole. It is a pity we do not speak with one voice or at least have the same definition of types of cooking.

This book is really great. There are many good and varied recipes and I have enjoyed cooking them and eating them as have friends and family. I can thoroughly recommend it for being excellent, straight forward and not complex to follow. A great book to start with and then continue

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow-Burner On The Recipes, 3 Jan 2014
T. Herron "Tailhook" (Euro Zone) - See all my reviews
I'm genuinely surprised to see the high markings for this book, given that my own experience from reading through it was rather different. I found many of the recipes to be, frankly, rather bland with little apparent thought or regard given to the real advantage of slow-cooking imparting more flavour and taste in to a dish. One example are the tagine dishes which have a list of ingredients that just do not do justice to what should be a dish that slow-cooking was made for. Key to these recipes are the blend of North African spices, Ras-El Hanout, which absolutely transform tagines and lend that authentic touch to these slow-cooked dishes. Overall, a book that just doesn't hit the spot on a great (and cheap!) cooking style; look elsewhere because there must be better out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow cooker cook book, 30 Dec 2013
Looks to be a good little book. although I haven't had time to use it yet due to eating out over Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 Nov 2013
Have only made one recipe yet but it was good. Looking forward to using it more. Would recommend it to any slow cooker owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking Slowly, 3 May 2013
MRS J E CLAYTON (Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Sent this as a surprise present to a student house and they love it. Encouraged 2 of them to do more cooking and they are saving money. Good value, very tasty and easy to follow recipes from economical to more expensive. A good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Mar 2013
Fantastic book, lots of interesting unusual recipes. They tend to be european/ morrocan style rsther than the usual traditional stews. Highly recommended.

ARRAY(0xb0ddaf90)