4.0 out of 5 stars A Poetic Study of Sin and Redemption
As the film starts we slowly discover that Marcos (Our lead) and his wife have botched a kidnapping and the child has died although we don't know how this happened. As the film progresses we follow Marcos as he tries to come to terms with his guilt.

Published 10 months ago by FDLab1

1.0 out of 5 stars Watching this film is like watching paint dry
Published 1 month ago by Skylark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Poetic Study of Sin and Redemption, 4 July 2014
FDLab1 (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle In Heaven (DVD)

Although the film has several explicit moments they are not there to arouse, they are there to provide insight into Marcos' desires and state of mind. Evidence of this is that the first sex scene is with Marcos and his wife who are both far removed from the Holywood norm and when you see Ana (the third lead - pictured on the cover) there is always the juxtaposition of seeing Marcos in an identical state.
Ana seems to be happy with her life (even though some viewers may not think this is posible as she is a prostitute) but is willing to sacrifice her happiness in an attempt to pursuade Marcos to take responsibility for his crimes.

Despite the controversy, this is a poetic film that looks at sin and redemption in various forms. It also seems to take into account the beauty in life, no matter whose, as the camera pans across different scenes (crowded railway station, urban rooftops and countryside seen from the top of a hill).

1.0 out of 5 stars Watching this film is like watching paint dry, 15 April 2015
This review is from: Battle In Heaven (DVD)
Beware! The blurb implies much sexual sauciness and the cover features an attractive young woman naked. In reality the film features a hideously obese couple who are several times shown naked. Watching this film is like watching paint dry. For the first time in years we ejected a DVD from the player after bearing about 45 minutes of dull pretension. Someone somewhere raved about this film and I ordered it. Big mistake. It may represent a landmark in Mexican cinema but Mexican has a long long long long way to go if this is where it's at. Frightful rubbish and unnecessarily sexually graphic in the opening moments. (You are actually shown the fat man's dick being sucked by the attractive young woman shown on the DVD case, as in the photograph. Nothing saucy. Totally repulsive.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Art house?, 15 Sept. 2010
It took me until the end to realise I had quite enjoyed this film. I've never seen a Mexican film before so I was quite intrigued by this, especially after reading the other reviews.
If you like a film with long shots of people not actually doing anything then this film is for you. Or you like your sex scenes to be ahem, graphic, then you'll like this film although if you buy it for the sex then don't waste your money.
Read the other reviews if you want to see what this film is about but I think it would be better watching a second time and then decide if it's pretentious rubbish or very art house!

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't see what all of the fuss is about..., 30 May 2006
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I didn't like "Battle in Heaven". I found it to be pretentious, vacuous and at times disgusting; the controversial sex scenes in particular. Did we really need to see grossly overweight actors having it off for real and have a close up of a young woman performing fellatio ? Did this really contribute to the plot in any way ? I don't think so. It ranks of controversy for it's own sake and this kind of "real sex" has already been done elsewhere,and with greater effect, in films such as "Baise Moi" and "A Ma Soeur". "Battle in Heaven" seems to profess to have philosophical tendencies and the film title seems to allude to the struggle in the lead character's soul/mind between "good" and "evil". Which side will prevail ? Who knows ? Who cares ? I enjoyed other Mexican-based films like "Amores Perros" , "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and "Man on Fire" ,but "Battle in Heaven " left me somewhat unmoved and I fail to see why it has gained such critical acclaim.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching once, 19 Jan. 2007
It is very slow, and ultimately pretty grim, but is filmed and presented in such an unusual way it is worth one go. The camera work is 'arty' and the film as far from 'Hollywood' as you can get. It opens and closes with brief but strong sex scences and has occasional strong sex throughout. The characters are interesting and all very mixed-up. The mismatch between the grossly overweight male lead and the young, slight and sexy female lead make you laugh, grimace and ultimately feel sorry for both.

3.0 out of 5 stars CAPTIVATING, 12 Feb. 2007
Danny Norris "Brigadier" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes, its captivating and I almost do not know why. Having watched it three times now, one could almost be excused for missing the plot about the kidnapped baby?

The lengthy silences make you watch in anticipation of something happening, but I guess thats all in the name of Art. Why the film has to start and finish with the BJ scene is also perhaps in the name of deep and meaningful Artistic licence, but it certainly adds to the random emotions one feels watching this film.

There are some bizarre images that will leave imprints in my mind for a very long time. A very strange film that is made up of many powerful scenes that are almost powerful enough to distract you from stringing them together to make the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange title for this movie considering ,, 14 Jan. 2007
Carol Simmons (Canary Wharf) - See all my reviews
Not really sure what the plot of the film was about; a sloath-like man who likes sex who wanders about wondering whether to hand himself in to the police for a crime that was unclear and then he does something completely out of character to someone he loves. It was slow, with a lot of waiting for something to happen time. The sex and some of the scenes quite hard to watch as the filming is very real. Strange movie. Not sure it's worth seeing, but I won't forget it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, 13 Feb. 2009
Really not sure where to begin with this review for Battle In Heaven.

Don't want to be too harsh on it in case I've just missed the whole point but at the same time I don't want to pretend that I've understood it and give it top marks.

The director's obviously gone for the artistic angle. But did that work? For me, no.
Ultra slow camera panning, or just fixed on one thing for an age and a half, just didn't do anything for me.

The other thing to note is some of the REALLY graphic sexual content.
To be fair, it does mention this on the box, but I certainly didn't realise just how graphic some of the scenes would be, made me feel like the poor actress was being properly exploited.

The plot really isn't all that either, we join the story after the fact, and you feel like you've missed half of the film before you've even begun.

To sum this up, I was left feeling pretty disappointed that I'd bought it.
The film didn't work for me on any level, even the other half, who hails from Mexico herself, was emabarrassed by it, so there you go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Giving world cinema a bad name, 14 April 2010
Ciaran O'neill (Dublin) - See all my reviews
I much prefer giving positive reviews than negative but this film annoyed me so much I felt obliged to say something. This is the kind of film that makes people say "I can't watch sub-titled films" and if it this was the first one they saw I wouldn't blame them. This is pretentious dross of the worst kind. The director's previous film - Japon - featured the "hero" having sex with an old woman. This one features fat people having sex. And that's about it. If your idea of Art is a director focusing his camera on a blank wall for five days (it was actually about five minutes but felt like days) then this is for you. I'm sure there was some profound meaning behind it but, like the rest of the film, it escaped me. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of foreign language cinema, especially French; it makes up a large percent of my DVD collection, and I have nothing against a film being "slow moving" but there has to be SOMETHING to keep you watching e.g. a plot, acting, a director who doesn't have his head up his own a** would help. This has none of those.. Truly awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a god awful film, 22 Oct. 2007
T. Critchlow "Tomc" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Truly a terribly film. It bills itself as an existential drama. Well let me tell you there's very little existentialism and absolutely no drama. Slow, plodding and with very bad acting (which is probably because none of the 'actors' are actually actors - they're just people off the street).

The only reason I kept watching is because of the ravishing beauty of the girl. No, I didn't WANT to watch it for such shallow reasons but that's all the film left me.

I usually like subtitled, slow pondering films and I like films that don't always have a 'point' or a 'plot' in the traditional sense. On paper I should really like this film but somehow it managed to grab defeat from the claws of victory.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Battle In Heaven [DVD]
Battle In Heaven [DVD] by Carlos Reygadas (DVD - 2013)