on 16 January 2013
This is revelatory rendition of the Rhapsody, partly because of Valentina's excellent performance, matched by a sympathetic orchestra, but also I think because of the fine sound engineering. The aural balance has been beautifully struck, just subtly favouring the piano over the orchestra throughout so that the soloist sings through without ever becoming submerged. This, coupled with Valentina's refined tonal control and precise, even punctilious fingerwork means that there is a striking clarity of every single note of the score. This uncovered finer layers of this piece which I had never really heard or appreciated before, and made the performance truly fresh.

The Variations concentrate the many musical moods of Rachmaninov within a single movement work. Valentina's playing captures these qualities perfectly, ranging effortlessly from spirited delicacy through languid sweetness to controlled menace, and always with a committed forward momentum. A slight cooler more objective performance perhaps than her impassioned Rach 3? But all the more poetic for that, and just as captivating albeit in a different way.

Frankly I haven't heard a finer recording of this piece.
on 21 January 2013
I first came upon this rhapsody as a teenager when I bought my first classical LP - it was on the "B" side vs Grieg's Piano Concerto, played by Arthur Rubenstein and on the RCA Red Label brand. It rapidly became one of my favourite pieces to listen to and has remained so ever since. Valentina's version is brighter and lighter, but also extremely fluid - I think this is a fantastic addition to the many recordings issued previously and I highly recommend it! Ms Lisitsa is certainly proving to be a major force in the realm of classical pianism and I hope we can hear many more examples of her brilliance over the years - I also hope that it won't take as long as the 3 years which passed between the physical recording of the Rhapsody and Concerti and their release to the public.
Note to HarveysMaster:- While Valentina certainly appears to prefer the Bosendorfer Imperial for her solo performances, if you look on Youtube for interviews with her and others on her Rachmaninov Project, in this instance she played a very fine 17 year old Steinway from Hamburg.
on 23 January 2013
i bought this download but music stopped before fully completed so not got whole download??? also no way to complain to Amazon Kindle? the computer says "too bad get lost" also will not accept my critic?????
on 21 April 2013
The Paganini Rhapsody is a wonderful work of genius and is very popular. This performance is excellent for the piano playing alone; and it is matched great recording.
on 22 January 2013
Brings new life to this well known work, superb exciting playing together with great sensitivity in the slower passages.At the bargain price just sit back and enjoy.
on 20 January 2013
this is a vibrant performance of this masterpiece - Miss Lisitsa speaks about the work on a brief excerpt on the Decca website - worth viewing