4.0 out of 5 stars OK so it's an album of covers, but they're damn good ones!
So here we have Counting Crows 6th studio album of new material and it's an album of covers. To be honest, this sounds so much like their own material, you could be forgotten it was not original songs. However, the fact that the album is not original songs is my reason for deducting a star.

Some of the original artists who recorded these songs (and therefore...
Published on 11 April 2012 by Cornish Deadhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, poor disc!
The Crows are, as ever superb in their latest album.

Yes, this is covers not new material but don't let that stop you, the band have put their own inimitable twist on every song and besides, some of these covers are so obscure that most people won't have heard them anyway so you can just pretend to yourself it's a new original album.

Where the stars...
Published on 17 Aug 2012 by Christian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars OK so it's an album of covers, but they're damn good ones!, 11 April 2012
Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Some of the original artists who recorded these songs (and therefore the songs themselves) might not be familiar to many listeners such as The Romany Rye, or Pure Prairie League. However, many will be well-known names; Dylan, Gram Parsons, Fairport Convention, Teenage Fanclub. The one thing that is consistent is that they place their own slant/style on every song.

For me, the Counting Crows were one of the best bands to come out of the 90s, and have carried on the great (modern) tradition of West Coast rock, and for me this album has not disappointed at all, in fact the opposite, it has re-affirmed my faith in them. Just under 20 years is a long time to produce only 6 studio albums so I hope it will not be too long a wait before we see another album of new material.

Packaging is a single fold-out digipak with a 24 page booklet with quite detailed comments about the songs, a worthwhile addition in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Credit Where It's Due...., 13 April 2012
J. Willis (London, England.) - See all my reviews
Never the most prolific of bands, and four years on from their last release 'Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings', i was initially sceptical when i heard that Counting Crows latest album was to be solely cover versions. Credit where it's due though, for it is actually a success. They manage to strike a decent balance between the songs that are well known, 'Ooh La La'(The Faces), 'Return of the Grievous Angel'(Gram Parsons), 'The Ballad Of El Goodo'(Big Star)', some that you might have heard like 'Meet On The Ledge'(Fairport Convention) and virtually unknown tunes such as album opener 'Untitled (Love Song)'(The Romany Rye) and 'Hospital'(Coby Brown). They also throw in a couple of songs that i never saw coming at all, like 'Coming Around' by Travis and a Teenage Fanclub number 'Start Again'. It works well because it always sounds like Counting Crows, and if you didn't know any better you could easily believe that they wrote most of the songs. Let's just hope that we don't have to wait another four years until the next album, which hopefully they will write themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it....., 12 April 2012
Mr_P (Formby, UK) - See all my reviews
I did consider giving it 4 stars only (all covers) but I think Counting Crows have delivered a sound that takes me back to their early days. I'm playing nothing else at the moment and whilst I was slightly concerned about an album of covers I have to say it's pretty perfect. What a choice of tracks and some genius choices from Adam. The opening track (untitled love song) sucks you in and the journey begins, I won't bore you with the details of each track but one thing is for certain The Crows could pass this off as original material, totally putting their stamp on each track. Highlights for me Untitled, Start Again, Mercy, Amie, Jumping Jesus and The Ballad of El Goodo. Iv'e seen this band countless times both sides of the pond and the only downside is the limited amount of albums they have produced over the 20 years.....If you are a Crows fan then what you waiting for, go buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top album, 27 May 2013
A really good album giving an insight into the music that have inspired the band , the track notes by Adam Duritz were very interesting , I ended up buying a couple of kasey Anderson albums after hearing Like Teenage Gravity.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a Counting Crow's fan, this is a keeper!, 5 Mar 2013
When I first played this cd I thought to myself, ooo no, this is way to "Country" for me. However, it was played on low volume in the car with my husband present who is not a fan. lol "Take Two" was a different story all together and by listening to this on my own at the volume it should be played at to appreciate Adam's perfect butter melting voice (13), I found that 14 out of 15 cover songs on this cd are now my favourite because he sings them. I have played this every day on the way to work since I received it, which was about a month ago and I am still not tired of it. Again, if you are a true Counting Crows fan, you will be glad to add this to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album!, 3 Feb 2014
Saw them live recently and the CD is nearly as good as the real thing. I will buy future releases

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 11 May 2013
M. J. Lock - See all my reviews
this is a wonderful product and i would truly recommend this to other people. Wonderful and thank you for a great delivery service!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot damn is it good!, 12 April 2013
The crows are back! After a four year wait they're back with an album of... Covers? Yes but they're so good that it doesn't matter, they give a unique spin on all of the songs on here, and frankly, what more do you need? Buy it now and if you're unfamiliar with them buy their first album (August and Everything After), and get ready to fall in love with them, over and over again...

5.0 out of 5 stars covers, 7 April 2013
great covers album wasn't sure until i bought it as i'm a big fan of their own work and can't fault it

5.0 out of 5 stars Yee-haw, 14 Mar 2013
I was excited to hear that Counting Crows had added a bit of country flavour to their latest album and this doesn't disappoint. Excellent if somewhat obscure covers. Fun version of Dylan and the band's 'You ain't going nowhere (Easy chair)' and worth the entire price of the disc alone for their version of Gram Parsons 'Return of the grevious angel'. It is so stuck in my head right now!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›