5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future
Published 22 months ago by Big Jim

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed
I am a massive Black Crowes fan - I have been since 1990.
I was a fan of Chris Robinson's New Earth Mud stuff.
Published 2 months ago by justiceseeker

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future, 10 Sep 2012
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
As a continuation of Big Moon ritual, this fulfils the brief and then some. Harking back to late 60's/early 70's Stones, Love and Creedence, one could argue that this doesn't take music "forward" in any way, but by revisiting a period obviously dear to Robinson's heart and investing it with modern attitudes, the spirit of the age is re-invigorated and brought bang up to date. Sprawling bluesy jams coexist with chuggling boogie and a lengthy proggy "suite" which just shouldn't work nowadays but darn well does, at least to these 50+ year old ears. I suppose this is the album's triumph and downfall at the same time, unlikely to appeal to the young 'uns but for us oldies a reminder of how good things used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feathers on the Back porch, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
It's a little bit of a rip-off to release this double album as single discs, I mean it's not as if they have their own individual concepts or themes. I would vent my annoyance at this by giving a low mark, but infuriately Robinson have created an excellent record.
Dam you Robinson! (I'm waving my fist while saying that)
The album does perhaps have a more laid back, striped down, roots feel to it compared to "Big Moon.." & makes for a extremely enjoyable listen.
It is amazing how much Robinson's song writing & musicianship has evolved over these two albums & would be fascinating if he could reproduce it when back with the Crowes.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Cosmic American Music...., 11 Sep 2012
J. Willis (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
Comprised of songs recorded at the same sessions as 'Big Moon Ritual', i did wonder whether 'Magic Door' would be made up of songs not considered good enough for their initial release, but that's definitely not the case. If anything it only goes to show the strength and depth of material at their disposal and represents a rowdier side of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood. If you bought 'Big Moon Ritual' then i assure you that you won't be disappointed. Fans of The Black Crowes will also recognise a couple of songs from earlier albums. 'Appaloosa' appeared on 'Before The Frost...' and an acoustic version of 'Someday Past The Sunset' on the 'Brothers of a Feather' album, though now it sounds like The Doors, albeit southern fried, on one of the highlights of 'Magic Door'. The band cut loose on the opener 'Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go' and 'Little Lizzie Mae', showing that they can do The Allman Bros as well as they do The Grateful Dead. The fourteen minute 'Vibration & Light Suite' is the Brotherhood at their most cosmic. I would say that of the two albums, i prefer 'Big Moon Ritual' but 'Magic Door' is not far behind, and is a very good album in its own right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feet on the Ground, 19 Sep 2012
Crispin Muir - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
I was blown away by the first album and have hardly stopped playing it, so I was really looking forward to the new album. I like this but to me it is some way short of the first, but my disappointment may be to the fact that I was hoping for more of the same. This has a more varied and less Grateful Dead feel about it, and at times it reminds me of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd and Jonathan Wilson. I still love the feel of it and the musicianship,and would recommend it to both old and young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Jan 2013
Phil T (Gravenhurst. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Door (MP3 Download)
Although I like the earlier Brotherhood album a bit better-this is is still brilliant. Other reviewers can fill you in with more details than I will- but if you are a fan of any of Chris Robinsons later work you should love this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
I am a massive Black Crowes fan - I have been since 1990.
I was a fan of Chris Robinson's New Earth Mud stuff.
However I have been really dissapointed with this. Admittedly I have only listened three times, but that's because I just can't get into it. Only 7 tracks, and even worse only 4 original tracks. The three covers are poorer versions of tracks on other albums.
The other 4 are kind of jazzy versions of new age rock songs. Its all very new age, easy listening and jazzy type of "rock", if that at all makes sense,
Real shame. I think Rich Robinson is now a superior solo artist to Chris.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dig it out and wig on out, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
At first I was not as impressed as I was with big moon ritual which was a pretty instant pleasure.however after living with magic door it reveals itself to be another masterwork.apart form the near five min of ambient(nonsense pointless)noise at the end of the sixteen minute tune.nothing will ever match southern harmony or amorica but cr is heading in the right direction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Redeemed, 26 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Magic Door (Audio CD)
After having made myself quite unpopular with my critical review of 'Big Moon Ritual', I hope to redeem myself. 'Magic Door' is an excellent album.It sounds like CRB had great fun making it, particularly the upbeat numbers which were sadly missing from Big Moon. Chris Robinson's vocals are spot on and the slower tracks have shape and melody. The only minus point is that the end of the 14 minute track contains 4 minutes of sound effects, totally unnecessary in my view and the only pretentious moment on the album. If it wasn't for this I would have given 5 stars. Thanks CR for restoring my faith in you.

The Magic Door