on 10 January 2013
Early in 2012 I read Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1) and found it to be a brilliant fantasy debut. I had high hopes for this, the second book in the series.....and I was not disappointed.

I usually find that trilogies (as I guess this will turn out to be) consist of a strong first book which sets everything up and gives you all the world-building and information you need, an equally strong third book which brings all the pay offs, climaxes and loose end tie-ups, and a second book. This second book usually consists of a lot of movement and general faffing around to get everything in place for book 3. Book 2's can sometimes be hard work and a bit of a drudge.

This is not the case with Decision Maker, not by a long way.

The story continues to tell of Issa, the Beacon, who is needed for a ceremony that will reinforce the Veil separaing the two worlds, and Kae, her protector, who knows what will happen and does not want her to take part.

With this book there is also a fairly wide cast of side characters, some good, some bad but nearly all a shade of grey between the two poles. People do things for reasons they think are right and, for me, this makes the story even better.

At the heart of all this though is a love story and this is the strongest thread. When all things play out at the end of the book a tear may well be shed, but fear not, all is nicely set up for the third book and I have every faith that the author will make it another wonderful read.
on 24 May 2013
I had small break after reading the first but the second wasn't difficult to get into at all. Actually by the end of the prologue I was hooked again. Now that I know who Issa and Kae truly are, their story becomes all the more addicting, and I need to know the conclusion.
I found this one more enjoyable than the first, I'm not sure whether it's because I understand the terminology, world and magic system better or if it just displays a faster pace.
The only negative thing I can think to say (at the moment) is that I wished the books had more description. One thing the fantasy genre truly does really well, and that other genres lack, is the description. This might contribute to why I feel this is more a romance than anything.
on 30 January 2013
Excellent when is book three
Reminds me of the lad that wrote or helped to complete legend Jordan's the wheel of time ...... possibilities ....another epic ? Time will tell . Dubious of someone else completing Jordan's work so read his own books pretty good could this girl be better ? Time will tell . I live in hope
..read
And make your own mind up.