4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking
This will chime with many who find themselves at odds with the mores of modern society. Marsh gives a balanced view, without being sensationalist. Whilst obviously writing about his own views, he manages to do so and also give credit, when due, to liberal philosophies. Worth reading.
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many quotes Mr. Mozart!
Some good ideas, clearly expressed. But Marsh quotes far too often (a string of quotes in quick succession is his way of building a case, but without enough commentary from Marsh himsel), and uses unconventional punctuation (which can be frustrating). In many sections his work reads like an 'A' level essay.
Published 18 days ago by Alastair J. Wehbeh

4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant book explaining where we have gone so wrong with ..., 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Kindle Edition)
This is a brilliant book explaining where we have gone so wrong with our freedoms/human rights. - The extremes of the Enlightenment.which began around 17th century - It is logical and well argued with many references to back up what he says.It is not bigoted in anyway. Best book I've read on this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for our time, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Paperback)
Not too long ago being liberal meant to be free from outmoded ways of thought and practice, to think well of humanity and to give generously. But today, even some liberals challenge that view. So John Marsh's timely book is a must read for anyone who wants to understand modern liberalism and its impact on society. In it he claims liberalism's philosophical foundations are collapsing and destroying the very freedoms liberals say they exist to defend. In his opinion, it is this destruction which is responsible for much of our current moral crisis.

Conceived in the Enlightenment, liberalism began as a philosophical, social and political challenge to a western Christianity compromised by privilege and worldliness. That the age of ritual deference to our social 'betters' has now past, Marsh acknowledges as a major liberal achievement. Today liberalism is the predominant ideology for the cultural elite. But when Marsh uses Enlightenment principles to test liberalism's basic assumptions, that we are born essentially 'good' and then corrupted by society, he discovers wishful thinking rather than new philosophical truth. Failing to pass the tests modern science, anthropology, sociology and history provide, liberalism collapses. And by mistaking license for freedom it unwittingly encourages poverty and inequality.

Marsh points to the scientific evidence from brain studies, genetics, neuroscience and psychology which reveal that selfishness is built-in to our human nature, not something acquired from our parents or the environment. Anthropological studies finding high murder rates among tribal people exposes the liberal idea of the 'Noble Savage' as sentimental nonsense. Meanwhile the results of sociological and historical research show how liberalism in action has deepened deprivation and led to reigns of terror.

Exercising cultural leadership liberals rename everything 'politically correctly,' and it is this which delivers their totalitarian sting. But deeper investigation reveals that 'Political Correctness' wasn't invented by western liberals at all; as Marsh rightly points out it was created by Lenin to control the inner life of everyone in Soviet Russia. And he showed no mercy to 'refuseniks;' he slaughtered them in huge numbers.

While indicating that both liberalism and communism emerged from the Enlightenment Marsh could have described in more detail how Lenin's invention entered the West. A few lines would have explained that the virus carriers were Lenin's disciples from Frankfurt University's Institute of Social Research. Set up in the 1920s as an undercover propaganda Think Tank to target western liberal intellectuals, they took the thought controlling ideology of 'political correctness' with them when they fled to America to escape Hitler in the 1930s. There, ideologues like Herbert Marcuse used 'Critical Theory' to mesmerise America's naïve elite into becoming Lenin's 'useful idiots.' Many college students on both sides of the Atlantic than became indoctrinated with 'politically correct' cultural Marxism and by the late 1960s opposition to the Vietnam War triggered open rebellion against their own institutions. And it is they, and their successors, who now encourage the West's moral and political decline.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ FOR ALL INTERESTED IN OUR SOCIETY., 7 April 2015
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Paperback)
As a child of the 60s I now find myself in middle age frustrated, annoyed and somewhat mistrustful of how our ruling elite have changed society so much that I no longer recognise my childhood and teenage years of the 1950s and 60s as being a "normal" period of growing up. By this I mean the rules, guidance Christian beliefs and laws that governed all our lives following the 2nd world war and which changes in society took a hold. Although educated to degree standards I found myself unable to understand or discuss constructively the massive changes imposed on our society in the past 20 yrs or so. This book helps change that and I find that it clearly explains many of the issues of liberal elitism, some good, many bad that have been imposed upon our society by our ruling elite.
This is a book written in such a way that it is suitable as a research document and for an easy understandable read including, dare I say it the many Christians and other religious followers in this country who feel marginalised and under attack from what is now an officially recognised
secularly ruled society. Read it and weep at how we have allowed ourselves to be taken along such a road.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking work, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Paperback)
When I purchased this book recently, I felt, from recommendations of others who had already read it, that it was likely to be a thought-provoking work. I also feared that it might be a trifle turgid and heavy going! It would appear that my expectations were both right and wrong: the book was a fascinating read, but the straightforward and direct writing style made sure it never lost its sense of purpose, nor allowed its message to become blurred. What could have been quite complex ideas were offered in such a fashion that one never had to struggle to assimilate them.
The author is quite clearly a man of "old-fashioned" views, and he has researched his subject matter very thoroughly. I found it refreshing that he was prepared to "take on" the militant atheism of such "big names" as Richard Dawkins, who actually seemed to emerge from Marsh's criticism with any pretensions of intellectual rigour left in tatters! What I wouldn't give to witness a live debate between the two of them!
Marsh puts his finger neatly on the root causes of many of the ills which beset our society, and the result of this precision is a book which can present rather a bleak outlook. Sadly, it appeared that only by implication (of a return to a bygone set of values) did he suggest a remedy for the problems. If there is such a thing as a criticism of the book that I might offer, this is it. Perhaps he is saving this for a second book. I hope so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirms the common sense view of what has being going on these past six or so decades, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Kindle Edition)
Replete with examples, references, anecdotes and current observations familiar to the socially aware the authenticity of this book is undoubted. It is a very useful antidote to the poisonous, socially destructive liberal drivel that has polluted university social science departments (I speak as an ex-OU student)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Kindle Edition)
This book makes the point that human beings are not perfect and not only that, there are some people who are just evil. Liberalism has allowed too much bad behaviour in society to prevail. We need to acknowledge that there is a dark side to humanity and to be prepared to punish those who intentionally do harm to others. A good and thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberal lies, 28 May 2015
kippaxtech (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Kindle Edition)
I found this book one of the most riveting reads I've had. This author put into a book what is screaming at me in everyday life. A narrative of events, problems and the reasons ( or at least some of them ) that have brought about the society we now live in. Happily I think I still try my utmost to hold on to the values I was brought up with and dearly hope I can pass those on to my family. Irrespective of what ever nonsense the PC brigade try to enforce on me I will always try to do the right thing the right way. If you read this and wholly disagree you're clearly one of those mentioned in this book. There is in my eyes not an incorrect analysis in this book. As an ordinary working class man from a working class background I fail to see how anyone of a similar background could disagree with the views and reasons listed in this book. If I could give this 6 stars I would. Absolutely bang on the nose Mr Marsh, well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mis-Titled?, 29 Dec. 2013
Ray V (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book for the same reason as I bought Richard Dawkins's 'The God Delusion', i.e. because I expected to disagree with it but thought the challenge would be good for me. This proved to be partly true. It got me thinking about certain aspects of the 'leftie' way of thinking which have been in the back of my mind and which the book articulates: for example, the way in which liberals have their own 'orthodoxy' that tends to silence opposition, the selective treatment of atrocities (we condemn Hitler because he was right wing and pass over Stalin, Mao etc. because they were 'on the right side'), and the way working-class children are patronised and encouraged to 'express themselves' and thus denied access to the middle-class culture that keeps liberals prosperous and comfortable.
One of the things Marsh objects to is the way people are expected to take on the whole liberal package and so denied real freedom of thought: e.g. if you support gender equality, gay rights etc. you are shot down for expressing the slightest reservation about abortion. But ironically Marsh himself lumps an enormous number of different ideas together in his category of 'liberalism'. Were Stalin or Mao Tse Tung liberals?
Marsh himself says that liberalism is not all bad. It stems from the Enlightenment and has led to a lot of change for the better: the abolition of slavery, better attitudes to minorities, etc. His objection is only to the way certain liberal ideas have been uncritically accepted and pushed to extremes. This is why I think the book's title should not be 'The Liberal Delusion' but 'Some Liberal Delusions'.

5.0 out of 5 stars It demolishes so much of our PC delusions and the ..., 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Liberal Delusion (Paperback)
It demolishes so much of our PC delusions and the damage they have done to this country while still being generous minded and not at all extreme. It also reveals the "Liberal " intolerance of anything it dislikes.

The Liberal Delusion